October U.S. sales numbers according to goodcarbadcar.net:

1) Ford Transit: 2257
2) MB Sprinter:
3) Ram Promaster: 1723
4) Nissan NV: 1220

·
Registered
145 Posts
Its all marketing, brand loyalty and the typical ford fleet buyers that keep the brand on top.

I'm sure we will soon see a ton of news vans outfitted with satellite dishes on them roaming around like torts.

·
Registered
473 Posts
That is very interesting! I've seen a ton of Ford advertising and virtually no Mercedes or Promaster ads and they are only 550 units apart? I'm fairly impressed as I don't think the profits from 550 units would pay for the advertising spots.

·
Registered
12 Posts
maybe MB better start paying attention to the peeling paint, clogged egr valves etc quality and design issues. I worked at a BMW motorcycle shop for a few decades and have seen issues year after year not addressed. Hope the PM and Transit have done their best to minamize first year teething issues.

·
Super Moderator
7,162 Posts
I would expect this and I expect the promaster and Sprinter to switch places within the next year.

Probably the only thing keeping the Promaster out of second place right now is the fact that it offers far less options and trim levels than either the Transit or Sprinter. Let's face it, if you want a nicely finished passenger van with windows all around and seating for 7 or even 10 the Promaster is a hard sell. Most of us bought them for working or conversion to campers, not people movers! This is a big mistake on Chryslers part I believe.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Originally Ford said they would sell E-Series alongside Promaster. The Transit numbers are not great considering that the rollout took so long that E-Series cargo and wagon are essentially gone from the consumer market. According to http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/06/ford-e-series-sales-figures.html October E-Series are down almost 4800 from last year. Don't know what's included in the 4712 number, probably cutaway and large fleet.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Transit numbers are low for the same reason ProMaster numbers were low. The factory is taking way longer to reach full production capacity that outsiders (customers) would ever have imagined.

Look on the Transit forum. People are crying the blues over not being able to get vans. A couple of guys are giving up and buying Sprinters instead of waiting any longer.

We know Ram still doesn't have our factory running 100% yet because so many options are still listed as later availability.

I think it will be 2016 before we know how this all shakes out.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
ProMaster has made great gains against Sprinter. At this rate they should overtake in 2015 -- maybe later this year. Based on Econoline volume, I assumed Transit would take lead quickly.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Im sure there are plenty of customers out there that insist on a diesel. When the diesel is finally available the PM should aquire additional new customers.

·
Super Moderator
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One thing for sure, the North-American market is not the European market: over there, the Ducato outsells by a large margin the Transit and the Sprinter.

As much as I want to love my PM, I am not surprised the Ford Transit is already the winner: Ford has a better reputation the Fiat-Chrysler, and it's going to take a lot of work to change the perceptions.

For starters, my Chrysler dealer could start by giving me a better service. ;););)

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I'm surprised anyone knows the PM exists.

I first saw and fell in love with the Ducato in NZ in 2008. I said I would own one as soon as I could. July 2014 I was moaning on a woodworking forum that it wasn't here yet and someone suggested I check out the PM. I was shocked to learn it had already been on the road a year. My local dealer has never heard of it and I'm positive I have the first one ever seen in my neck of the woods. The one I got was the only one in a 300-mile radius with anything near the options I wanted.

·
Registered
513 Posts
There may be a bigger issue affecting the earlier availability of the Promaster which would contribute to the lower sales numbers. I read on another forum that Nissan had the forethought to pre-book a large number of railroad cars that are configured for high roof vehicles. Apparently neither Ford nor Chrysler did, so there is a backlog of vehicles manufactured in Mexico waiting for a way to get them up here.

That's a simple logistics issue which should have been solved by now, but the backlog didn't help.

·
Super Moderator
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, here's the sales of the "new style" vans since the Ford Transit came out (US only):

As usual, my source is goodcarbadcar.net.

ps: changed the title of original thread (moderator abuse ;))

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I find that I see more cars of a particular model once I either own one or want to buy one. Todd

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have seen two transits in my neck of the woods. A medium roof 140+ not sure of exact length and a longer medium roof. I see more PM tall roofs than anything else. Of course, this could be because PM have been out about a year longer than the Transits. I looked at the Transits before I purchased the PM just to cover all the bases. My impression of the Transit was this is all we get for such a long anticipated wait?

1 - 20 of 175 Posts