Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been plowing through posts for a day or two, looking for solid info on how people like to route their battery cables from the van batt. back to the house batteries. Is there a typical path that folks prefer? Would love some advice or a redirect to known threads. Right now I'm planning to have my house batteries on the right side of the van, just behind the sliding door. Maybe this is crazy or stupid, since it's electing to make a longer-than-optimal run, but I have a great spot in my lay-out for house power in that spot, so hoping to make it work and just pay the premium for bigger wire. Once I get a solid idea of the routing I'll use the Blue Sea calculator and see what I'm in for in terms of wire gauge. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Out of the battery box, under the foot well plastic, under the mat to rear of the driver's seat, down the step and into a groove that's cut into the polyiso insulation under the floor to wherever.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Depending on your year and options, you might have the upfitter connection in the passenger B pillar. That's an always hot 70A (?) fused connection. I went from there up the pillar, across the top of the slider and down to my batteries near the wheel well on the passenger side.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Depending on your year and options, you might have the upfitter connection in the passenger B pillar. That's an always hot 70A (?) fused connection. I went from there up the pillar, across the top of the slider and down to my batteries near the wheel well on the passenger side.
I remember that someone said it was a fairly high amperage. I didn't think those little connectors could support that high a current. But if that's the spec, they must have some thick cables going to it.

I guess one needs to be careful creating the connections as a poor quality one will get hot (possibly dangerously so) at the max rated current.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well lucky me, turns out I have the upfitter connection in the right B-pillar! I found a cable route out under the upfitter tray, into the passageway under the sliding door, and right into the area rear of the door where I want to install my batteries. Nice and direct. Now I just need to find a connector that matches the stock upfitter plug (MTA 4440400). I reckon that info is in the forum somewhere, but if anyone knows where I can purchase such a thing, let me know.

·
Registered
759 Posts
If I remember correctly, my van had the plastic hosing for the connectors, but not the metal connectors. MtBiker on the forum had done a bulk purchase from Europe and was selling pairs cheap. PM him to see if he still has any.

The connector is an M800. I think MtBiker used 8 AWG for his run.

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2014/van/docs/vf/euppowerconn.pdf

·
Registered
793 Posts
Wire Size

Well lucky me, turns out I have the upfitter connection in the right B-pillar! I found a cable route out under the upfitter tray, into the passageway under the sliding door, and right into the area rear of the door where I want to install my batteries. Nice and direct. Now I just need to find a connector that matches the stock upfitter plug (MTA 4440400). I reckon that info is in the forum somewhere, but if anyone knows where I can purchase such a thing, let me know.
The upfitter wire size is sized for that run. You have to be careful if you are adding a cable onto it at the pilar as that changes the length calculation for the wire. The upfitter wire both black & red to that location on my 2018 PM was about #6 . As I used that 70amp supply I abandoned the factory #6 and had to go with #2 for a 2% voltage drop based upon 14v 70amps & my total cable run

I believe the upfitter cable length starter battery to pilat is about 6’ for the red & 6’ for the black adding up to 12’ total or maybe a bit longer. If you connect to that whatever the total length you add to it will need to be taken into consideration

FYI; Wire Barn has a good wire size calculator

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm brand new to this forum. I'm facing the same task of connecting the Van battery to my house batteries. I'm concerned about the wire size in the upfitter box. Looking at the photos in the pdf attached by ThomD, it looks like I could just connect my positive wire to the stud on the van battery that's connected to the 70amp fuse indicated as the Power Connector Fuse Location. Can anyone comment on that strategy?

·
Premium Member
7,775 Posts
If you do not use the upfitter for other feeds you will be fine. I did not use it due to the location being on the opposite side of the van from my electrical.

·
Super Moderator
7,464 Posts
Can’t understand why they would have chosen that location either. Totally useless. When I ordered my new van I didn’t even give a second thought to not adding the upfitters connection (even for $35) a total waste. If I had it in a van wouldn’t even consider using it!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
@keeponvaning
Did your van still come with the aux and fan buttons on the dash, left of the steering wheel, without the upfitter stuff?
Wondering if that's part of it or a separate option.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
My electrical will be on the floor, between the slider and pass rear wheel well. So, if I used the upfitter cable in The B pillar, I would have to have a connection there and run more wire over the slider and down.
I don't want any splices between point A & B and like RV8R pointed out, I'd feel better with 2ga wire if I'm doubling the distance.
I want the shortest distance possible, so whatever that is. I may bury it in the floor insulation, like the pics posted here.
The connections in the B pillar are convenient if you want rear speakers or have a use for the aux and fan buttons on the dash. Otherwise I agree that it's not of much use in a practical DIY camper build.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
You're right, I really don't want to bury it.
I don't think my floor will be thick enough for conduit.
I was considering running conduit under the van.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the prompt replies. My house batteries will be on the driver side around the wheel well, so connecting directly to the van battery and running down that side is the most convenient for me; and I can use the right size wire. The Circuit Wizard app from Blue Sea recommends AWG 4.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
If I wasn't doing a shower or didn't need to have it on the driver's side, that's route I would take.
Most direct route, shortest distance possible is always ideal.

·
Registered
140 Posts
FYI: I just messaged MtBiker and he is sending me the inserts for the power connector. My van (2019) had the housing for the big power connector.

For the upfitter connector, I found these on eBay:

Upfitter connector + speakers:

Upfitter connector only:

Speaker connector only:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts