Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

Registered
Appa the PastafariVan 2019 High Roof 2500 ProMaster 136WB
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Windows are in!

I ordered these from Peninsula Glass and we just followed their video to install.

Made cardboard stencils and centered them (as best we could). Drew an outline.

Drilled holes where the straight edge and curves meet.

20200926_122233.jpg

Transferred lines to the outside with a straight edge and printed out corner finisher. Cut along the lines with a jigsaw (first holes/cuts in our van :oops:).

PXL_20200926_194056496.jpg

PXL_20200926_202235541.jpg

PXL_20200926_202150635.MP.jpg

Please ignore our super messy garage 馃榿

The windows came with foam strips which we stuck on the rims, placed in the hole, and screwed into place.

20200926_153900.jpg

original_86d2641f-42f3-4448-b45e-0f647009f196_20200926_154426.jpg

Repeated steps for the smaller window.

original_d2984a87-ecd9-4a9b-b047-2e4dc9730f13_20200926_171832.jpg

Celebrated our success with drinks!

20200926_175106.jpg

20200926_175009.jpg

Almost as soon as we got the windows in the smoke started rolling in bad. 馃樂 So we packed everything up and headed inside.

Here is the video we followed for the install:

Hopefully I'll be getting around to updating the Xcel van budget sheet tomorrow.

Happy Vanning!
@Brad_Son_of_Dick

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Still taking it slow. We used last weekend to put up our insulation on the walls. We did great stuff and 1" polyiso board in most places. Covered a lot of the ribs with 3M spray and ez cool. This part wasn't too difficult, just some grunt work. I did put foam too close to our bed window and we had to cut it out when we realized we should have done some furring strips so the wall has something to attach to.

20201010_152745.jpg

In this last picture you can see that we've started working on some of our panels. We worked into the evening and lost light so I didn't get any photos. We'll post some in the next day or two.

20201010_152756.jpg

Hoping to have the bed back in tomorrow. Wish us luck! 馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
We got the garage walls up yesterday. Here is a picture.

So much for having the bed back in today. Instead we sat in the van for a while staring at the window over the bed and making a plan. Hopefully it works. We glued furring strips above and below the window and drew a stencil for that wall out of paper. The plan is to attached the wall to the ribs and the furring strips and then fill in the spaces around the window with felt or whatever else we find that might make that area look a bit nicer (any suggestions would be appreciated 馃榿) . If only we hadn't messed up there but I'm sure functionally it'll be great. Until then we're giving the glue 24 hours to cure.

In the meantime we decided to install the wheel well boxes. We measured and cut the wood for both boxes but only got one together as we ran out of brackets and a cold wind started making it very uncomfortable to be outside. Here's the completed box.

Goals for next week are to finish the other box, get the final 'bedroom' wall in place, and go on a trip. Wish us luck and have fun vanning!

Registered
2017 - 2500 159
How do you attach walls/furring? I'm in the slow, multi-weekend process of insulating, and find I have to think about how and where any plywood will be fastened. Also trying to think about finishes in the medium height space vs cabinets in the below waist and above shoulder spaces.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
How do you attach walls/furring? I'm in the slow, multi-weekend process of insulating, and find I have to think about how and where any plywood will be fastened. Also trying to think about finishes in the medium height space vs cabinets in the below waist and above shoulder spaces.
We're doing most of the furring on the ribs (for cabinets and heavy items) but for the bedroom wall with the window we glued them on with gorilla glue and liquid nail. If you're going to go that route I would take a look at Jelly Bean's Build, they did a great job with their window frame and wall furring strips. You can also look at these folk's build as they did something more along the lines of what we ended up doing but without the huge mess up we had to work around. If we started over I think we would glue some strips on before doing any insulation because it's a real pain to take off. Good luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
We did it. Friday we finished putting up the van walls and the box over the right wheel well. In order to get the window hole in the right spot we used tracing paper to trace the outside of the window. We then taped the paper on the window, put the wall in place, opened the window and drilled 5 holes into the paper and wall. This allowed us to line the paper up perfectly so we could make the window cut. As stated before, we don't have a frame so there is a bit of a gap between the window and the wall that I plan on filling with some type of fabric. I'm also planning on doing some 'trim' around the bedroom walls to make them look a bit more polished.

I didn't get great pictures of the walls since we were trying to leave for a weekend trip but here is our current set up and our doggo ready for adventure.

original_1971ebee-9cb8-4345-b617-c89af32d98f0_20201016_162547.jpg

We also got a sweet unfolding staircase for our 4 legged friend. We were unsure if he was going to use it but he figured it out and we're super happy to not have to lift him into the bed.

original_35614cd4-8a5f-442b-8e19-3894214af183_20201016_210136.jpg

We set up a small table for our make-shift kitchen. Not the best but it is doing the job for now.

20201017_092702.jpg

Here are a few other pictures from the rest of our weekend.

20201018_095843.jpg

original_6c4fded3-c7f4-458e-a620-bf0a017e0fb5_20201017_143946_exported_20458_1602974521684.jpg

20201017_144128_exported_6677_1602974034782.jpg

Next I think we're going to work on putting in the sink and some cabinets.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
We got A LOT more done over the weekend than anticipated. We now have most of the ceiling insulation. Still haven't done the very front panel because we still haven't put in the fan.

This was pretty straight forward. I great stuffed the insulation, stuck it on the ceiling, held it up with aluminum polls that failed us during our bed build, and great stuffed around the outside.

We also tackled the sink this weekend.

We started by building a base.

We bought a jig joint to make it strong and had quite a bit of fun using it.

Got a bit sloppy with the wood glue but it'll be covered eventually.

After we finished the structure we took our doggo out in his Halloween costume. It went alright, he did pee on the costume though.

The next day we made a counter top out of some spare plywood we had lying around.

We cut a hole for the sink. We needed to be careful because we didn't have a whole lot of wiggle room with the cabinet beams. We then drilled a hole for the facet (thank you neighbor for having a large enough spade drill bit). We then spent way too much time at Home Depot staring at hosing and joint pieces. We finally found what we needed and connected our clean water jug to our Gusher Galley, our Gusher Galley to the facet, and our drain into our grey water tank.

We thought this would be the final thing we were able to get done before our trip but lucky for us the Resource Center had a cabinet sale and we got this beauty for only $10.

Cleaned it out, put another painted plywood counter top on, and tied it to the wall with a rope. We aren't sure if this will be permanent but we're digging it for now. Magnets to keep the drawers and cabinets closed should be arriving tomorrow and we leave for our mountain biking/climbing trip Thursday.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Update on how our van did during our 6 day trip to Red Rocks, Nevada.

Brad had to work on Friday so here's his make-shift work station. Worked for the short term, we'll have to figure something else out long term.

Stopped for a break in Arizona on Saturday. Beautiful. The factory seats in the PM are a bit uncomfortable. Does anyone have suggestions for supports?

We wanted to ride every day but got stormed out so we played games instead. Picked up these sticky lights that run off a USB plug from Walmart, they worked super well.

Our kitchen set up was much better than when we went to Buena Vista. Way more back friendly. This cabinet did semi-tip over twice while we were driving as we did not know if it would be permanent and did a poor job securing it. We picked up a strap with a rachet and put it right under the counter top and no more tips.

However, on our way back we did lose a drawer. We're thinking it may not have been closed all the way since we drove for days without issues but we'll probably add a couple more magnets to each drawer and door. (Blurry pic, we were still driving).

Weather during our trip was colder than we thought it was going to be so perfect way to test our insulation job. We still don't have a heater so we had to wear layers in the van but we were able to sleep comfortably. Our last night in Utah was the coldest by far and our doggo had to sleep in the bed with us but with all the blankets I brought we were still warm. Once we have the heater in there I think we'll be super set.

I think we're going to start working on the upper cabinets next and try and figure out a layout for the kitchen/cabinet on the drivers side. Here are a few trips of the places we rode. Enjoy!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Adjust them til you find your sweet spot. Then they will be as comfortable as you鈥檝e ever sat in.
We'll keep working on it. I did find a position that wasn't too bad for one of my stretches. I'm mostly getting achy-ness in the mid-back.

Registered
2019 118" Silver
Didn't find the seats very comfortable at first either and it took quite a few tweaks with the weird 6-way adjustments, + lumbar knob on the side, but I finally found a position for what I feel is probably the most comfortable seating I've had for local and cross-country trips. Maybe it's the more upright, bus driver-like angle, I don't know but it really makes a difference in the fatigue level after 10-12 hours on the road.

Hey, you guys are hardened, mountain bikers anyway, right? You'll figure it out. ;-)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hey, you guys are hardened, mountain bikers anyway, right? You'll figure it out. ;-)
Haha, I guess that's true but it'd be nice to not get beat up by the bike and the van. We will for sure keep messing with them, this was only our first longish trip after all.

Registered
2019 118" Silver
Have enjoyed cycling too most of my life but never as much as when I lived in Grand Junction, CO ('95-'98) which for me was both a road and mountain biking paradise. Definitely understand what you mean by getting beaten up by the bike, especially those occasional crashes! This past month I gave my last bike (road/touring) away to a relative and find myself really missing it. At 67 I keep thinking about getting another mountain bike to take advantage of all the great trails here in the southern Appalachians, and to take along in the van when traveling.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hello again! It has been a while since we last posted and really we haven't made a ton of progress. We're at a point now where we can take the van anywhere we want comfortably so we're using it more than working on it 馃槉

Since November we...

Installed the electrical (you'll have to pretend the wires are there as I didn't get a competed picture). Once I got to wiring it turned out to be easier than I had anticipated. I did have to re-wire the battery monitor because I did it wrong the first time but now everything seems to be working great.

20210131_111730.jpg

Replaced our $10 vanity with a custom made cabinet for kitchen storage. Installed a TruckFridge. And prettied things up with glorified wallpaper. Layout for this is pretty straight forward. We are using bins and adding a lip instead of dealing with drawers. We are looking to put a silverware drawer up top soon.

20210220_151828.jpg

Installed a heater, we did this right before heading to Toas to dirtbag it in the parking lot. We made the mistake of not elevating the heater enough off the floor and had to take it out and redo it but now it's working wonderfully. We found this video super helpful with this:
We did also have an issue with the tube the Chinese heater came with and after a tiny bit of research realized we should have used a different tube so we adjusted that also.

20210206_153207.jpg

Toas was wonderful by the way.

Screenshot_20210226-094343_Instagram.jpg

Between Taos (Feb) and Moab (Apr) we did not do any work on the van...lazy bums. We decided to do a dual sport trip and did some snowboarding at Copper on the way out to Moab. The storage was absolutely not ready for this and we have a few things in mind to resolve the issue for future trips. The main issue was that we were unable to roll out our bike tray with the snowboards on the rack so we had to wheel our bikes our the hard way.

In Moab we had to get up early to ride to beat the heat since our fan still wasn't in and we took a little dip in the river. We found several quite campsites and we highly recommend going early April.

We finally put in some overhead storage, again keeping it simple. Bins so we rarely have to deal with latches! This was also the very first time we got a rivnut to line up perfectly on the 1st try!

I started trying out new bikes about a month ago and redid the privacy blanket by the bed (space) and attached a net for tire storage on the door (rainbow pirate fish). 馃馃彺鈥嶁槧锔

And finally, we got the fan cut and installed! We used a product our friend was so kind to give us and it was leak free two days later when we drove it in the rain so we were greatly appreciative.

Over Memorial Day Weekend we took a trip back to Buena Vista to do some riding. Got quite a bit of rain and everything was leak free! I had another demo bike, the Yeti SB140, and we got to witness a Splat Competition on the river. We did have another issue with the battery monitor when we tried to use our inverter for the first time but I'm thinking it's because I wired the fuse box through the inverter and the monitor did not like that. I should have the new cable tonight for a quick fix 馃

We have another trip planned this upcoming weekend and we'll be competing in a fun Triathlon. Brad is Kayaking, I'm biking, and my mom will run. I'll be demoing the Yeti SB115 for the race and I'm super excited!

Registered
love ur pics....tks for sharing ur adventures
gotta ask....in 1st pic in preceding post....what are the 6 bolts with washers in horizontal line do....are they "notches".....if notches, what fer?

Ahbbb....i see....they hold up bed!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
love ur pics....tks for sharing ur adventures
gotta ask....in 1st pic in preceding post....what are the 6 bolts with washers in horizontal line do....are they "notches".....if notches, what fer?

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
Those bolts along with some on the other side are holding our whole bed up. If you go back to our #17 post we talk about that process. We pretty much got none of those rivnuts right on the first try hence the giant washers. I am also using the washer/bolt on the right as our ground for the batteries.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts