Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
A bunch of us PM converters have been there. IMHO it’s the best place to visit in TX (and yes I’ve been to Johnson Space Flight Center, Minute Maid Park, a bunch of Texas BBQ joints, the river walk, AND the Alamo!)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
View from the top of Emory Peak, highest point in the Chisos Mtns.

Natural hot spring on the Rio Grande. The opposite bank in Mexico.

Chisos Mtns

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree RD. North Padre Island National Seashore is pretty cool to camp out on too, but I don't know if it will be as fun as it is in my Jeep (no fear of getting stuck).

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Phil, this time in the van I camped at the Chisos Basin Campground. I think it's the best one of the three. There are also off-road sites (not sure what they're called) that are down gravel roads. The other times I've been we're either backpacking or paddled down the river.

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
Nice pics. You nailed the camping. We hiked to the window and just missed a mountain lion that hikers ahead of us saw!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Very cool pictures!

Big Bend is on my list of trips to do. I'm trying to set up a week long trip with a buddy or two. Setting up a camp off one of the dirt road sites and then exploring on bikes.

Did you visit nearby Big Bend State Park?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bucho, I haven't been to the state park yet but have been to Presidio on the other side. I hear it's pretty good though. I think I might explore some of the backcountry roads in BB the next time I'm there. Lots of potential there. If the water level is low enough you can also addle upstream into Santa Elena Canyon. The locals call that the boomerang. I did that last year. Pretty amazing Canyon.

·
Registered
546 Posts
A bunch of us PM converters have been there. IMHO it’s the best place to visit in TX (and yes I’ve been to Johnson Space Flight Center, Minute Maid Park, a bunch of Texas BBQ joints, the river walk, AND the Alamo!)
Anybody been to Clovis , NM.....is it worth a layover to explore.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
339 Posts
Anybody been to Clovis , NM.....is it worth a layover to explore.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
It's a small dusty Eastern, NM; West Texas type of town. No significant public lands nearby. There's a small zoo and a disc golf course.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The zoo is OK if you like zoos. It's been quite a few years since I lived there so I don't know how much it has changed. Norman Petty Studios is a draw if you like Buddy Holly and early Rock n Roll history. A couple hours away in the Canyon, Texas area is Palo Duro Canyon State Park, some friends just returned from a weekend there and said it was nice. Between Clovis and Portales there is Blackwater Draw, a site of fossils and Clovis points. In Portales there is a windmill display of many old wooden windmills. Lots of dairies in the area so the aroma can be a little strong but the wind blows most of the time. Enjoy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts