1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to do something like either this typical black-out curtain

or
blackoutez with a Velcro

My preference would be for the first option to separate driver area from cargo bay as it's easier to just slide the curtain back and forth instead of dealing with Velcro.
However, on my high roof promaster there doesn't seem to be a way of using either magnets or tension curtain rod as the sides are uneven and are not metal, but made out
of a material like Styrofoam. I should note that I am trying to do a "no-build build", meaning I don't want to do any drilling or welding or anything that modifies body of the van.

Any opinions on how I would be able to attach the black-out curtain option with the conditions outlined above?

See two picture for what the walls look like where I would want to attach curtain rod.

thank you

Left Side

Right Side

·
Registered
2020 2500 159 HR -AL
31 Posts
I have a tension rod that rests on the styrofoam. I purchased the Velcro straps from Amazon and ran them through an opening to the side of the overhead cab and around rod. I added a piece of Velcro in the middle of overhead and put a strap there for support. Hasn’t budged in over 7500 miles with hubby yanking them opened and shut 😉

·
Registered
103 Posts
I also have a no-build build. This is how I did it. I got an adjustable tension rod (but not using the tension feature) so really any long rod/stick will do. I use very strong tape (vhb tape) to secure it in 3 points: one of the left end, one in the center, and one in the right end. The center is the easiest and strongest. It wraps around the rod and then tapes to the overheard bin. The rod itself does rest on the foam at either end, but it's not really for support, just makes things easier. And at the ends I also use some tap to secure it.

It's not perfect but it provides for quick privacy. It's not total blackout, because the way the rod rest there is still some gaps. But I don't need complete blackout, actually prefer some light to come thru, as long as it still provides privacy.

If I did want complete blackout I would need to reposition the rod higher and probably additional velcro to really press it against the van's body.

But yea, just use some really good tape. The rod and curtain aren't that heavy. So between the tape and resting it on the foam you don't need it to actually hold that much weight.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ours is a LT, but first we cut down the black styrofoam.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Vehicle door White Automotive tire Hood Light Automotive design

And then we inserted a tension rod with the curtain.

Curtain Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tints and shades

Maybe you'll be able to do something similar with your HT?

·
Registered
2019 159 High Top - White, of course!
408 Posts
I installed closet rod holders on the sides above the shelf, to hold an expandable shower rod. I used VHB tape to secure the closet rod holders. When the curtains are pulled shut (three blackout curtains with the black side facing the cab), there is no light leaking from the house part of the van into the cab. From the front, outside it just looks like an empty unoccupied van.

Driver's side:

Passenger side: (switch is a dimmer switch for the overhead lights)

The bar does make it a little harder to access the overhead shelf, but it also serves to hold everything in place while driving.

·
Registered
'17 136 HT Black
332 Posts
If you plan on keeping the foam blocks, then the answer is staring you in the eyes.
I use a hi strength tension rod and it fits perfectly in the round recesses in the foam, almost like it was meant to be. No issues after nearly 25k miles.
Door Automotive exterior Gas Tints and shades Auto part

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you plan on keeping the foam blocks, then the answer is staring you in the eyes.
I use a hi strength tension rod and it fits perfectly in the round recesses in the foam, almost like it was meant to be. No issues after nearly 25k miles.
View attachment 71800
yes I do see what you are talking about, the recesses even have plastic caps. But it feels like the few inches of the sides will not be covered by the curtain. Or am I wrong?

·
Registered
'17 136 HT Black
332 Posts
That depends, mine had a partition that I removed exposing the metal and rivnuts. I originally tried magnets glued to the fleece, but that didn't work very well. I ended up using suction cup hooks and the bolts from the partition. I also made some grommets in my fleece material, and it covers about 99% of the light. The foam block areas can allow a little light to peak through at night.
Trunk Wood Bumper Flooring Rectangle
Dress shirt Sleeve Collar Blazer Button

·
Registered
1 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted
I also have a build that does not require any construction. This is how I went about it. I bought an adjustable tension rod (but didn't use it), but any long rod/stick will suffice. I secure it in three places using extremely strong tape (vhb tape): one on the left end, one in the middle, and one on the right end. The centre is the simplest and most powerful. It wraps around the rod before adhering to the overheard bin with tape. The rod itself rests on the foam at both ends, but this isn't for support; it's merely to make things simpler. I also use some tap to fasten it at the ends.
It's not ideal, but it'll get you some privacy quickly. There are some gaps in the blackout due of the way the rod rests. But I don't want total darkness; in fact, I like some light to come through as long as privacy is maintained. If I wanted total blackout, I'd have to move the rod higher and add more velcro to properly push it against the van's body. But, sure, use some high-quality tape. The curtain and rod aren't particularly heavy. So, between the tape and laying it on the foam, it doesn't have to bear a lot of weight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts