Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm in the early stages of my van build. I'm planning to eventually have 2 or 3 solar panels mounted on a roof rack. I'm trying to get the sub-floor and some preliminary insulation knocked out this weekend and start on the pre-wire.

If I could go ahead and do the pre-wire for the solar that goes from the roof entrance to the charge controller location I would be able to start on the interior wood trim before I had the rack and panels in hand.

Is it possible to hook up the wires to the box from the inside on the roof where the solar wires plug into? I watched videos on it and tried to find info on it but I'm not exactly how the wires connect together at that junction box. I want sure if they plugged in from both sides or if they simple ran through the box.

·
Super Moderator
10,163 Posts
You can do it either way (of course) but why have more connections than you need? Most people just buy a piece of solar panel to solar controller wire the correct size for their panel and controller wattage (I used #8 as I recall). It will come with one male and one female connector on each end. You cut the cable in half and connect the connectors end to the panel output (you can't mix them up) then just run the ends with no connectors down through a bushing in your box on the roof (or however you plan to run the cables in). A 50' cable should be more than enough for most people/systems.

Here is a photo of the wires going into my controller through the roof

here is an image of the cables from my panels going into a 4" sq electrical junction box with weathertight bushings and then through the roof.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, Guapo. I have an EE friend doing my solar install. He also designed my battery management system. Engineering stuff is not normally my cup of joe, so take this for what it's worth...

If your junction box is at all like mine, it will have some kind of terminal bus bar inside. Kind of like this. A heavy duty wire will go from your battery kit, up the wall, through a hole in the roof, and (in my case), directly into the junction box. There it will connect to the lead post on the bus bar.

If I understand your question correctly, you can certainly do all this, including installing the junction box, running the main wire to it, and hooking that wire right into the bus bar as a first stage. Later, your solar guys can come along and do the final hookup to the panels. (That is, so long as your junction box can stay sealed against the weather in the meantime.)

My junction box happens to be custom-made, so your mileage may vary. Here's an example of zampsolar's connection box, though, and as near as I can see, it should work the same.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts