Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still stuck with my subwoofer install. I'm installing an under seat powered subwoofer and have so far got the subwoofer powered, grounded, etc. Just need to figure out which wires to splice. I've read everything there is to read here on this forum but sorry guys I'm still confused. To anyone who's successfully done this, or a speaker, or head unit install even... which wires am I looking for? Someone mentioned yellow and purple wires - see them under the glovebox. But there's an extra yellow wire? Does anyone have a definitive answer for how to do this? Which wires am I looking for?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so went ahead and figured out the speaker wire colors:

yellow L+, yellow/black L-, purple/orange R+, and purple/black R-

decided to tap the wires running to the cargo area after a harness near the door

This did not work...

Did some more research and found out via this thread that the wires that run to the rear are not actually live and that the dealership needs to flash the computer with a firmware upgrade in order to activate the rear speakers. I don't have rear speakers in my vehicle so I'm guessing this is why I'm not getting any sound to the subwoofer.

Has anyone run into this before?

Having a ton of trouble with this install. Pretty much beyond irritated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just going to respond to my own post once again since I finally got this working...

Unfortunately had to tap the wires behind the head unit in order to succeed. I know this will void your warranty but I plan on getting an aftermarket HU at some point and the whole stock radio system sucks balls so I don't really give a hoot.

HU came out easily enough. Used 4 pieces of straight coat hanger and a pry tool to work one side at a time. There's a diagram on the HU that breaks down the wiring. I discovered that since I don't have rear speakers in my PMC the head unit wiring harness does NOT have outputs for rear speakers. The spaces where the wiring diagram indicates they should be are 100% vacant. So unlike I previously thought - my vehicle appears not to be pre-wired for rear speaker upgrades. Even more than the firmware update I suspected as a potential problem - this is likely the reason why tapping the wires I attempted to tap simply did not work.

Another thing to note is that there are two wires for the microphone (one purple and one yellow). I wasn't aware I even had a microphone in my car (looking at you NSA). One of these wires is the exact same color as the FL+ wire... yellow. I'm thinking this reasonably explains why there are two yellow wires at the harness by the glovebox. AFAIK they are indistinguishable from each other - but I'm pretty sure you can't just go and tap whichever one you'd like.

Hopefully this helps someone with a 4 speaker stock radio PMC cargo! Took me several days to finish this project because the information I found on this topic is somewhat vague.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted you to know - - you're not talking to yourself.
Haha! It's all good. Still felt the need to chronicle my adventures in speaker installation. Half of the knowledge required to do this job I stitched together from bits and pieces of posts like mine. There's so little information out there about this vehicle currently so figure any little extra bit of perspective on how something works can help someone at some point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I want to do a full write-up on a subwoofer and speaker install with the Uconnect RA2 but I figured this thread would be a good place to share some pictures of the wires that need to be spliced with your line out convertor behind the factory head unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey everyone, I just joined the forum. This thread is one of the main reasons and because I can't leave Sh*t alone.

So on this install did you just tap the front speaker wires and run the amp pre-outs off of them.
At this point I'm not looking to add an amp but I would like to throw a couple powersports speakers in the rear to add some power to the sound.
I just bought a 2017 PMC tradesman cargo.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi everyone,
Question I have is, if everybody is spending all this time into trying to tap this-that wire, Why dont you just run the wire that you need to the back yourself? By the time you figure it out, it will be done. This way you don't have to worry about tapping into the wrong electrical device and screwing something else up. Doesn't take much time to pop off trim moldings and pull wires through. Half of the people in this forum dont have any trim or panels up in the rear cargo space anyways. I'm sure if you can figure out how to install the HU, you surely can figure out how to run and hide the wires. Just wondering is all!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pulled the uconnnect out of my 2017 pmc and checked to see if it was presided for rears. It is not or so it looks. But what's odd is the pinout vs. The diagram. What do you guys think? So clearly I do not have full wiring for rear speakers and would have to ad the pins and likely have it flashed at the dealer to access rear speakers controls. But that seems like a good investment of my time for me. Rear speakers could be used for all sorts of stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2017 PMC came with four speakers from the factory. I wanted to keep the factory HU but add a power amp. It is not straight forward. The factory HU will not send a signal to an aftermarket EQ or power amp because it needs to see a resistive load (like a speaker). I had to add a 10W 47ohm resistor across all 4 speaker outputs and then continue on to the aftermarket components. That worked.

·
Registered
117 Posts
No. I used the factory speaker wires for both the high level inputs to my amplifier and a powered subwoofer. The aftermarket equipment does not put an additional load on the factory radio. The factory speakers don't sound any different and are so underpowered that I can't hear them at all

1 - 15 of 15 Posts