Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had left the two areas in my van uninsulated while I waited for my motion windows to show and be installed. Now that I am at the point of installing wall panels I need to finish the job.
My question is do I bring the poly cut out close around it and fill the gap with great stuff like everywhere else? Or do you need to keep the clamp ring free from the insulation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I am outside in the van trying to come up with answers to that very question. It seems like the wall will standoff the frame 1.125” at the top and 1.625 at the bottom if I measure off a straight edge where the panel attaches to the van. Which makes things even harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
one window is done.

Strange that Tapatalk on my phone posts under a different account oh well.

It took me some time to come up with a final solution but here is how I framed out my motion window.

I first tried unsuccessfully to create individual corner pieces like MsNomer did but quickly realized that it was going to out match any skill and patience I possess.
The window was not 90° to the wall I was putting up so I taped on a couple temporary boards that would represent my wall panel and worked out the angles and depth difference at the top and bottom of the window. I then just made a box to go around the window the top horizontal piece was 2" deep and cut at 2° and the bottom 2.25" deep and 5° joined it with kreg screws to vertical sides. Cut 4 corner pieces using the template guide from installing the windows a little bit of sanding and you have a frame to go around the window.

Next step was attaching it to the wall panel in the right spot so it will all line up. I put up two extra vertical furring strip to act as supports for the window frame, lined it all up and screwed it in place.

I then cut a very rough opening in my wall panel I think I left about 1" extra all around. Applied Lepage Pl polyurethane glue to the front of the frame and installed my wall panel screws and all as if it were going on for good. I brad nailed the panel in a few spots to the frame then removed the panel and clamped everything up and waited for the glue to dry. Once it was all dry I just routed in the final opening, sand, painted and got it all back in place.
Now on to the slider.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am using 1/4" GIS fir plywood for my wall panels and I used 1/2" baltic birch ply for the window frame.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Thanks, V.I.guy, you just saved me some time! That's also the look I had in mind, but your solution is simpler than the one I dreamed up. Is your trim frame 90° to the window itself?

·
Registered
176 Posts
That's fantastic V.I.guy. Thanks for sharing this. If I understand correctly, the window frame isn't actually adhered to the van panelling at all? It's fixed to the interior wood panelling and maybe some side furring strips?

I'm assuming the 2 and 5 degrees you refer to in the horizontal members of the frame refer to the angle on the side of frame that contacts the van wall so you can get a flush fit with the plywood panel on the inside. Or have I got it backwards?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes that is right its 90° to the window and if I projected the line out from the frame to the temporary board I had up to mimic the wall panel I could figure out the angle that the frame would come flush to the inside of my plywood.
You are right the frame is not attached to the van wall or window. It is only attached to the plywood panel and the two furring supports.

It still takes some sanding to get the corner blocks to go flush with the angled face on the frame. Post how your windows go and add in any improvements you make for others. Like everything with these builds we all seem to come up with different ways to solve our problems

Thanks for the comments

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts