Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday I took a short drive to Springtown TX to meet Mike Harbour at Harbour Supply and take a look at the E Z Cool sheeting in person. It was a hot, very humid day here in north Texas. (BTW, it took a little over 10 mins to really cool the inside of my high-roof 136".) Mike stepped out to meet me as I pulled up to his big metal garage out back. I got a good look at the product. Its a little more than 1/8" thick, very flexible, very shiny on both sides, and the green closed-cell substrate seems pretty substantial for its thickness and weight. I think I could have collapsed it if I'd pinched it really hard between my thumb and forefinger. But Mike assured me you can crawl around on it without any damage. This seems about right. I was impressed enough with the apparent quality (and it looks real easy to work with) that I ended up buying 75 linear feet - 300 sq ft to do most of the van. Haven't had a chance yet to install any; there's a couple of other things I want to do first. So no direct feedback to give yet. But I can tell you that his metal shop had been sitting in the Texas sun most of the day when I arrived mid-afternoon. Inside he had roof, walls and exposed heat ducting all wrapped in the E Z Cool. One garage door was opened and nothing else. I couldn't tell any difference between the temp inside and that outside. Usually in a building like that you'd feel radiated heat instantly - they get hot without ventilation.

Since I purchased there and he didn't have to mess with shipping, etc., Mike gave me about a 25% break off the internet price. I tossed the two rolls in the back - could have done it one-handed. Mike seems like a good guy, answered all my questions and I enjoyed doing business with him.
I'll post more as I do the install and can say something about its workability and effectiveness.
http://www.lobucrod.com/

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
The product is called Low-e http://www.low-e.com
Lubocrod is just a reseller and call it EZ Cool. Sounds like you got a good deal on it but for others the best price I found is from www.houseneeds.com. I picked up a large roll of 1/4" from them to insulate my floor. I was initially going to use closed cell foam but the Low-e was cheaper.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It might be a low-e product, but its looks a little different from anything I see at low-e's website. The foam core looks different and like I said, the E Z Cool has a green-ish foam core and looks denser, rubbery-er. The cutaway photo of the low-e looks "foamy-er" to me, not like closed-cell. I'm not saying one is better or worse - I have no idea. They both seem similar, but from what I see I don't think its exactly the same product.

The greatest benefit to me from buying at Harbour Supply was that I got to check it out firsthand, that was worth the trip for me. And it was a real nice backroads drive to Springtown in my new PM on a pretty Saturday afternoon too.

So what are your impressions of the low-e applied on your floor? Or impressions from anyone else who has used a similar product in their ProMaster?

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,999 Posts
Hi,
It would be nice if you could run a little test on how well it does?

For example, on a sunny day with light or no wind before you install the EZCool measure the temperature inside the van and outside the van.

Then after you put the EZCool in do the same on the same kind of day at about the same time.

Or, maybe someone has a better idea for testing it?

I have to admit to being a little bit skeptical, but the test would tell the story.

Gary

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks Ha3Dy and jostelli-
I was ready to order the EZ cool today until I saw this post.

From what I can tell on the websites:

EZ Cool: 3/16" thick made of closed cell polyethylene microfoam with alum backing
R Value: Down = 13 Horizontal = 9.6 Up = 8.1

Low-E (4LFLS/L400S): 1/4" thick closed cell polyethylene foam with alum backing
R Value: Up to 13 (same?)

The photos of the product look very similar if not the same?

Seems Low-E is half the cost but I can only find 500 Sq Ft on the houseneeds site, EZ cool sells smaller quantities and includes tape and shipping which may help offset the costs. Im really interested in feedback on the results of these products.

Edit: Update: EZ Cool is on amazon for almost half price of their site- so the pricing between the 2 products is very close.

·
Registered
625 Posts
There's also Reflectix in the radiant insulation choices. I think it has a different internal foam, but it is available at Home Depot.

Also, realize that these insulations need an air gap to provide the best radiant insulation and get the higher R value mentioned. Otherwise they are usually around an R-1 rating.

I plan to put a layer of Reflectix on the inside of the van, after putting in Thinsulate. I expect there to be a small air gap to the Thinsulate, and if nothing else will gain the wee bit of R value of the foam itself. And close the walls off nice and clean before putting up paneling.

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
Lubocrod Harbour Supply has done a great job of advertising the Low-e product as EZ Cool. But, it's still Low-e. They are a reseller and have a nice margin. Houseneeds.com has the best prices I found and they sell 1/4" vs. 3/16". This is what I bought (100ft 18" wide 1/4"): http://www.houseneeds.com/heating/r...floor-reflective-foil-insulation-1-roll-ls180

I haven't tested it but I know the R-Value claims are "system" R-Value so I only expect around R-1 per layer when used on the floor (I have two layers under my wood floor). I was going to use regular closed cell foam but again, this was cheaper.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For me its just my first layer of defense. I'm gluing it to the sheet metal everywhere that's going to be closed off without air circulation. (ie., under the insulation) One of the biggest things folk here talk about regarding insulation is moisture, condensation and corrosion. So I figure the E Z Cool will protect the sheet metal from condensation and dampen vibration. I'm glad it has a certain r-value, but its not my main insulation or main concern really. There will be two other insulating layers with a thin air baffle between each.

I'm 600 miles away from home where my tools live and my garage stays. But I've been thinking I might go ahead and cover the sheet metal between the supports. I'll report back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts