Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
May 16th, WW1 Museum and Curtis Creek Corps of Engineers Campground

Wow did it rain. I thought golf ball size hail was hitting the van.

Heavy Rain and traffic going into KC. After the museum I headed west. Stayed at Curtis Creek Campground for a couple of nights and toured Fort Riley.
IMG_20210516_101309251.jpg IMG_20210516_161532860_HDR.jpg

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
May 18th, Eisenhower Library (closed), Dodge City and Cimarron

Boot Hill Museum was well done and worthwhile. Had a Sarsaparilla at the Long Branch.

IMG_20210518_141238866_HDR.jpg IMG_20210518_190130424_HDR.jpg

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
May 19th Fort Carson, Cheyenne Mountain State Park, Woodland Park Diamond Campground

No reservations. Cheyenne Mountain SP full, but spaces available at Muller. RV Parks along the highway full. Bunch of USFS Campgrounds North of Woodland Park. I had reservations at Diamond in two days. At the last minute I decided to check. "My" site was available! Power for the electric heater, clean restrooms, friendly folks. The couple in the Coach House are thinking of a diy camper.

IMG_20210519_135252494_HDR.jpg IMG_20210519 Fort Carson from Cheyenne State Park.jpg IMG_20210519_155005477_HDR.jpg

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I realized Memorial Day was upon me. Scrambled around and found a site for Thursday-Sunday at Palisade Basecamp RV Resort in Palisade, CO. Interestingly they have "Van electric" sites. Big enough for a van only and electric only.

·
Registered
426 Posts
So it's time to put the LAWT (Little Awesome White Thing) on the road.
View attachment 74036

Rough Schedule, subject to change once I roll.
Leaving Georgia May 12, 2021
Lake Tahoe June 12, 2021
Neah Bay, WA June 29, 2021
Mississippi Headwaters July 23, 2021
Home August 8, 2021

Anybody along this route interested in a meet up?

JoelMyer
FYI, regarding your planned route through the Northwest and the Olympic Peninsula. Parts of Olympic National Park are accessed via tribal lands. Cape Flattery and Shi Shi Beach beyond Neah Bay go through the Makah Reservation, And Second Beach Trailhead near La Push are on the Quileute Reservation. Both tribes have indicated that closures due to Covid-19 will continue. Makah tribe has indicated closures through October 1 but could open sooner if conditions permit. Quileute tribe is closed at least through June 14th when they will re-evaluate. Lake Ozette Trails appear to be open with some restrictions North of Cape Alava on the Ozette Reservation..

From the Olympic NP Trail Conditions Page:

Coastal Trails & Routes
Coastal Area Notices:

• As of March 17, the Quileute Tribe has closed the Quileute Reservation to the general public until further notice. This closure includes the Second Beach Trailhead.
  • As of March 16, the Makah Tribe has closed the Shi Shi Beach Trailhead to the general public until further notice. There will be no access to Shi Shi Beach from the north. For more information on the closure, please visit the website for the Makah Tribe (https://makah.com/).
  • The Ozette Indian Reservation is closed to the public. Hiking north past the campsites at Cape Alava is prohibited. Please see the park alerts to see when/if this closure is lifted.
  • Cannonball Island (Tskawahyah Island) is part of the Ozette Indian Reservation and is always closed to the public. Please respect this closure.
Link to Makah Announcement:

·
Registered
2018 ProMaster 3500 159" extended Fulltime 4 season van build
390 Posts
There are plenty of spots waterfront at Storrie Lake State Park in Las Vegas, New Mexico. Will be here until at least Monday and expect to head up to Colorado and will try to see if our paths cross.
20210521_133843.jpg
20210521_134051.jpg

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
There are plenty of spots waterfront at Storie Lake State Park in Las Vegas, New Mexico. ...
Great! Actually I'm probably leaving Colorado monday the 31th but you never know.

Once upon a time (2006?) we stopped in Las Vegas, NM and the welcome center lady recommended Charlie's **** and Span. It was great! Not fancy but the food was obviously freshly prepared. I just checked and they are still there. Highly recommended.

Good looking van. What's that drum stick thing sticking up?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,969 Posts
We just finished 4 nights at Saddlehorn Campground in Colorado National Monument with my son and wife we hadn’t seen in 16 months. Some really great hikes in the area. Monument Canyon Trail was easy and reminiscent of Grand Canyon. Start at the bottom and go up as far as like, then return back down. Yes, there have been some fierce winds the last few days.

·
Registered
2018 ProMaster 3500 159" extended Fulltime 4 season van build
390 Posts
Great! Actually I'm probably leaving Colorado monday the 31th but you never know.

Once upon a time (2006?) we stopped in Las Vegas, NM and the welcome center lady recommended Charlie's **** and Span. It was great! Not fancy but the food was obviously freshly prepared. I just checked and they are still there. Highly recommended.

Good looking van. What's that drum stick thing sticking up?
Their donuts were delicious, thanks for recommending. They also make fresh tortillas and the food smelled great, I must pace myself.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
May 25, 2021 North Rim Campground, Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

They had 50 blocked west of Gunnison and detoured everybody on CO 92. That made my decision on which side to the Black Canyon to visit.

CO 92 joins my short list of awesome mountain rides.

01 Map Colorado 92.jpg IMG_0240.JPG IMG_0244.JPG

I'm now in Palisade Basecamp RV Resort for the Memorial Day Weekend.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hey,

How are things with the surge in travel? Especially now that everyone is traveling around the US instead of overseas.
In May not so much. Yesterday & today passing through Capital Reef National Park one of the stops was full and a good bit of traffic. The fill fuel stations on & off of the interstate were packed.

May 31st I left Palisade for Green River State Park. I had reserved a site. Mid afternoon arrivals seemed to find a site, later arrivals didn't.

June 1st - Green River to Goblin State Park, Highway 24 through Capital Reef to UT 12 to Kodachrome State Park. Not crowded really except that one stop and the big gas station at Highway 24/12. Awesome scenery.

June 2nd - came into Fillmore UT, huge crowd at the Maverick Fuel Station. Got a site without reservations noonish.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts