Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I had a go at a spreadsheet to estimate heat loss from a PM camper van with no insulation compared to whatever insulation package you want to enter.

It gives heat loss separately for walls, ceiling, floor, windows, vent, and air infiltration so you can get an idea where the heat is going and where the best payoff is. You just enter the R values for each item, the inside and outside temperatures and it gives you heat loss in BTU/hr and an estimate of heating fuel burn.

This is a sample output plot:

This is the is for the insulation package I have in my PM -- basically 1 inch polyurethane insulation for wall/ceiling/floors and thermal shades on windows. It estimates an about 80% reduction in heat loss.

You can plug in whatever insulation R values you like, and there are some guidelines for estimating R values and for estimating R values for walls with multiple layers.

The geometry is set up for my 136 WB, high roof, but you can easily change the areas to match other van configurations.

This is the web page you can download the spreadsheet from: http://www.builditsolar.com/References/Calculators/VanHeatLoss/VanHeatLoss.htm

Let me know if you have any problems with it or see any errors.
Feedback on usefulness (or not) appreciated.

Gary

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
Opened it with "Numbers" on my Mac. No problem except for one font which often shows on converting. As far as I can see it works. I'll get back if I see issues. BTW how did you estimate the R value of walls where a percentage is the ribs which may have a different amount of insulation?
Nice piece of work that is appreciated.

I just

1 - 2 of 2 Posts