Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2018 136 HR
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the board and thanking everyone who contributes.

We are building a platform bed - Many people recommend LURÖY slats with Skorva support beams - or something similar. We have been thinking of using plywood sheet - Is the breath-ability with plywood as a platform an issue? We are new to this and welcome your thoughts

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,755 Posts
The common wisdom is that you should use slats and not plywood or any sheet good that won't let air circulate underneath your mattress.

·
Premium Member
8,882 Posts
The IKEA slats also give a bit making the bed much more comfortable IMHO. We used one of their 4+ inch thick mattresses and found them a great combination.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
6,433 Posts
Depends on where you are and where you go. If humidity is an issue and you want to use plywood, drill holes in it. I used plywood 5 years ago with the idea that I would drill holes if I ever had a problem—slats would not work in my build. I haven’t had a problem, but I also avoid/control humidity.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
If you google "RV mattress mold" you will see it's definitely an issue to be aware of anyway. We live in mold's happy place (coastal PNW). Besides ventilation for combating mold and a bit more spring for comfort, we also like the IKEA solution because it goes together and comes apart so easily. Our utilities (water tank, batteries, etc) are under the front-half of the bed. We can easily remove the mattresses, slats, and rails in a jiffy to work on the utilities and/or create more vertical space for hauling big items (washers, dryers, etc) in the garage space under the back-half of the bed. The IKEA components also break down into smaller, lighter, more-manageable pieces than one big sheet of plywood.

·
Registered
'17 136 HT Black
332 Posts
I did both. I made my slats out of 2x3 and then used 1/8" board on top so that I could still store flatter items under my mattress. I've had it that way for a little over a year now without any mold issues and I live in a high humidity area.

·
Registered
2019 1500 136 HR in CA
27 Posts
We used the Luroy Skorva combo with a $100 6” foam short queen mattress and it’s worked great. Super comfortable. We used zip ties to secure the slats and we can easily take out the bed when needed.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
3,410 Posts

We are building a platform bed - Many people recommend LURÖY slats with Skorva support beams - or something similar. We have been thinking of using plywood sheet - Is the breath-ability with plywood as a platform an issue? We are new to this and welcome your thoughts
We used plywood & like MsNomer we will cut or drill round holes In the plywood sheets to dissipate mattress moisture if we feel it is becoming a problem (So far no issued detected). Another reason for cutting out a pattern of say 4” or 6” diameter holes would be to eliminate some weight (3/4” BB cabinet trade plywood).

We have a queen bed 60” wide by 74” long that is positioned head @ drivers side & feet @ passenger side. We purchased a regular memory foam/firm foam base mattress 80” long & cut 6” off the feet end.

The plywood we purchased comes in 60” by 60” sheets. So 1 full sheet (no cuts) & 14” ripped from another sheet. Photos on my build thread if you are interested.

·
Registered
2018 136 HR
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you! - I like you build thread - Can I ask what type of bed you got and if you like it? - We plan a similar set-up at the back - I see there are some short queens 60x74 on the market and wonder if they would be too tight. - Thanks again

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
3,410 Posts
Thank you! - I like you build thread - Can I ask what type of bed you got and if you like it? - We plan a similar set-up at the back - I see there are some short queens 60x74 on the market and wonder if they would be too tight. - Thanks again
You are very welcome;

IIRC it was a “Spa Sensation” foam & memory foam 60” x 80” & either 6” or 8” height

This one I think;

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I used plywood and a latex foam mattress. I bought the mattress from The Foam Factory. It is perforated and they told me that it would breath while on top of the plywood.

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
450 Posts
I used plywood and a latex foam mattress. I bought the mattress from The Foam Factory. It is perforated and they told me that it would breath while on top of the plywood.
I think it really depends on your usage, climate and ventilation. I have a latex mattress as well on a plywood platform. 1st year living full time in my Airstream, no problem. This spring I lifted the mattress and to my horror discovered moldy patches on the wood and the mattress cover. I immediately drilled a bunch of holes into my platform and also placed my mattress on a Hypervent mat. The holes alone would probably be sufficient, though, but I just didn’t want to risk it since it’s my “house”.

Reactions: travelvanvan

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
450 Posts
MaggieMarty, for calibration, where do you hang out when?
Southern California! Usually very arid, but winters can be wet (-ish). I’m pretty stingy with heating my AS and keep it in the mid 50’s, but still. And I’m a stickler for ventilation, that’s why I was so shocked.
In the meantime I replaced my old Fantastic fans with clamshell MaxxAir (2), so I’ll try to do an even better job with the ventilation next winter. Right now the humidity is 15%.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
3,410 Posts
Southern California! Usually very arid, but winters can be wet (-ish). I’m pretty stingy with heating my AS and keep it in the mid 50’s, but still. And I’m a stickler for ventilation, that’s why I was so shocked.
In the meantime I replaced my old Fantastic fans with clamshell MaxxAir (2), so I’ll try to do an even better job with the ventilation next winter. Right now the humidity is 15%.
Not heating up interior air (so it can hold more moisture) & then ventilating it to save money on the heating bill is a false economy. Moist air costs more to heat than drier air. The trick is to heat up the air, exhaust it & bring in fresh "drier" air and cycle the process again. If you install a "heat exchanger" with a condensate line you could save on this process however for a van is probably overkill.

A few years ago we spent a large amount of money on Tempur-pedic Mattress and adjustable bed bases. The bed bases are solid, IIRC we were told those mattresses "vent" from the sides.

We keep our house below 50% moisture in the interior air (controlled by a dehumidistst - again maybe overkill in a van).

·
Registered
220 Posts
Solid plywood bed. 2x4s and then urethaned wood.
$80 4" memory foam mattress topper
Cheap, easy, and I don't sound pompous by saying LURÖY slats with Skorva support beams
No mold whatsoever after 2.5 years of use

Reactions: Mick99

·
Registered
2021 118 low, Black
205 Posts
I've gone with 2 sheets of plywood laminated. 2" angle iron bolted in 3 places.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Like it says I'm designing my bed platform. I've been looking at birch ply having done the interior panels of my van in it but for 12mm thick I've been quoted £35.80 (inc vat) for an 8 x 4 sheet. And I'll need 2 for my design. :(

So thought about using OSB which, OK it isn't the prettiest stuff around, but it's much cheaper. Like £10 for a Has anyone used it to sleep on? Am I right in thinking that 11mm would be OK? I've done my garage roof in it just a bit thinner and that's stayed up OK.
I'm currently using two full pallets (no slats) fit almost perfect, just notched each side to fit in the rib wall and added a long hinge from HD to Hold'em together and fold them when not in use....works great! cost me $5-$10 for the hinge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts