Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone -

Getting to start putting in the plumbing on my conversion and had a few questions.

One plan I was considering was having 2 grey water tanks (~30g, that would fit over the wheelwells) - 1 for the kitchen sink and one for the shower. From what I can gather, shower water should often be permissible to dump while boondocking (in a careful, respectful manner), while kitchen sink water is not ever permissible to be dumped while boondocking. We are looking to have the water tanks inside the van due freezing considerations. Large tanks are in the cards due to a desire to boondock for extended periods of time - up to 2 weeks.

Some questions on that plan:

1) I saw mentioned that urine can be diluted with water (5:1) and some people have said that is permissible to dump as part of a true grey water boondocking dump (not kitchen water only bath/clothes/bathroom sink etc). Any thoughts / comments? I have a nature's head toilet and was considering draining the urine holder to the shower grey water tank. Looking to increase the time we can boondock and reduce the frequency for emptying the urine holder from the composting toilet.

2) Due to the location of the grey water tank gravity draining wont be an option for either the kitchen grey water tank or the shower grey water tank. I assume some others have done this type of set up as well and looks like the travato has a similar set up. Any recommendations on pumps?

3) Anyone have experience with a nature's head in a wet bath? Nature's head says it is fine, but wondering if anyone has had issues with that setup.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Hi everyone -

Getting to start putting in the plumbing on my conversion and had a few questions.

One plan I was considering was having 2 grey water tanks (~30g, that would fit over the wheelwells) - 1 for the kitchen sink and one for the shower. From what I can gather, shower water should often be permissible to dump while boondocking (in a careful, respectful manner), while kitchen sink water is not ever permissible to be dumped while boondocking. We are looking to have the water tanks inside the van due freezing considerations. Large tanks are in the cards due to a desire to boondock for extended periods of time - up to 2 weeks.

Some questions on that plan:

1) I saw mentioned that urine can be diluted with water (5:1) and some people have said that is permissible to dump as part of a true grey water boondocking dump (not kitchen water only bath/clothes/bathroom sink etc). Any thoughts / comments? I have a nature's head toilet and was considering draining the urine holder to the shower grey water tank. Looking to increase the time we can boondock and reduce the frequency for emptying the urine holder from the composting toilet.

2) Due to the location of the grey water tank gravity draining wont be an option for either the kitchen grey water tank or the shower grey water tank. I assume some others have done this type of set up as well and looks like the travato has a similar set up. Any recommendations on pumps?

3) Anyone have experience with a nature's head in a wet bath? Nature's head says it is fine, but wondering if anyone has had issues with that setup.

Thanks for the help.
I'm not very helpful as I don't have a setup like this, but here are my 2 cents:

1. I'm not sure about this one. It would be hard to measure out a 5:1 ratio on the fly, especially when it comes time to dump (did you count up how much water was used for a shower). I personally wouldn't do that, but I guess it's up to you.
2. Most people that have grey tanks inside the van usually do a jerry can setup gravity fed directly under the sink. It's the simplest setup and you won't have an extra pump that can complicate things and would be prone to cloggy. If you must have an indoor shower, I'd suggest going with an under van mounted grey tank if you plan on just dumping it openly anyway as it wouldn't have time to freeze.
3. I have no experience with a composting toilet, but the main thing with a composting toilet is to keep the solids dry. I would think having it installed in a wet bath will introduce moisture. Is it enough moisture to cause a problem? I'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,995 Posts
Hi,
I think that most people with a Nautures Head composting toilet just take the urine tank out into the bushes and walk while emptying the tank. I don't think there is any need to dilute it. Urine is sterile and a good fertilizer. I have a homemade composting toilet and empty the 1 gallon urine tank as described above.

I don't see why operating a Natures Head toilet in a wet bathroom would be a problem.

To me it seems like having the grey water tank above the floor where the shower and sink won't gravity drain into it is going to be a challenge and will complicate the design -- not to mention taking up quite a bit of space. We have a grey water tank under the floor, and in cold weather camping just add a little RV antifreeze to it -- but, we don't do all that much cold weather camping.
It will also be very hard to find 30 gallons (let along 60 gallons) of tank space under the floor.

Had not heard the idea that its ok to dump shower water but not kitchen sink water -- is there a source for this info?
I think its pretty common for boondockers to carefully get rid of all grey water near their site -- but, maybe I'm wrong about this?

Gary

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
I seem to remember reading AZ has some odd regulations on grey water as does the BLM, of course!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Have any one heard of the Blue poly portable tanks that RVers use when they are parked for a long time. They have wheels and I see them used all the time and taken to the dumping area. On a 86' LeSharo, there was no gray water tank as in that time you could dump your gray tank on the ground. I carried one on the back of the RV and used it to catch my gray water while camping and then pulling it to the dump station to dump when full. Empty, it weights very little and carried on the back of my hitch hauler.

MLogan
Smyrna, TN

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is one of the sources, but it appears to be AZ specific. It may be that BLM lands in AZ have specific regulations. I haven't been able to find a more comprehensive list of regulations state by state.

http://rvtravel.com/more-on-the-gray-area-of-dumping-the-gray-tank/

I have heard of those tanks. It seems usually people hook them up to their car and drive it to the dump station inside a camp ground or rv park.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
When I built our AZ home I planned a secondary drain system to collect the grey water and use it for irrigation. Getting AZDEQ approval seemed impossible and finally I reverted to one drain line to the septic. I don’t release grey water in this RV although our previous one had a drain-to-ground system. I do have an RV dump spot at my house which allows the grey and black water to be dumped into that septic line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts