Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
There always needs to be a plan B. I have the double-passenger bench seat. I need the single asap (in 6 weeks at the latest) and this appears to be much more difficult than I imagined. SO, in digging around with my hands today, it would appear that the back of the bench seat is removable. If that is so and I'm hoping there are no sensors in there to add more confusion to a rather "out there" idea, is it possible to purchase just a single back section and install it in as the single passenger back leaving the seat part of the bench in the middle in place?

I need to be able to access the cargo portion of the van without going outside. I am physically able to climb over the bottom seat portion of the bench but not able to vault to the roof to clear it's back. I'm considering my newly honed skills with a reciprocating saw and the possibility of cutting out the back and closing and reupholstering the passenger side.

Has anyone modified their bench to allow access to the back? Needing a Plan B.

Registered
Sawzall saws all 馃槈

There is an occupancy sensor in the seat portion. I don't know that anyone has swapped the backrest from the bucket to the bench, but I feel comfortable saying it's probably not something that can happen without significant customization. Also if you remove the backrest of the middle seat, it will not be a fun place to sit. Swapping for a bucket might be better and easier than a frankenseat.

Another thought (plan c or so) - if you want to customize it and can remove the whole back of the bench, maybe you can fix it(break it) to recline fully. If you floor it, your passengers could end up laying down though.

I have not performed any safety tests to back this theory up, but am willing to except grant monies(read: beer money).

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
LOL! Sometimes thinking outside the box has paid off for me......doubt that this is one of those times! :) My small grandsons are pushing for more seats so they can go on adventures with grandma... Perhaps Plan D is just around the corner! Thanks for your input!

Registered
Have you considered a swivel? I am not sure how easy it would be to swivel from the drivers seat, but they do make swivels for the double passenger seat (be careful not to get a UK version since their seats are reversed from the US and Continental Europe). Had I known when I got my promaster the swivel for a double seat was an option I might have done it since I want to be able to seat 5 (I am working on a different solution, currently I can seat 4).

You do have to move the seat forward and back to swivel it in the space available, but it can be done without opening the doors. In your case it might turn enough to let you through without too much hassle.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, that's interesting information! Thank you!! I travel with three dogs, two of whom have serious medical conditions and are nearing the end of their journeys. I need fast access sometimes - like pull over and jump in back, fast. The single seat is really my only option it seems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts