Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just got my van on the road and I’ve taken one trip from my home in Delaware to Tennessee and back, 13 hours each way. I was able to connect to Internet on my iPhone but that’s not gonna work. I’ve been studying and reading and studying and reading on how to get the Internet in my van so I can use my iPad and a 12 V smart TV I’m hoping to buy soon. First problem, I can’t find a 12 V smart TV. Does anybody have a connection for that? Second, I’m just confused about what I need to buy to have Internet. I currently have an iPhone 7 and I’m on my ex son-in-law‘s plan. He’s in the process of getting me off of his account and setting me up with my own AT&T account. (My grandson Will also be on the plan with me) I think I’d rather be with Verizon based on everything I’ve read but hopefully I can make that switch down the road if necessary. Going with AT&T right now will be so much easier for me. I don’t want to get ripped off when I go into the store to buy whatever it is I need. Is there something basic I can get? I don’t live in my van but will probably spend six months out of the year in it. I don’t work.I just like cruising the Internet for leisure, have access to information and I want to watch my smart TV. 99% of the time I can find everything I like to watch on YouTube including movies. I’m a little older and have never had to take care of my own phone business. I am so ignorant about all of this. Can anybody make any recommendations? Thank you

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
502 Posts
We use our Verizon/Samsung phones to Hotspot to an Android tablet to watch things. $45 a month for unlimited everything.
We also download a stack of movies to our tablet before our trips so we have something to watch when we have spotty or no phone service.

·
Registered
302 Posts
It depends on how much you want to pay for the internet setup/device, monthly data plans, where you are camping/boondocking. What is your hotspot data cap on your current plan?
You can use your phone as a hotspot but a lot of time the mobile company will downgrade the video(youtube, etc) to a lower resolution. So let said if you stream it to your TV, it will get very bad quality. You can bypass it by going through a VPN.
Free- Assuming you have some sort of hotspot data on you current plan, I use this setup for a while for work and it work fine. The reception will depend on where you park, where you place your phone. I try to place it high and near a window when i'm in a low reception area and run speed test(speedtest.net) to determine which spot have the best reception.

$$-$$$$ - mobile router(mofi4500, Nighthawk M1, pepwave, etc) with or without external antenna plus you will aux battery system to run your mobile router, tv etc.

Currently I'm running mofi4500 with external antenna, not the best but that is what my budget allows.
Best to read through the LTEHack forum or FB group and rvmobileinternet.com/, those guys have the best knowledge on mobile internet setup and option.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I actually just installed a smart tv into my van. This tv comes with an ac plug that runs at 19v peak volts. I cut that wire and connected a 12v to 19v step up, and that is all there is to it. You have to make sure the tv has the dc connector before cutting wires. This tv is then connected to my phone's internet which is boosted to a wifi RV signal booster. This way was a lot cheaper and better looking than buying an "rv" 12v tv.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,551 Posts
If you're past 55, T Mobile has a good deal. 2 phones (you have to be 55 but your granson doesn't). For $90 (no additional fees, taxes, etc) you can get 2 lines with unlimited phone, internet, text and 40GB of high speed tethering (using your phone as a hotspot) on each line.

They just changed plans to what may be a better deal... I have the $90 for 2 Magenta Plus plan. Have not had issues with no service, unless we're in an area with no ATT, no VER also!

No, I don't work for T Mobile... have had ATT, VER, and see no difference in service... just a better price.

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT Camper Conversion in CT (TX for now due to Covid)
882 Posts
I actually just installed a smart tv into my van. This tv comes with an ac plug that runs at 19v peak volts. I cut that wire and connected a 12v to 19v step up, and that is all there is to it. You have to make sure the tv has the dc connector before cutting wires. This tv is then connected to my phone's internet which is boosted to a wifi RV signal booster. This way was a lot cheaper and better looking than buying an "rv" 12v tv.
This is the way to do it. Find a 19V DC television (you can't go by brand, I have some Samsung that are 19V and some use 110AC) Use a DC DC converter. It is better than trying to find a 12V Tv, most of those are cheapish units by no name brands.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also agree with T-Mobile. My wife uses ATT because its free from work and I have T-Mobile. I am not exactly sure about your area, but after traveling throughout the U.S I have noticed very minimal differences in coverage between those 2. However the cost between the 2 are staggering. Also I get free service in Canada and Mexico. The price from T-mobile is very upfront. When it says $45. It's $45. Taxes and all other charges are included, unlike ATT. Somehow it always seems they are adding additional who knows what charges on the bill.

Edit* As stated above, but not sure if you know that your phone can act as a mobile hotspot device. You can opt to buy a mobile wifi device/plan for your vehicle but it is overpriced I think. Just get yourself a phone to send a signal to your devices, tethering. Also if I know I will be in an area where there is minimal or no service. I usually download everything I want to watch onto my phone and then hook my laptop up and watch it on another device. You can do this on the TV or even a projector.

If you wanna try to do the same setup as mine. These are the 2 things I used. As far as longevity and quality, I can't review since I just hooked it up last weekend.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-24-class-led-hd-smart-webos-tv/6337604.p?skuId=6337604 (if you take a look at the picture really closely, you can see the dc input, but they have an ac plug that comes with it)

You will cut this line, the grounding wires are wrapped around the positive wires. Then you'll have to connect these to wires to the 12v-19v step up. I used this cheap one I found on amazon, but any of them would probably work.

After that its pretty much the same as any other 12v component.

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
Another option would be a portable monitor connected to a smart phone. They operate from their own internal battery, so there's no need for an additional cord. That's the route I wish I had gone as I'm not a huge fan of my permanently mounted TV which is always there but rarely gets used. If I had to do it all again, I'd set up a spot for a monitor to hang from the ceiling when needed, but could be put away when it's not.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,551 Posts
As mentioned in other threads, a portable projector for TV uses very little power (or battery powered) and can provide a good sized picture in a small space. My projector is about 5" x 5" x 5" and it projects from 20" to 120" screen... I use a 40" screen. Mine is 19V with an adapter setup like mentioned above.

Regarding T-Mobile, they also gave me a free subscription to Netflix (no charge, included) for as long as I have the account. Internet entertainment on the road!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, I just got my van on the road and I’ve taken one trip from my home in Delaware to Tennessee and back, 13 hours each way. I was able to connect to Internet on my iPhone but that’s not gonna work. I’ve been studying and reading and studying and reading on how to get the Internet in my van so I can use my iPad and a 12 V smart TV I’m hoping to buy soon. First problem, I can’t find a 12 V smart TV. Does anybody have a connection for that? Second, I’m just confused about what I need to buy to have Internet. I currently have an iPhone 7 and I’m on my ex son-in-law‘s plan. He’s in the process of getting me off of his account and setting me up with my own AT&T account. (My grandson Will also be on the plan with me) I think I’d rather be with Verizon based on everything I’ve read but hopefully I can make that switch down the road if necessary. Going with AT&T right now will be so much easier for me. I don’t want to get ripped off when I go into the store to buy whatever it is I need. Is there something basic I can get? I don’t live in my van but will probably spend six months out of the year in it. I don’t work.I just like cruising the Internet for leisure, have access to information and I want to watch my smart TV. 99% of the time I can find everything I like to watch on YouTube including movies. I’m a little older and have never had to take care of my own phone business. I am so ignorant about all of this. Can anybody make any recommendations? Thank you
Many, many thanks to everyone who replied to my post. It is so helpful getting information from people who know what I’m talking about. I’m off to a couple stores now to see what kind of deals I can strike. Thanks again

·
Registered
2019 MY, 136 WB, High Roof
24 Posts
Another thing to watch out for is smell. I recently bought a VIZIO 24” TV because it has built in Apple wireless mirroring. When installed in the van plastic from the TV was very penetrant. I had to return it. Better smell in the box before purchasing:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I second the TMobile deal. I've driven across country and up and down the east coast and always had great reception, on my iphone and ipad. I have unlimited everything for $50, no tax.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We use our Verizon/Samsung phones to Hotspot to an Android tablet to watch things. $45 a month for unlimited everything.
We also download a stack of movies to our tablet before our trips so we have something to watch when we have spotty or no phone service.
So your plan is with Verizon? i’m on a plan now with some family members and have unlimited data but I don’t have a mobile hotspot. Verizon said if I get my own plan with a mobile hotspot the most I can get is 15 GB. So they told me to buy a jet pack. How are you getting unlimited mobile hotspot for $45? Is this with Verizon?

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
502 Posts
Verizon / Play more unlimited. 15 Gigs at 5G, unlimited at 4G. I use sometimes up to 40 gigs per month and have never felt throttled back. At home in Southern Oregon 5G doesn't even exist.
No jetpack or anything else. We just Hotspot from the phone. It is unlimited Hotspot.
Don't let them fool you. And 5G Nationwide is such a crock of bull, they don't have 5G everywhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts