Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
19’ Promaster 2500 136” DIY Camper Build
64 Posts
I looked into them and they are very pricey and require a bunch of drilled holes. I guess it depends what you are using it for?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked into them and they are very pricey and require a bunch of drilled holes. I guess it depends what you are using it for?
Our van will be our family camper van to travel around. Most of the ones I found are like a kit with holes that will line up with existing holes. I was planning on going through and do all the insulation and just finish the walls with these pre made panels. Just haven't come across any videos or anyone doing a diy van using these and was just wondering why perhaps I'm missing something that everyone is aware of.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,254 Posts
They are to expensive to be in a Bob Well's video and they are not sexy enough or overpriced enough for Vanlifers or Adventure Vans.

:)

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,254 Posts
I've only seen one build using them. One draw back for me is losing inches on the walls. They makes sense if you just want to get them done quick. You also have to figure out how to mount the other stuff in the van.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have the legend panels and it took 3 shipments to get a set that wasn't freight damaged. The holes also don't line up perfectly so I think they're very overpriced. titanvans.com just started selling wood panels and their builds seem top notch.

·
Premium Member
19’ Promaster 2500 136” DIY Camper Build
64 Posts
I think price and modularity is what keeps most people from getting a pre-made kit. Especially if you are planning to add windows. If its a DIY build paneling is far less costly and not nearly as time consuming as you think. I have seen a multitude of those panel kits in other contractor vans, and I wasn’t very impressed things don’t line up as precisely as you would think. Once I saw a couple of vans in person with these kits I said to myself “I can do an equally quality job just by guesstimating the cuts.”

That titan wood panel kit looked awesome until I saw the price and is what inspired me to do my own wood paneling. I spent about $400 and that included all of the power tools and materials. Paneling is actually pretty easy even without a template. I know for a fact that those pre-made kits will also need minor trimming and modification, this van flexes a lot and from taking measurements in other PM vans the variables can be anything from 1/8” to 1/2”.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,995 Posts
Has anyone used those pre made wall panels in their van conversion? Something like this Legend Fleet Insulated Duratherm 5/16" Ceiling/Roof Liner, ProMaster

Was just wondering if anyone has and if you can some info on it. Thought it would be an easy and clean installation. TiA
Hi,
I'm just curious -- if someone offered a cheap ($20?) set of paper templates to cut the wall and ceiling panels to exact size would you be inclined to cut out your own wall and ceiling panels?
That is, is it mostly having a good way to get the panels cut to exact size easily that makes you want to go with precut panels?

Gary

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I don't think those panels would work very well in a custom camper build. Especially if you pay all that money and then have to cut holes for windows and screw cabinets to them, etc. I'd rather make custom panels around the build.
Something like that would be nice if you were leaving it a cargo van and just wanted a cleaner look, or something to quiet it down a bit, maybe protect against scratches.
But they're way too expensive.

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,003 Posts
All things considered, wall panels were one of the easiest things we did. Even the ceiling panels were not very hard to do. The materials don't have to be expensive. I think they are imposing because one might look at the panels and imagine they are heavy or awkward, but with two people they were simple to do.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,254 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts