Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a new owner of a 2020 HT 159" and am planning to add a small powered subwoofer under the passenger seat. My question is about the Upfitter rear speaker connection behind the passenger B pillar cover. I plan to tap into the audio signal on the connector and was wondering if I can also use the 12V power on the connector (pin 1 on the diagram below)? I already have the Tyco connector and pins. Also, is there a good ground location behind the b pillar cover where the upffitter connections are located or any other ideas where others ran the ground wire? Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here are pix. Make sure you orient the diagram to your actual connector. For example, as you can see, the blank pin 6 on mine is on the bottom left.

CC8C867B-89C7-43A2-9313-176C5A0CCE5B.jpeg F34F8D34-1E6C-45DA-B8DB-F172DC5C7239.jpeg

Reactions: johsti

·
Registered
53 Posts
I installed a Kicker Hideaway under the drivers seat. I used tap splices to wire it into the back of the Upfitter without using the big molex. I popped the molex out and tapped right into the wires. For power I went directly to the van battery. The run is really short because the battery is under the floor on the drivers side. I imagine you will have the same ease of connection to the battery from the passenger seat. The factory floor is pretty easy to snake wires under.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I put one under the drivers seat and just ran the power wires to the battery. It is so close.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Has anyone tried using the 12V power in the rear speaker upfitter connector to power a small amp? This is the red and yellow wire in the image you posted (looks to be slightly larger gauge than the speaker wires). It would be very convenient to tap into power and the audio signal with one connection through the upfitter plug and then ground to the chassis under the passenger seat.

I installed a Kicker Hideaway under the drivers seat. I used tap splices to wire it into the back of the Upfitter without using the big molex. I popped the molex out and tapped right into the wires. For power I went directly to the van battery. The run is really short because the battery is under the floor on the drivers side. I imagine you will have the same ease of connection to the battery from the passenger seat. The factory floor is pretty easy to snake wires under.

View attachment 65563

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
410 Posts
Has anyone tried using the 12V power in the rear speaker upfitter connector to power a small amp? This is the red and yellow wire in the image you posted (looks to be slightly larger gauge than the speaker wires). It would be very convenient if to tap into power and the audio signal with one connection through the upfitter plug and then ground to the chassis under the passenger seat.
I would go directly to the battery if anything more than the smallest amp. Amp's like lots of amp's.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I imagine you could but I would be concerned about the gauge of the wire and the length of the run to that connector. If the amp pulls too much current that wire will burn up and cause a fire, sounds way too risky to me. You are only ~2 additional feet from the battery. Use the battery. The run will be trivial. I had to run the wires for the speaker hookups from my sub which is under the the drivers seat to that connector. It was trivial.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
That power wire is the same gauge as the speaker wire. I wouldn't power an amp with it. I couldn't read any power on that wire with the meter. I read somewhere that the upfitter has to connect it on the radio side if it's used. Now I'm wondering if it's a remote wire and only has power if the radio is on. I'll have to check it tomorrow. If it is hooked up and powered by the radio, it can used as the remote for the amp.
I would go right to the battery for power, like mentioned. Or, if you have the upfitter stuff in the B pillar, there should be a fused 4 ga wire in there for power.

·
Registered
109 Posts

View attachment 65563
Thanks for the info on wiring. How did you guys mount the sub under the driver seat? Looks like there’s some rubber hosing up in that cavity looking from under the van. I didn’t want to punch through and accidentally screw something up down there. Just wondering how everyone else mounted the sub. I did mine front to back and the two screws in the front went in no problem, but I haven’t fastened down the back yet a si couldn’t get them to grab and was too afraid to use the longer screws I had on hand for fear of hitting something underneath lol.

·
Registered
109 Posts
That power wire is the same gauge as the speaker wire. I wouldn't power an amp with it. I couldn't read any power on that wire with the meter. I read somewhere that the upfitter has to connect it on the radio side if it's used. Now I'm wondering if it's a remote wire and only has power if the radio is on. I'll have to check it tomorrow. If it is hooked up and powered by the radio, it can used as the remote for the amp.
I would go right to the battery for power, like mentioned. Or, if you have the upfitter stuff in the B pillar, there should be a fused 4 ga wire in there for power.
I just confirmed that red and yellow wire on mine has power all the time. I was hoping it would only come on whenever the radio is on so I could use it for my power control wire on the compact sub I just mounted, but it does in fact have power all the time.

Does anyone know what color wire on the mid size upfitter connector has 12v Accessory power? I’ve seen the diagrams, but the connector on my 2018 doesn’t match the dang diagram I’ve seen posted! That’s the only thing left that I need to power my new sub.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
On mine, the only one that has 12v on ignition (besides one of the relayed aux power) is a small gauge light blue with yellow stripe.
Mine is a 2019. Not sure if color codes changed year to year
KIMG1129.JPG

Might work for a trigger, but not power.

·
Registered
109 Posts
On mine, the only one that has 12v on ignition (besides one of the relayed aux power) is a small gauge light blue with yellow stripe.
Mine is a 2019. Not sure if color codes changed year to year
View attachment 65738
Might work for a trigger, but not power.
That’s exactly the one I just tried using as I found the blue and yellow color on another upfitter diagram and yes, just trying to use it as a trigger, not actually powering the unit. Unfortunately my sub still seems to be staying on all the time, so not sure what’s up with that, unless it’s just because I had the battery disconnected and just re-connected it. Don’t know if maybe that effects it and has accessory fired up for a while.

Need to figure that out and programming the rear speakers. I went through the “audio engineer” menu and changed speaker layout to 8x08 but unfortunately it still says “not coded” for both rear speakers even after going through that. If anyone has any ideas or ran into this same thing, would love some advice. This is a 2018 if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I mounted mine using some included heavy duty velcro straps to a low bar on the seat base. It is essentially floating. I padded the bar and sub with some sil sealer to keep it from rubbing the metal and making vibration sounds. So far I’m pretty happy with it. In the future I think I will build a small wooden platform that mounts to the seat base for the sub. I’ll put that on my “do it later” list.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info on wiring. How did you guys mount the sub under the driver seat? Looks like there’s some rubber hosing up in that cavity looking from under the van. I didn’t want to punch through and accidentally screw something up down there. Just wondering how everyone else mounted the sub. I did mine front to back and the two screws in the front went in no problem, but I haven’t fastened down the back yet a si couldn’t get them to grab and was too afraid to use the longer screws I had on hand for fear of hitting something underneath lol.
I plan to use industrial strength velcro mounted to the floor under the seat. My sub is fairly small and only weighs 7 pounds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts