Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I have a quick question. I'm looking into getting a 136 or 159 wheelbase Promaster for a camper conversion. My driveway is on a steep street and at a weird angle, and getting vehicles in and out is always a challenge. I rented both sizes of the Promaster yesterday to see how they fared.

The photos below are of the 159, which was very difficult to get out and I needed my friends to help watch. Based on that alone I think it's no longer an option for me, so I'm leaning towards the 136. But both the 159 and 136 did have their back left tire lift a couple feet off the ground when pulling out (see photos for the 159 being lifted up, didn't get any pics of 136). Is that an issue? Is it bad for the vehicle long term for that to happen every time I pull it out of my driveway (2-3X a month)? And is there any danger of it tipping over?

I feel like a loaded camper van would have less of a problem with this because of the added weight, but is my intuition wrong there?
Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
870 Posts
How will u load your build in van?
Keep weight low.
Lots add solar to roof....fan to roof....understand more weight topside could influence things.....speed also.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT Camper Conversion in CT (TX for now due to Covid)
953 Posts
As long as you keep the load low you should not tip over. Just keep batteries, water tanks, etc at the floor level (or lower if you mount underneath) and you should be fine. If you put heavy items in overhead cabinets, install an awning, roof rack, and roof AC, then that is a different story.

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
521 Posts
I had my 159 HR laying so far over one time that I might have been able to reach out and touch the ground. They are very stable.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Doesn't look like you're in the air. Should do the city a favor and kill that curb you have to back on top of at the base of your driveway

·
Registered
2016 136 HT Gasser
62 Posts
With a frequency of use of only 2-3x/month could you not construct a simple ramp setup to get over the hairy bits? Put it under the van when parked there? From your pics I can offer no specific suggestions but I have used 2x12s and assorted 4x's and 6x's before to access otherwise inaccessible longterm parking. Some bits of wood and the occasional six-pack for your spotter and you are golden.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Honestly, it's a bit difficult to tell what's going on just by the pictures.

How many times have you driven a large cargo can or truck? I don't mean to be dismissive of the driveway issue, but is some of the problem perhaps due to a lack of familiarity with the size of the vehicle? If so, it should get much easier with time.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,480 Posts

·
Registered
2017, PM 1500, 136, low roof
12 Posts
To the poster ,

I been driving my van with the same approach angle problem. The rear inside wheel will lift up and drop hard , I just take it slow it's fine. Some cars also do this in tight turns. Apparently, the chassis is stiff or the Windows would shatter😁

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I feel like a loaded camper van would have less of a problem with this because of the added weight, but is my intuition wrong there?
Thanks in advance for the help!

Loaded van should help a little in keeping tire closer to ground because suspension springs are compressed more, and hence can increase articulation before lifting off ground. However, being on ground due to load in van doesn’t reduce stresses on suspension or twisting on van body/structure, so not really of much help overall in my opinion.

Based on posted pictures, I would not worry too much about tipping over. If it were that close at the angles on your pictures, the van would tip over when driven fast around curves. That can happen to tall trucks, but requires greater lateral acceleration than equivalent of what I see in pictures.

One thing I recommend considering is to use every inch of driveway width if possible. Without seeing the entire driveway, it seems that you could reduce lean by taking a wider path with a little backing up in middle of turn; similar to a 3-point u-turn. Hard to say if it would help with lean, won’t help with transmission if van is heavy.

Curious if this is one-way drive or did you go in opposite direction also? If so, was it any easier?

·
Registered
2021 118 low roof Red
118 Posts
IMHO....Pics seem a little dramatic on driveway angle , looking again I can see you can approach at a different angle without rear end bottoming out and reduce lean

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the advice everyone, I really appreciate it, and it made me feel a lot better about my impending purchase.

As far as the load, there won't be a ton of stuff on top, just a couple solar panels and a MaxxFan vent. All the water tanks and everything else will be down below, so that should help with weight distribution.

I know the photos aren't great, they're stills taken from a video my friend made of me backing out. It is only a one way driveway, you have to drive up and back out. And the reason I took such a strange angle is because the bottom right part of the driveway is actually a very steep drop and I've seen lots of cars have real problems there over the years, so this angle was the best option. Also the street itself is very steep and narrow so I can't back out at any more of an angle or I'd hit my neighbor's car parked across the street. The photos overall make it look less sketchy than it is because you can't tell how steep the street is.

All in all the 159 inch simply isn't a feasible option for me, but knowing there's not much risk of it tipping over makes me feel much better about the 136. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
771 Posts
Assuming the center of gravity is along the center line, even with 100% of the weight at the roof it won't tip in this photo, as the center of the roof is not beyond the right tires.
In reality the COG is probably closer to the X.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My van has ALOT of weight up high. I parked sideways on a driveway into a garage in an alley. The angle was probably over 30* realistically. It seemed in my mind like 40! And although I was really concerned the van seemed super stable in and out.

Also with the design of our chassis we are way more stable going through traffic. Not sports car-esk but for a tall van surprisingly well. And with a good driver or one familiar with the van it really is just a big caravan. Handle similar parks similar just bigger

·
Registered
2017, PM 1500, 136, low roof
12 Posts
One time I almost rolled a large box truck over in a tight turn, it takes quite a bit to do that.
And one time the rear wheels fell off while driving a box truck.
I would just focus on driving and not spilling my coffee.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts