Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New prospective owner here. Can anyone give me their experience with driving a 1500 with 3000+ lbs. loaded? According to the specs, this should not be too much. Our use would not be that extreme on a daily basis, but it would happen a few times a month.

Currently looking at a high roof 136/2500 or a low 136/1500.....don't need the high roof, but need the payload capability.

Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have had mine loaded with about 3500 lbs and while you can feel it with slower acceleration it actually drives better. The brakes seen more balanced. The transmission seems fine too. Mine is the 3500 159" extended but I don't think there is much difference between all of them. I think there is less than 400 lbs load carrying capacity between them. Mine will have a lower final drive ratio so it will feel less strained when fully loaded.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have the 1500 136wb....

I drove a load that weight 3750lb. I have a sheet of playwood in a back too thats prolly good 50lb...adding my weight, I'd guess I wass carrying nearly 3950 to 4000lbs

it was sitting low, really low..the front lights were not shooting high tho, so it was good.

It didnt make any weird noises, It drove like a dream, stuck well to the road, I even gotten a very nice 21mpg...99% highway driving...I think the weight was just pulling the car itself, and it kept rolling, while taking it easy on the engine.

The only thing is, breaking time. Add yourself good extra 5 to 10 sec for a complete stop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply! I'm just having a tough time wrapping my head around the Dodge 1500 designation and a 3,500+ lb payload. GMC 1500 max payload is what, 2,000? That means a load of maybe 1,700lbs. How is the lightest duty Promaster able to handle so much? I realize it's a completely different design, but still...I'd hate to regret the decision 2 weeks after making it.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Don't look at the numbers 1500/2500/3500 so much. they do not have the meaning of
old days. Etc the difference between the 3500 and the 2500 is a rear sway bar and lower
gears
And the 1500 to the 2500 is not much different.
The front wheel drive van is lighter then the others thus can carry heavy loads without
going over.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've Owned vans for the last 30 years. The 1500 promaster has them all beat .Hands down better than the 2 chevy vans 3 ford econlines and 1 dodge vans I have had.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts