Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been using it since forever both here and on my woodworking forum. Now they have disabled all embedded photos unless I pay them big money--equivalent to a hi-jack. They want $40/ month, which is totally outrageous.

I will start using another service, but I guess what I've contributed in the past is gone unless the backlash is so great that Photobucket relents.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
$40 a month?! I'd switch to imgur.com

·
Super Moderator
10,163 Posts
I've been using it since forever both here and on my woodworking forum. Now they have disabled all embedded photos unless I pay them big money--equivalent to a hi-jack. They want $40/ month, which is totally outrageous.

I will start using another service, but I guess what I've contributed in the past is gone unless the backlash is so great that Photobucket relents.
You can buy your own domain name and website for about $75 a year or less!. That's what I do although I still post my images from postimg for privacy.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Ransomware: A type of malicious software designed to block access to a computer system until a sum of money is paid... Fine, that's just my opinion, but what a misadventure for bunches of people w/o legal recourse!

I think* Dropbox did the same thing a couple of months ago, and their fee is $130 to unlock their changes. "As of March 2017 the Public folder in your Dropbox account has been converted into a standard folder. By default this folder is private to your account. If you’re a Basic user, and you created a website that directly displays HTML content from your Dropbox account, it will no longer render in the browser."

·
Registered
627 Posts
This has long been our principal concern with "the cloud" - - be it (free) hosting or programs/apps that cannot be downloaded and run locally. We pondered this very 'loss of content' as we adopted, essentially for the first time, a free on-line service (Flickr) in order to meet the posting requirements of this forum. You have rekindled our concerns. The value of this forum is its content and the ability to research other users' posts. For this reason it would seem prudent for the forum to provide the necessary storage necessary for direct posting.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You can buy your own domain name and website for about $75 a year or less!. That's what I do although I still post my images from postimg for privacy.

I can setup anyone on here with their own domain and website for $15.00 a year. Let me know if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
As usual Winston is right. If tinypic.com does the same thing to me you are not gonna see my pictures as I'M NOT GONNA PAY A LOT FOR THIS MUFFLER oops I mean SERVICE.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Just an experiment to see if I could remember how to embed an image from Flickr, a shot from last weekend up at the cabin.
I'm paying for Flickr anyway as one of several repositories in case I loose the main computer at home.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/W6iBu7]With the 14mm by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr[/URL]

·
Registered
734 Posts
I use Google drive to store everything I have. I think I pay $9 or $10 per month for 100 gigs of storage. I have it setup so my entire hard drive continually syncs to it so when I leave my house I have access to every document on my phone and tablet. I use this for my business so it is critical and $10/month is pretty cheap. My wife and I also have Google pixel phones so we have unlimited full resolution photo storage for free.

Apps are a new way of producing software for us to use and is tough to pay monthly fees because we're used to paying once and owning it. But with everything being stored in the cloud and since we are continually receiving updates to the software I can see why monthly charges are necessary. I own a property management company and use lots of apps that save me days worth of time. Some I pay a yearly fee and others I pay a monthly fee. But they are worth every penny because of the time they save. Now I never sit down with anyone to sign a lease. I just send a link from my computer and they sign on their phone. I also use zapier to answer the hundreds of rental emails I receive. I could go on but you don't care that much :)

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
627 Posts
Old Fashioned is Not Obsolete

$10/month is pretty cheap.

Apps are a new way of producing software for us to use and is tough to pay monthly fees because we're used to paying once and owning it.
It is clear we share differing views. We are not trying to convince you, only offer the 'other side'.

$10/month is pretty cheap until you multiply it by 100. And that's not an exaggeration when you consider the number of apps/services/systems and devices that the marketplace wants to rent you. We prefer to pay once to own and resist - - as best we can - - the rental option.

Concerning cloud storage we think you may have missed our point. We have been burned numerous times by cloud 'offerings' (not just storage) that we adopted only to have them disappear or, in some cases, become subscription based. Frankly it doesn't make sense that someone is going to provide you with teribytes of free storage so, at some point in time, you're going to have to pay for it. Why pay for it when it is so inexpensive to maintain it yourself?

And there are practical problems with cloud storage of data . . . with the photos, videos, music and other data that we maintain, our consumption now measures into the teribytes and we have not found that we, anyway, have good enough access to the cloud to make the storage of that quantity of data practical. And then there's the problem of using the data . . . ok, it may be fine if all you're using the cloud for is 'back-up' and you can wait the hours necessary to pull the data 'back-down' . . . but if you're trying to edit some videos, that data must be local.

You can have access to your data while on the road from anywhere whether you store it 'at home' or in the cloud. In either case, wherever you are, you have to have an internet connection with sufficient bandwidth to meet your then instantaneous data requirements. All of our data is available anywhere in the world. But some of it we carry with us on a portable server to overcome the slowness of most (campground) internet connections.

We understand that the 'cloud' (and renting software) is the 'new wave'. But new doesn't mean it is the only way, nor even the best way.

·
Registered
734 Posts
It is clear we share differing views. We are not trying to convince you, only offer the 'other side'.

$10/month is pretty cheap until you multiply it by 100. And that's not an exaggeration when you consider the number of apps/services/systems and devices that the marketplace wants to rent you. We prefer to pay once to own and resist - - as best we can - - the rental option.

Concerning cloud storage we think you may have missed our point. We have been burned numerous times by cloud 'offerings' (not just storage) that we adopted only to have them disappear or, in some cases, become subscription based. Frankly it doesn't make sense that someone is going to provide you with teribytes of free storage so, at some point in time, you're going to have to pay for it. Why pay for it when it is so inexpensive to maintain it yourself?

And there are practical problems with cloud storage of data . . . with the photos, videos, music and other data that we maintain, our consumption now measures into the teribytes and we have not found that we, anyway, have good enough access to the cloud to make the storage of that quantity of data practical. And then there's the problem of using the data . . . ok, it may be fine if all you're using the cloud for is 'back-up' and you can wait the hours necessary to pull the data 'back-down' . . . but if you're trying to edit some videos, that data must be local.

You can have access to your data while on the road from anywhere whether you store it 'at home' or in the cloud. In either case, wherever you are, you have to have an internet connection with sufficient bandwidth to meet your then instantaneous data requirements. All of our data is available anywhere in the world. But some of it we carry with us on a portable server to overcome the slowness of most (campground) internet connections.

We understand that the 'cloud' (and renting software) is the 'new wave'. But new doesn't mean it is the only way, nor even the best way.
I misread your post earlier and my reply didn't really make sense.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts

I use Photobucket and I only pay $20 for 2 years, using the "Plus 20" plan which appears to be no longer available.
They still offer a "Plus 50" option for $6 per month, and a "Plus 100" option for $10.

http://photobucket.com/pricing

Do you really need over 100 gigs of photos available to link on the web?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I never used PB for storage. I only used it for forum hosting. They now say that hosting is available only with the most expensive plan.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts