Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the base model radio in my 1500 136 low roof.
The USB port near the key switch is supposed to play MP3's??
Ive hooked my Samsung andriod phone to it via mini-usb-USB and nothing pushes thru to the stock stereo.
Ive put MP3s on a USB stick and still nothing..
The Stereo only reads out "USB ERROR" when selecting USB from the head unit (SRC button),
then goes back to radio.
is anyone having any luck with this port..
Mine also lacks the round 'mini-plug' that most radios have nowadays
BTW.. it DOES charge my phone when hooked there..
AND the other one. by the glove bo.x does NOT charge the phone when the key is OFF, contrary to what the book says.
weird...

·
Super Moderator
7,435 Posts
I have the uconnect but everything works fine. I use both memory sticks and my own cd's and had to experiment with the file types a bit to get them to play but it all worked out fine. I think the phone plays best through Bluetooth but you don't have that I guess.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, Ive got the USB sticks playing now.
I needed to format the stick first using 'FAT32' file system.
I had them formatted to 'NTFS' before so I could play my movies on the Samsung 50" LED straight from the thumb drive.

so, that's solved.., now to figure how to get it to recognize my phone's USB for the music player where most of my music is.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmmmm good thought, keeponvaning....
Take the micro SD out of the phone...
Copy it to my 'puter....
Format the micro ro FAT32.. recopy the tunes back to it...

And try it again...
Its worth a shot.
Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I have the same problem with my usb connection. I read your post but i don't understand the way to change it… I'm not a wizzzzz.
I try a iPhone 4s and a usb key and it,s always a "error"
I use mac in my office and my files are in mp3

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just got my 2016 PM with the stock radio, and so far I get an error message when plugging in my iPhone's power cord to the USB on the left by the ignition and toggling the source button on the radio to USB. I am going to try using a 3.5mm to USB cable. So go out of the iPhone headphone jack and into the PM's USB that way instead. I am hoping this works. I will report back.

·
Premium Member
7,739 Posts
I have iPhone and USB cable and like you I have not had it play. When/if you get it working I’ll play my podcasts from my phone.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would like to know if you're able to get a cord with a 3.5 headphone jack and USB on either end. Let us know if it works and where you found the cord at.
Thanks

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another good reason to not order the OEM radio. I don't believe it will ever work for you without a Bluetooth connection. At least my uC5 will play all the music on my iPhone 6+ thru BT. I've never tried an audio book or podcast however.
The base UC3 unfortunately doesn't have Bluetooth or a CD player.
May have to buy a USB stick and copy music to it and leave it in the van.
The sticks are about a buck a gig now. Very cheap

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I would like to know if you're able to get a cord with a 3.5 headphone jack and USB on either end. Let us know if it works and where you found the cord at.
Thanks
jimmy,

That's not gonna work, even if you could get the cord. A USB stick has the sound in digital format decoded by the radio, the headphone jack is audio decoded by the phone/mp3 player.

ed

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm having no issue connecting an iPhone 5s via the USB port to the uConnect 5.0 in my van. The controls on the steering wheel, iPhone and touchscreen uConnect all work correctly, thank goodness. The phone simultaneously connects via Bluetooth to the radio, also.

The only hassle, is that I usually must have Bluetooth turned off on my phone before I use a cable to connect to the USB port near the ignition switch. The uConnect wants to link the tunes on my phone via Bluetooth first so I need to disable that so that it skips that and goes on to poll the cable connection. After a successful link-up, I can turn the BT back on at the phone and usually the radio will find it. Sometimes I need to re-pair the two devices.

·
Registered
241 Posts
It used to be that Android devices could appear as a "mass storage" device when connected to a USB master (like the Uconnect). However, Google decided that wasn't going to be supported anymore, and so now Android devices only appear as Media Transport Protocol (MTP) or Picture Transport Protocol (PTP) devices, neither of which the Uconnect understands how to communicate with - hence the error.

Do what I did: buy a cheap 256G USB memory stick, format it FAT32, and put your music collection on that.

·
Premium Member
7,739 Posts
Yup, done it! My UC-3 is supposed to "Random Play” and with about 1500 or more songs you would think you wouldn’t hear the same song very often........ NOT. I now think I am going to have to randomize my playlist and let the radio play from the beginning not to hear the same song two or three times in an hour (!) or twice in 4 or 5 songs (!) My iPhone shuffles and seems to keep track of which songs have been played and does not replay them. One more UC irritant. GGRRRRR.

·
Premium Member
7,739 Posts
Yea but... Johnny Cash “I’ve Been Everywhere” about every hour? I get tired just thinking about it!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My USB stick in my UC3 is a collection of folders. I folder + and - button between them.

"Random" play does shuffle the songs within the given folder.
It wont shuffle 'all' songs on the stick.

·
Premium Member
7,739 Posts
I have all the files on the usb stick no folders.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts