Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
There is an antenna at the rear of the van for XM and GPS that most vans aren't equipped with. If you remove it you will have a decent sized hole that's just above the rear cargo light.
From there you can run it in the channel down the D pillar. If you are adding solar and or charging equipment let us know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If you are adding solar and or charging equipment let us know.
Definitely want to transform my PMC into a boondockable micro-camper.. might take some time though as the more I research solar, the more expensive I realize it will be.

So far my thoughts are that I'll need a roof rack, four 100w renogy solar panels, two 6v golf cart batteries that will require a battery box and a way to vent them, an mppt controller and a 2000w pure sine wave inverter. Some of the details will probably get modified but that's the basic conception as of right now. I'll probably need $1500 - $2000 to make it happen.

Any advice on how to vent those batteries to the outside world without making permanent alterations to the vehicle? Is there enough room in the hole created by removing the antennae for both cable routing and an off-gassing tube connected to a sealed battery box? Maybe I'll be better off mounting the batteries outside, either under the hood if there is room (highly unlikely), or even underneath the van itself, but I can see that being a pain to maintenance.

Any ideas regarding house battery venting in a PMC?

I've considered AGM, but they're not the best fit for a solar. They will require a much stronger and constant charge than solar can supply every few cycles to keep them alive in the long run. Also considered lifepo4, but are way too expensive.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I guess you know more about AGM than I do. I went with FLA for a different reason. The MPPT controller can supply the correct scheme to recharge AGM and the current will be 30 amps which seems enough to do the job right. What am I missing. I drilled a 2+ inch hole and vented the FLA like a production camper is done. 400 watts is a lot. I have 200 and 2 golf cart FLAs and I have relied on the alternator just 2 times in 9 months of use. BTW the van has AGM already so it should do the charge right too.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Definitely want to transform my PMC into a boondockable micro-camper.. might take some time though as the more I research solar, the more expensive I realize it will be.

So far my thoughts are that I'll need a roof rack, four 100w renogy solar panels, two 6v golf cart batteries that will require a battery box and a way to vent them, an mppt controller and a 2000w pure sine wave inverter. Some of the details will probably get modified but that's the basic conception as of right now. I'll probably need $1500 - $2000 to make it happen.

Any advice on how to vent those batteries to the outside world without making permanent alterations to the vehicle? Is there enough room in the hole created by removing the antennae for both cable routing and an off-gassing tube connected to a sealed battery box? Maybe I'll be better off mounting the batteries outside, either under the hood if there is room (highly unlikely), or even underneath the van itself, but I can see that being a pain to maintenance.

Any ideas regarding house battery venting in a PMC?

I've considered AGM, but they're not the best fit for a solar. They will require a much stronger and constant charge than solar can supply every few cycles to keep them alive in the long run. Also considered lifepo4, but are way too expensive.
There might be enough room to vent the batteries through that same hole. I wouldn't recommend it though, in the off chance any moisture occurs in the line it will drip right back into the battery.
If it were my money, id mount them outside where the spare tire goes. Its just too much wasted space for batteries inside the cargo area. The lpf batteries have the advantage be being smaller, lighter and no off gassing , the price you pay...
Group 31 AGM are like 70lbs each, an absolute PITA to service, how much is a chiro visit..lol.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree. The PMC is small enough as-is. Anything you can mount in the spare tire spot will be more room on the inside. Now that I think of it, I might just mount a kit of emergency supplies under there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there enough room down there for two Trojan T-105s?

This could be a blessing in disguise as those would be the best bang for my buck, especially as a newbie considering the increased likelihood that I'll murder my first few batts. I really wanted to start with Trojan golf carts but didnt know if I would have enough room to mount them.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Buy a pair of these and you won't be risking too much ($170). Good battery at a great price! I they are the same size as the T-105's so when you do kill them you can change them out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Is there enough room down there for two Trojan T-105s?

This could be a blessing in disguise as those would be the best bang for my buck, especially as a newbie considering the increased likelihood that I'll murder my first few batts. I really wanted to start with Trojan golf carts but didnt know if I would have enough room to mount them.
You can get quite a few under there, the only limiting factor is aesthetics with them hanging below the bumper.
There is place to store batteries in the cargo van, but its not for the faint of heart...:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is place to store batteries in the cargo van, but its not for the faint of heart...:D
I'm afraid to ask, but curiosity is getting the best of me.

If I mount 2 - 4 golf cart batts under the van, can cables be routed from inside to underneith the van without cutting or drilling?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Im not 100% sure about access without drilling for wires. There is always access through the vents in the rear, but some frown upon that due to safety concerns with potential exhaust fumes.
Oh and the place to store batteries does not fall under the " no cutting or drilling". Its the passenger footwell area on the non cargo vans. On the cargo vans its welded over but its so easy to just cut a monster hole or drill out the welds and have a good 3+ cubic feet of cargo area back.Pull off the door sills in the rear and you'll see a hole about the size of your fist, its completely hollow inside there. There is also good access behind both seats but its really awkward to get to if you have a partition. The smaller lifepo4 batteries would fit in there perfectly even without "cutting" anything. Then again, who would ever look under the carpet to see if it was modified ? Break out the grinder, time to do some trimming!.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts