Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it is time to get a portable fridge/freezer for the Promaster. I have been looking around and reviewing the posts on this forum and here are the models that I am considering—I’m looking for between 40 and 60 quart and at least dual power, 12v and 120, super quiet and no issues;

Vitrifrigo—I have seen a few posts on this but not sure about it
Indel—seems to be a good choice but not really high on the list
Whynter—this appears to be a Home Depot product, enough said
ARB—seems to be very popular in Australia, not sure about the states
Engel—I am leaning towards this unless somebody can talk me out of it
Truckfridge—looks to be reliable with some good reviews

Please let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This report was helpful when I was making the same decision:
http://www.equipt1.com/Downloads/Indel-B/Indel B Travel Box Test and Comparison Report.pdf

In the end I went with the ARB. I use the fridge as a step to get up on the bed and knew the ARB was burly; if it weren't for that requirement, the Indel B would have been my first choice (due to price and width). So far, I'm very happy with the ARB. The first night it was in the van I kept waking up frustrated that it was broken because the compressor never woke me up while running. Turns out, its so quiet I just never heard it.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
melmike,

My Engel has been performing beautifully since I got it a while ago. A 100Ah AGM battery will power it at 36/38 degrees for about a week in a 90 degree van. Runs about 3 times for 2 minutes each hour, slight hum when running, but I sleep with my head about 2 feet from the compressor end and it hasn't woken me up. Build solidly.

I prefer a chest type, and the MR40 I have is tough plastic on the outside. The metal version of the chest is the MT45 that MsNomer has.

Shop around... the store I got it from had a "make an offer button" on the site, and I did. Good deal and free shipping!

ed

·
Registered
36 Posts
I went with the Edgestar 43 qt. It seems decent! Will post more info soon. For the price, I'm pretty happy, BUT it's a lot bigger than what we ultimately want. We just do quick weekend outings.

·
Registered
257 Posts
1 year on Indel B (only one that fit the width of my location) from Equip1 and it has been flawless. Just this week I turned it on in a 100 degree van and in an hour or two (not sure really) it was down to 36 degree. I love it.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After agonizing over all the data available I went with the Indel B. it has been running for 2 weeks now in high heat without a hitch. I cannot detect any noticeable draw on my 200 AH system over a maximum of a 2 day draw. The fruit and veggie bin is a nice touch, I ended up with the 50 liter model, and it’s plenty of space for a 2 day trip.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts