Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi boys. Ok, so this should be done by wednesday, but so far here's the camper box update with pics.

I measured the box to fit behind the upright back seats, with the bed fitted to slide out over the folded seats (not all the way, just folded down). Handles will go on the sides, with wheels to be placed on the bottom so I can pull the box and roll it to storage (modular!).

You can see the raw wood (quite light weight) box, before staining. I went to get stain and yes....I went with a color. The raw was pretty and a clear stain would've looked great, but dammit so does orange.

I got 1/8 cable and hinges so the back folding "door" will fold out to a table off the back.

I got sliders for the bed part, which will attach and slide/drop a piece off the back and over the folded seats.

AMAZINGLY, my daughter's partition bed mattress (thanks, Ikea) fit perfectly on the bed - the large partition over the box itself and the additions creation the slide out mattress and "lean pillows" when it's folded in back.

I'll add more when it's finished. Can't wait to camp!:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
You go orange!

Orange was definitely the right color! I did a box like that for a sleeping platform in my 4 Runner with two drawers below and it has proven to be a perfect bed/storage solution. Show us what it looks like installed!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey with the back seats tumbled all the way forward what is the lenght of the cargo area from the back door to the seats? Would it be long enought to comfortably put a bed?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey with the back seats tumbled all the way forward what is the lenght of the cargo area from the back door to the seats? Would it be long enought to comfortably put a bed?
There is NOT enough room to get a bed in between the folded and tumbled seats and the rear door. You can get a full (AKA double) mattress in over top of the folded seats if you leave them down. Or of you want to go real high, you can go over top of the tumbled seats, from the front seat headrests to the rear doors. My measurements showed 76.5" from the back of the headrests to the inside of the rear doors. Full mattress is 54 x 74. If you got a foam mattress with some give, you could probably fit a queen size, at 60" wide and 80" long.

According to the official Ram paperwork, the length of the floor with the rear seats tumbled is 68.7", but the seats have prongs and parts that make the effective space smaller.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hey all. I don't have all the spec pics showing how exactly my little rig operates, but I do have a few from our recent trip and I'm seeing a few comments/questions. I went for space below rather than above, and my box pulls out over the top of the folded seats (resting on a cushioned seat bottom). I wanted to make sure I could fit lots below so I compromised headspace. No regrets. I attached photos with the back of the box open and closed, and also with my kiddo laying there reading. I'll get some with it closed up and show how I did it. For info: I used heavy duty long cabinetry rails and have a very simple hole/plug for open and close. I have a thin piece of foam (thanks to the local boat canvas guy) to place under the mattress when it's open and another piece to place along the folded seat so the slider doesn't rub. The back door open into a table fitted with cables. I had a little cooler under there, but it'll fit a bigger one easily. I also placed wheels on the bottom end so that the box rolls on removal. I also left the box open - no drawers or partitions, so I could put crates/boxes/modular blah blah. I'd like to make a little water/sink build for longer trips.

That's all I can think of for now, but then it's late. I'll get more details at some point. Questions - ask away.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Oh wow sorry SUPER LATE response lol but check this gallery out :)

I ran a chain through the body in the upper rear driver side where the hammock mounts on one side then spreads diagonally across the cargo area to the front passenger fold down mirror. Replaced one of the long stock bolts that keeps the mirror up with a long eyebolt. Been holding steady for about 8 months of daily use.

Attached a pic of the hammock up ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Oh wow sorry SUPER LATE response lol but check this gallery out :)

I ran a chain through the body in the upper rear driver side where the hammock mounts on one side then spreads diagonally across the cargo area to the front passenger fold down mirror. Replaced one of the long stock bolts that keeps the mirror up with a long eyebolt. Been holding steady for about 8 months of daily use.

Attached a pic of the hammock up ;)
I'm having a problem finding the "passenger overhead mirror" attachment point, do you have a picture?

Steve

EDIT: Ok, I see where you are talking about. I would have never considered trying that location for a hammock attachment point...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Works great! Can't remember what size the bolt is but if you take it out you'll see it's fairly long and that gave me a bit more confidence to mount here. Only problem is the passenger seat needs to fold forward to give the hammock space to hang comfortably.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have the same kinda idea for a work bed. An open-top, 3-sided box of 4X8 ft, ¾" plywood the height of the wheel wells, with a drop-in end panel towards the rear. Just slide it in to line your bed for work. Turned upside-down, it becomes a bed frame,with underneath storage. I could haul dirt, and dirty tools, without having to clean up the interior after. Just pull it out, and hose it down. Maybe, if you're brave enuf, wet stuff could be hauled with a good tarp to line it. Good job on the box, though.

·
Registered
201 Posts

Note: the rear seats come out easily with four bolts along the front of the base. I sold mine. There's 7 ft of bed to the heat vent and 7'6" to the front seats. (They couldn't make it an American 8ft!?!), plenty of room for a foam bed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts