Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used peel and seal, reflective roof membrane on their van roof? Someone told
Me it may help to reflect the hot sun And help keep the cargo area a bit cooler. Advice and comments welcome, please! Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I've never used it or heard of it.
From reading the description and spec sheet, the reasons I don't like it are:
It only has a 10 yr warranty, which is low for current roofing industry standards.
It doesn't give a wind resistance rating. Driving the van (or any vehicle) at highway speeds would subject the material to near cat-1 hurricane wind speeds on a regular basis.
There was no mention of its water resistance on a flat roof.
My guess is there's a reason it only has a 10 yr warranty.
Having never used it, I don't know how easy it is to apply, so no idea how difficult it would be to get it tight to the roof, with all the narrow humps and valley's on the van. Particularly the deep, narrow channels where the wall panels meet the roof. Of that's not in perfect contact, water will get in and trapped under it.
Also, if you were to apply it first, then cut a hole for a roof fan, I don't know how well a sealant would stick to or last on the aluminum composite surface.
It did say you could order a free sample. Maybe do that and see how pliable and thick/heavy it is. See how well it sticks to metal and how hard it is to get off. Maybe see what adhesives and sealants stick to it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oops. I responded in your post in the introduction section...

But that discussion will probably close at some point, so feel free to respond to my thoughts/questions from there over here :)

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I'm sure it will work, I wouldn't do it, I'd use Tropi-cool like RNR and some others did.

This guy glued plywood to his roof with spray foam, anyone want to buy a van with plywood glued to the roof?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Phil, for the sake of all that is still holy in this world,
please tell me that is not your van with the plywood on the roof....

·
Registered
3,316 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phil, for the sake of all that is still holy in this world,
please tell me that is not your van with the plywood on the roof....
LOL PHIL! I promise you... It’s not me!! Haha!! I’ve decided I may try the tropic seal that someone suggested. Still tossing it around, but definitely won’t put plywood up there! Funny!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL PHIL! I promise you... It’s not me!! Haha!! I’ve decided I may try the tropic seal that someone suggested. Still tossing it around, but definitely won’t put plywood up there! Funny!

·
Premium Member
8,656 Posts
It is like Unik was back! Remember him? Mounted a window A/C in the passenger window etc.

·
Super Moderator
8,613 Posts
I'm sure it will work, I wouldn't do it, I'd use Tropi-cool like RNR and some others did.

This guy glued plywood to his roof with spray foam, anyone want to buy a van with plywood glued to the roof?
View attachment 65141
Does that make it a real "woody"? Asking for a friend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was thinking today I may look into putting a wrap on my roof either white or even Crome to reflect what I can. My van is dark grey. Anyone done a wrap just on the roof?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I wish I could remember the exact wording and terminology, but I looked into reflective surfaces a while back and it turned out that things like chrome and polished metal surfaces that are highly reflective, take longer to heat up, but actually get hotter than white surfaces after a certain length of time. Something to do with emissivity (?)
Plus, that would be really annoying to aircraft overhead.
Turns out, white reflects all colors in the spectrum and absorbs the least amount of energy.
I never thought about vinyl wrap. I'm cheap, so my only issue would be how expensive it is to have it done (I wouldn't attempt diy). Definitely better than dark gray.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts