Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Excited to be picking up a new to me promaster. Has 7500 miles on it.

Just signed up to start poking around and see what I can expect mechanically from this vehicle and what the major known issues are to look for.

It seems every vehicle has something.

I had a 97 impmreza l for a while. Rear quarter panel rust, rear wheel bearings, CV boots, were kinda it's thing. It only had the 2.2l so it didn't suffer the head gasket problems the 2.5l did that year.

I went to a Volkswagen tdi after that. It's being bought back. And well, those had several issues.

Fragile high pressure fuel pump, icing up of the intercooler leading to possible water ingestion. Exhaust flapper, intake flapper. Dpf loading and clogging issues long term. Oh and well emissions delete software.

From what I've seen on here fiat and Chrysler dealers and service are probably on par with my VW experience.

Luckily the pentastar doesn't have a dpf, turbo, high pressure fuel pump or the host of other nuances a small turbo charged diesel has. I was looking for the diesel offering in the promaster but due to their rarity, extra price, limited dealer support and parts availability and uncertain future I figured I'd stick with a naturally aspirated gas motor this purchase. Possibly save some headaches.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I’d do everything possible to see service records on it. You don’t want a lemon someone else gave up on.

Most of us have very reliable pro masters. But get a bad one, and oh boy, some dealers just don’t know what they are doing.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I’d do everything possible to see service records on it. You don’t want a lemon someone else gave up on.

Most of us have very reliable pro masters. But get a bad one, and oh boy, some dealers just don’t know what they are doing.

Agreed! I guess I was lucky with my old 14 model. Just a few issues and its been great over all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Service records for 7,500 miles? It had one oil change per car fax. The second was when the dealer did it when they took it as a trade.

Hopefully all goes well. I haven't driven it since I got it home the other day and it probably won't get many miles on the next few weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts