Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a worthless thread, but I was thinking about asking everyone what dealer they bought from and why? Was it price/location/dealer inventory and so on. This might help prospective buyers with their potential purchase.

·
Registered
Diesel PM, 2015, 2500 hi-top
141 Posts
Allhandsondeck, I'm just north of you, special-ordered my PM (Uconnect, aluminum wheels, interior group, diesel engine, tow package, addition FOB Key, rear camera, park assist, air compressor, rear 12V power) thru Martin Chrysler at Cleveland, TX and they honored my USAA certificate discount (Tru-Car) for alittle over $4K and with all the options for a 2500 hi-top 159 WB, my price (excludes tags, sales tax, etc.) was $36,567

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not necessarily. The only vehicle within 500 miles that had even most of the options I wanted was at my closest dealer 100 miles away.
Sorry, I know this is nosey and mean not to offend you.
If I might ask the dealership you got yours from and if they service/repair them?
Also, if possible that you have had any service/repairs did they actually do the work in-house?
Again, "Sorry" for being nosey and understand it is prying and none of my business.
"Thank you!"

·
Registered
604 Posts
Allhandsondeck, I'm just north of you, special-ordered my PM (Uconnect, aluminum wheels, interior group, diesel engine, tow package, addition FOB Key, rear camera, park assist, air compressor, rear 12V power) thru Martin Chrysler at Cleveland, TX and they honored my USAA certificate discount (Tru-Car) for alittle over $4K and with all the options for a 2500 hi-top 159 WB, my price (excludes tags, sales tax, etc.) was $36,567
Isn't USAA great? I did a tru-car through them. Got a super low quote that ended up being with a dealer that didn't even sell Promasters (non-commercial dealership). Took it to another dealer that had one I wanted and they matched the price on a slightly higher priced (more options) PM. They gave me the $500 Vet discount too although it was supposedly for recent Vets and I've been out for 13 years.

·
Registered
Diesel PM, 2015, 2500 hi-top
141 Posts
Climbing Coastie you need to join USAA to get the discount; any member of your family who was/is miliary can join USAA which has a bunch of products but even if you just choose auto insurance, you don't need to have a checking/savings acct with them. Although their bank products are fantastic too. USAA started as an auto insurance company in San Antonio for military/vets but they expanded into bank, mutual funds, and other products. Check out their website. They don't have physical branches throughout the US, just online services and fortunately a user-friendly website too. Really like USAA!

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,862 Posts
Mike, your question is not in the least offensive or invasive. I bought from Davis-Moore in Whichita. They appear to handle all service in house, except they can't wash it. :)

Top-notch organization as far as I can tell, both sales and service. It says something when the body shop manager takes the time to go over the vehicle with me, patiently addressing my petty questions like, "What is this hole for?" Salesman, service manager and body shop manager have all expressed serious interest in my conversion and insist that I keep them apprised of my progress.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trecilla, sounds like you got a good deal. I special ordered mine as well, nothing on the dealer lot had everything I wanted. FYI-most of my wife's family lives in Alto, Texas and surrounding towns.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Climbing Coastie you need to join USAA to get the discount; any member of your family who was/is miliary can join USAA which has a bunch of products but even if you just choose auto insurance, you don't need to have a checking/savings acct with them. Although their bank products are fantastic too. USAA started as an auto insurance company in San Antonio for military/vets but they expanded into bank, mutual funds, and other products. Check out their website. They don't have physical branches throughout the US, just online services and fortunately a user-friendly website too. Really like USAA!

Trecilla, I am a member of USAA, have their auto/renters insurance, bank wiith them and will be using them for my home purchase in a year when I retire. I just didn't realize their car buying service was called True-car.

So if I read correctly you got $4000 off MSRP at your local dealer, is that correct? Being an Alaska residence living in California I want to avoid paying CA taxes on it. I have been in contact with Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg, ID as they will give me a smoking deal and I don't have to worry about taxes, tags, ect with them. I'm just not sure I want to fly up and drive back (how much would I actually save).

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Being an Alaska residence living in California I want to avoid paying CA taxes on it. I have been in contact with Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg, ID as they will give me a smoking deal and I don't have to worry about taxes, tags, ect with them. I'm just not sure I want to fly up and drive back (how much would I actually save).
Sorry but you pay taxes to the state you register the vehicle. Alaska would be much better than California but the best state is Montana. Montana has long been known as the tax dodge for RV purchases. There are numerous services that even do it all for you. Here is an example: http://www.taxfreerv.com

I considered doing this as I live in California, which has one of the highest tax rates in the country. Since I will be spending most of this year in California I registered here and paid the taxes. My Promaster also wasn't expensive enough to justify the LLC expense.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sorry but you pay taxes to the state you register the vehicle. Alaska would be much better than California but the best state is Montana. Montana has long been known as the tax dodge for RV purchases. There are numerous services that even do it all for you. Here is an example: http://www.taxfreerv.com

I considered doing this as I live in California, which has one of the highest tax rates in the country. Since I will be spending most of this year in California I registered here and paid the taxes. My Promaster also wasn't expensive enough to justify the LLC expense.
There are 2 issues here. Sales Taxes and Registration fees. I am a Washington resident but in California for winter months. California dealers have told me that if I take delivery in California, sales taxes will be charged at the rate applicable to the California dealer location. Registration fees will not be charged. When the vehicle is taken back to Washington, they will charge the Washington registration fees. If the sales tax paid to California is less than the rate for the Washington address where the vehicle is registered, Washington will collect the additional sales tax due.

California dealers have offered to make delivery across the stateline in Arizona to avoid the California Sales Tax. Then the entire Washington Sales Tax will be paid when the vehicle is registered there. However, the California dealer indicated that you sign some document that you are not immediately bringing the vehicle back into California.

I believe that each state may have different rules on how out of state purchases are handled.

·
Registered
124 Posts
tgblake,

That is how I read it also. Unless I get a dealer to deliver out of state I have to pay CA taxes. Speaking with friends some dealers will do this noproblem and others won't. Problem is the only address I have is in CA. So obviously I'm bringing it back into the state. I have been told two things about this; one is like you said about the Washington taxes (but with AK sales tax at 0 I'm out the money). The other is that I can get a refund from CA (I don't believe this ortrust CA one bit). It may just be easiest to get my PM fromIdaho for ease of buying as they routinely deal with Alaskan buyers, eventhough it would be a road trip to get it home. Maybe I should try the USAA for Reno, NV and/or Medford, OR.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
climbing coastie, where are you planning on registering the vehicle? If the only address you have is in CA then your only options is to register it in CA, which will require you to pay CA sales tax.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts