Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before the 2002 facelift

Facelifted (in Brazil the facelift only came in 2006, when the 3rd-gen Ducato on which the ProMaster is based was introduced in Europe)

Even UPS uses it in my country

Apart from the odd location of the refuelling port, its more conservative design may seem more appealing to the average Joe - it even resembles the stereotypic step-van in spite of being a little narrower. Honestly, it gots me wondering why Chrysler didn't offer a stripped version of the ProMaster chassis to be fitted with a step-van body.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotta agree with you, the design really doesn't matter so much for a work vehicle, but it would be easier to break some initial resistence from some possible buyers. Anyway, I still can't understand why there is no bare-chassis version as it's available in Europe (widely used for Class A motorhomes back there).

·
Registered
129 Posts
YES! Most euro vans are like this. Drives me crazy that RAM is cheaping out on what could be an option.
Or they could have re-worked the door panel so that you don't have to drive down the road doing what I refer to as the "gangster lean", in order to use the arm rest. I guess there are a lot of things that they have in Europe that they think we won't like. For now I'm just glad they kept the PM front wheel drive. Unlike Ford, who I think is just ruining the whole concept of their Transit by going from front to real wheel drive.

·
Registered
886 Posts
There are so many options for the Ducato that honestly I don't understand why they're not brought to America...
They are available in my opinion. You just can't order 1 or 2.

A chassis like that goes to customers who order 100+. They get them configured as needed.

We once got Detroit to pull 150 trucks off the production line exactly like we wanted them. Minus the cab and front axle. We designed and built 4WD crash rescue trucks.

If Winnebago wants them, they get them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They are available in my opinion. You just can't order 1 or 2.

A chassis like that goes to customers who order 100+. They get them configured as needed.

We once got Detroit to pull 150 trucks off the production line exactly like we wanted them. Minus the cab and front axle. We designed and built 4WD crash rescue trucks.

If Winnebago wants them, they get them.
But if it's not readily available for the plumber who just needs one, it doesn't count to me as available.

·
Registered
886 Posts
But if it's not readily available for the plumber who just needs one, it doesn't count to me as available.
I'm talking about the photo posted of the chassis with no roof. A partially finished cab.

Nobody is going to buy 1 or 2 of those. They are for big companies doing hundreds of custom vehicles in their own production plants.

We're getting the topic all confused here.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Or they could have re-worked the door panel so that you don't have to drive down the road doing what I refer to as the "gangster lean", in order to use the arm rest. I guess there are a lot of things that they have in Europe that they think we won't like. For now I'm just glad they kept the PM front wheel drive. Unlike Ford, who I think is just ruining the whole concept of their Transit by going from front to real wheel drive.
Based on Ford ads for Euro Transits, the previous generation Transit was available in FWD, RWD, and AWD. And that doesn't appear to have changed with latest Euro Transit.

In US, Ford has apparently decided to only market the RWD models. Maybe their market research indicated that by limiting models to RWD only initially, that we would see it as a more direct replacement for Econoline (like Ford tough claims). I personally expect that an AWD option will eventually be made available. And if ProMasters do well, a FWD Transit option may not be out of the question for US. Just my guess, or wishful thinking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts