Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I look at Promasters on dealer lots, I saw one with a sliding door on both driver and passenger sides and I began to see benefits to this. I need to install belted seating for two children (probably a seat from a ford transit) and two doors would allow for flexible placement of the bench with consideration for drilling holes in the floor on the passenger side. The underside of the PM seems pretty open on the passenger side. Has anyone done a conversion with two sliding doors? Do you think it adds to layout flexibility or do you see other benefits?

·
Registered
493 Posts
My van has two sliding doors. It wasn't my choice, it just happened to be what was available at the time. I wouldn't suggest ordering with two doors, but don't let it stop you if it's a good deal. The downside is that the extra door creates layout challenges due to the odd shapes on the wall that will have to be dealt with during the build. Also the door creates an air entry point that can't be totally insulated, especially at the bottom of the door. The only benefit I've seen, is that I was able to gain access to an area under my dinette seat to install my house battery. I won't be using the door once the build is complete as I will have cabinets over head the will limit that functionality of the door.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,527 Posts
That second door could have been a huge benefit to me. I would have grabbed one had it been available. It would have provided easy access to a lot of the electrical. Then I would have added a batt of insulation to the inside and closed it to be opened only when needed.

On second thought, since the kitchen is on the left, I might have opened it a lot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MsNomer, how do you see kitchen placement benefiting from a door? Would you design fridge or water jug placement so they're accessible by opening the door without entering the van?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,527 Posts
It might have been possible to have a full sink--there is unused, inaccessible space deep within the bowels. I would also enjoy the openness of two doors.

But then I'd have had two sliders to trim out instead of one and I haven't figured that out yet.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
We put the fresh water and gray water tanks under our galley on the slider side of the van so filling or emptying them is done from the outside. This has been a great feature. If I had a double slider the porta pottee would be on the other side and be able to be removed from the open door.

Reactions: denpm

·
Registered
125 Posts
For me it has been great, I have a work van with custom shelves built right next to the door. This way I do not have to get inside the van to get my larger or more frequently used tools, just slide open the door and easily grab them

1 - 7 of 7 Posts