Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tapping into the endless wealth of experience here.

Any one seen one of the prime design rear door clamp on ladders? Thoughts?

I want a ladder but not sure if I want to feel silly for bolting on a cheap ladder and possibly regret it, or feel silly for spending 3x as much to not have to commit.

Either way, it seems every addition I make I love it all the more. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
URL for that puppy?
So here is a competing one in stainless. https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-St...7-b4d4-466b-8c26-2639359664eb&pf_rd_i=desktop
It does need two holes drilled in the door bottom though. I think the light weight of the Eurocampers one is a plus and aluminum lasts but does get grey if not polished.
I like the idea you can install it w/o drilling, but my van has holes everywhere so what does it matter?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
There has been mention on this forum of rear door-seal problems (dust and water) and ensuing dealer service hassles. Just to be safe (paranoid), I'm going to avoid loading the doors with tires, bikes, me on a ladder, etc. I'll get a telescoping ladder instead and stow it on the inside of a back door. Might be cheaper, too.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
URL for that puppy?
So here is a competing one in stainless. https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-St...7-b4d4-466b-8c26-2639359664eb&pf_rd_i=desktop
It does need two holes drilled in the door bottom though. I think the light weight of the Eurocampers one is a plus and aluminum lasts but does get grey if not polished.
I like the idea you can install it w/o drilling, but my van has holes everywhere so what does it matter?
I have the stainless steel ladder mentioned above.

It does the job in getting me up on top (and down) from the van, and the door is strong enough to support the weight. However I will be making an improvement as soon as I get a stainless steel plate sized for the bottom of the ladder. Presently there are 2 (supplied) large sheet metal screws holding the bottom of the ladder to the van so I want to get an 1/8" or 1/4" thick SS plate to be placed between the bottom of the ladder and the door. I will also cut a rubber gasket to fit between the plate and the door and use the existing 2 holes for SS bolts instead of the sheet metal screws mentioned above. This will add more support to the bottom of the ladder and the door itself.

I will also be getting a telescoping ladder that will be stowed on the inside of one of the rear doors. This will be an Xtend and Climb 780P which is 12.5' tall when fully extended. I have found that when my roof is loaded with Kayaks and the Skybox 21 I need to be able to reach points in front of Kayaks, it's difficult to get over these from the back. I may also consider removing the SS ladder from the back door if the Xtend and Climb works out well, this will keep unwanted visitors off of the van if I am not around.

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the insight, Gang. This forum is such a win.

What I'm hearing is a strong trend away from rear door ladders and moving towards the stow away ladders. Seems like a inexpensive gamble. Thanks for the info. Ill report back.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
I have a telescoping ladder and some foam noodle cushions to protect the paint on the PM. I saw forum member Eric's (z120pi) post and decided that his ladder would work well for me!

His storage spot

His thread... lots of great info and ideas. (he picked the perfect color for a Promaster!)
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47409

I keep mine in my basement, and I'm sure there are other places to store it. I never thought about others deciding to climb up a ladder on the side of my van, but something worth considering! Do some research... not all telescoping ladders are created equally safe... and watch those fingers when un-telescoping!

ed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, strangers helping themselves is a consideration I had not had.

On paper (screen), the folding ladder is the way to go. I ordered the same on Eric has. Judging by his build out, I say he's no slouch when it comes to doing it right.

Thanks gang!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is the reason for the rear door ladder to allow walking on the roof? Can you walk on the roof without causing dents?

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
Xtend & Climb 760P 10.5 foot. Available at Amazon, Home Depot and others for about $150, although I recall seeing some reports of possible counterfeits on Amazon.
Beware of cheap imitations! If one of those locks gets loose or doesn't latch correctly, you're going airborne.... Also, if you get one, play close attention to the latch release process - especially where NOT to put your hands.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had this ladder installed for about four months. Its rained for 11 out of the 13 days and no water has come in the door.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm going with a telescoping ladder. Having a ladder fixed to the vehicle is like putting a sign up saying "climb me", especially in 3rd world countries where kids may be curious. If they want it off the top, they will have to bring their own ladder.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have had this ladder installed for about four months. Its rained for 11 out of the 13 days and no water has come in the door.
Same here...no issues. Great ladder.

I suppose if are worried about ladder climbers you could put a piece of wood , plastic or coraplast on the ladder with some ties.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I'm going with a telescoping ladder. Having a ladder fixed to the vehicle is like putting a sign up saying "climb me", especially in 3rd world countries where kids may be curious. If they want it off the top, they will have to bring their own ladder.
Now would that be Canada or Mexico or ?? I’ll get some push-back probably but neither are third World countries IMHO. Perhaps you plan to ship the van to Venezuela, recently made third world by it’s government with the aid of foreign meddling? Besides, everyone in Mexico has a 32 foot ladder just in case.

Reactions: sfdafna
1 - 20 of 30 Posts