Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With a nod to COVID, Hiker's Paradise has a new toilet. For five years, my bag 'n bucket on an upturned stool worked just fine:

However, with COVID, the toilet becomes a daytime necessity instead of just a night time convenience. No more hopping into the convenience store rest room at will. Also, I had for some time contemplated how to have taller seating than the stool for eating at the table, and I wanted a convenient seat for putting on/taking off boots without having to swivel the seat.

The new toilet has a 12”x16” base and stands 19.5” tall.

It sits at the rear of the slider 3” from the existing cabinetry.

Bolts attaching it to the cabinetry go through two shelves.

I have retained the bag 'n bucket system on the inside.

Behind the bucket, I can store two rolls of paper towels and two rolls of TP, thus freeing up storage space elsewhere. They also keep the bucket from sliding around.

Because it is so low, it does not interfere with use of or view from the slider. Although I have always jealously guarded my open space (cue laughter from KOV, RD, and Proeddie), when I took it out to paint, I felt like something was missing. Plus, now even with a permanent toilet and the portable shower in place, there is still enough floor space for the two of us to move around.

·
Administrator
‘20 159 HT window van NH Seacoast
11,779 Posts
Just as long as your bucket doesn’t "got a hole in it" as the song goes, you’re good to go (so to speak)💩

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
4,045 Posts
Ha Ha Ha... as anticipated!

Nice design, and certainly an upgrade! I'm surprised that you don't have a few magnets holding the bucket in place... food for thought!

I've considered using a bag in our Thetford curve for travel when we're not on a trip, just as a backup plan if we don't have the water in and ready. Plus it saves a dump of the tank for occasional use! Any recommended bags to purchase?

(And some of the forum members here think they are actually done when they finish their build... we know better!)

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad "Guaranteed Strong" tall kitchen bags—ties instead of drawstring. I don't think the guarantee would be worth much, but I’ve never had a problem.

Next step is to make it "separating." A little more difficult than on the stool.

EDIT: That bag might seem too tall for you, but it could be folded over the seat similar to mine.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Glad "Guaranteed Strong" tall kitchen bags—ties instead of drawstring. I don't think the guarantee would be worth much, but I’ve never had a problem.
Thanks for the thread - I think we're all in the same place, looking for a more permanent toilet in these times.

Do you put kitty litter or some other absorbent in the bag?

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,743 Posts
What do you do with the bag-o-wet-sloppity-sh*t?

Plastic, so can't flush it.

I'd hate to be the waste worker who has to dump the can that has a burst bag-o-sloppity in it or the business owner whose dumpster contains raw human excrement :-(

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you put kitty litter or some other absorbent in the bag?
So far, no, but I can see that possibility, and it gets more complicated if No. 2 becomes a necessity. As-is for urine only, the bag is quite easy to dump into any toilet and does not normally smell because it doesn’t sit very long. i am looking at possibilities for when a toilet might not be readily available for dumping or the daily constitutional—some camp grounds may open to totally self-contained only. Kitty litter appears to be a viable possibility. Perfumed additives are a no-go. I may experiment at home.

Considering No. 2, I had success with a bag "separator" on my previous toilet. The BOS bag recommended by Megan (WithVanWeCan) works well.

What do you do with the bag-o-wet-sloppity-sh*t?
The few times I’ve dealt with that, I’ve deposited the contents in the toilet and tossed the neatly wrapped empty bag in the trash—just as with urine only. I am not a slob.

·
Administrator
11,779 Posts
They do make nice porta potties for about $100 that only require you to sit and then dump in a toilet or dump station every 5 or 6 days - why fool around with plastic bags and kitty litter?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Same reason we make all our choices. Because my system is better—for me. 😁 Five days of pee and poop? No thanks. Cleaning the toilet? No thanks.

Besides, something that heavy would be relegated to MrNomer and he wouldn’t like that.

·
Administrator
11,779 Posts
you wouldn’t smell it in a 159!😊

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
4,045 Posts
They do make nice porta potties for about $100 that only require you to sit and then dump in a toilet or dump station every 5 or 6 days - why fool around with plastic bags and kitty litter?
For others considering a porta potti... The Thetford Curve (no affiliation) is normal height, works well, and has decent capacity. I've had it for about 4 years, no issues.

If you add 4 oz of Coleman deodorant, it will easily hold "stuff" for 2 weeks with no detectable smell. The "drain" is only open for a second while flushing. We use it parimarily for liquid, but it works well for both. 5 gallon waste capacity. Added feature... electric flush (batteries, no wires) works well, and controls water use.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Now that this post has me thinking about a toilet, here's a nice looking urine diverting dessicating ("composting") toilet that could be used as a model for a DIY version if you don't want to spend for their laser-cut baltic birch enclosure:

Clever use of magnets. Very compact, like MsNomer's, which is what I'm looking for. That said, it doesn't look like there's room for TP or composting medium storage inside so those would have to be kept somewhere.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It would be very easy and simple to get from mine to a separating, composting toilet. I’ve never understood why composting toilets, even without supply storage, tend to be big square things.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts