1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
473 Posts
I would be shocked if this happened. Labor costs too high among other things. One of which is not enough volume

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be shocked if this happened. Labor costs too high among other things. One of which is not enough volume
Well right now, Windsor assembly plant produces the Chrysler Town & Country, Dodge Grand Caravan, Ram CargoVan, Chrysler Voyager, Lancia Voyager and the Volkswagen Routan. So, I don't see why the plant couldn't handle the next generation of their minvans.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I work in the auto industry (mostly for parts manufacturers). Windsor is being retooled for a vehicle that we know by the model code RU. (The current minivan is known as RT.) Pretty much everyone knows that RU is the next-generation minivan, we just don't know what the marketing wizards are going to call it. (Chrysler Town & Country as speculated? Or will they retain the familiar Dodge Caravan nameplate?)

http://www.allpar.com/model/m/2016.html

I don't know much about it, other than that a customer of mine is supposed to be building parts for it. So, there are two pieces of that vehicle (RU) that I know what they look like ... and it wouldn't give away any secrets to say that they don't look like the corresponding parts on the current ProMaster City. ("I could show you, but then I'd have to kill you" ... that's the stage it's at right now ... non-disclosure agreements)

Now, the RT minivans (and the previous generations also) have been sold in a commercial configuration ("Ram C/V") - but the ProMaster City was supposed to replace that, presumably with the idea that the passenger "minivan" (currently RT, upcoming RU) is one body style, and the commercial/cargo configuration (a.k.a.ProMaster City) is a completely different vehicle.

Technically, it makes sense to do it that way. A cargo van wants to have a flat floor front to back. A passenger minivan wants to have seats that fold up and *then* leave a flat floor, even if it's a bit higher. The "Stow'N'Go" seats on the RT minivan required re-engineering the floor pan. They'll design it into the next one.

The existing ProMaster City will stay assembled in Turkey because the assembly plant is already there ... but when the next generations of all these vehicles start showing up, who knows; anything could happen.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for that very interesting reply, Brian P.

Anyways, whatever the plan is, it was very good news for Ontario and the rest of Canada to hear that Chrysler keeps alive its facility in Windsor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts