Ram Promaster Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Here's my Chinese passenger armrest. One pic shows it attached to the bracket I made I used tapered head 14-20 SS fasteners and beveled the holes on the back of the bracket so only a smooth surface touches the seat back fabric. If you remove the plastic trim around the seat's base you'll uncover two large chrome bold heads that are tapped for 4mm fasteners. One of these heads is used as an attachment point for the trim. I used both heads as attachment points for my bracket. In the interests of sturdiness, I'll go back into it today and drill and tap the bold heads for 6 x 1mm bolts. That'll hold it better. I'll either set the trim piece aside for the next owner or I'll cut it off where it hits my bracket and just attach it with the forward hook and one side screw. Either way, quite happy with the project.

This $40 armrest is a mirror image of the factory drivers side one! The only diff is the adjuster under it is orange plastic instead of black. I unzipped my passenger seat cover and ut had no bracket welded in for an armrest. So tapping into these two hardpoints atop the bolt heads was a good option.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Following this thread, awaiting pics of an adapter plate.
I have a few ideas, but would love to see one in play.
Here's mine. I bolted it to the heads of the large hex nuts under the plastic side cover on the seat. Mine didn't have the bracket welded to the seat back frame under the seat cover. Last night I drilled out the holes in the large hex heads and tapped then for 1/4-20 screws to make it sturdier. Then I cut off the rear of the plastic trim where it is a round shape so it didn't interfere with the bracket I made. It got put back on with the forward hook and just the center 4mm screw. No screw on the aft hole anymore. It works well enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought this form China...... almost the same as stock except $39.59

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323726525655

I got one of these as well. Pretty quick shipping, even from overseas. It is 'really' close to the OEM one. A very slight difference in shape at the front end and less padding on top than the stock one I have on the drivers side. I had some aluminum sheet stock scrap that will work as a test piece and if it fails then I will make one out of steel.

Attached are some clear photos of the side of the passenger seat with the frame exposed. No OEM armrest mount. This is as simple as using your finger to fish the end of the zipper out from the bottom of the seat back, it is just tucked up by the frame pivot.

With the foam just pushed forward to expose the frame and side support hoop.

These are the holes made or enlarged in the frame to attach the bracket to. I drilled the 2 6mm holes and mounted the bracket with those, then drilled the 8mm through the bracket and frame all at once to make alignment simple.

Here is the bracket. I used cardboard to make a template from the drivers side mount so they would at least be close to the same position. A finish nail through the cardboard to align the existing 4mm holes and then flop the template over for the passenger side. Using the Aluminum allowed me to cut this with a jigsaw and metal blade without issue. If it does bend in time I will just use it as the template to make one from steel. If doing again I would drill the 8mm hole slightly higher and back a bit. I didn't tap anything, I just used nylock nuts on the back side from the start. It did require assistance from my wife when mounting the actual armrest. I needed another set of hands to hold the armrest in the correct spot while I got the allen bolts started and a finger shoved behind the cardboard and seat foam holding the nuts and open end wrench in place.

Thanks to all the others who have put in their two cents on this simple upgrade. I still can't believe they don't just weld that sill tab on all the frames they make. Now they have to worry about 4 sets of product codes instead of just two.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ordered this 11/5 from ebay and it arrived 11/16 from SHANGHAI

I drilled out different holes then Drives2little but it mounted about the same. I did not use a metal bracket, I just stuck 2 bolts from inside the seat frame pointing out and attached the nuts to the outside. Took about 15 minutes total.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Here is another way to mount the armrest

·
Registered
539 Posts
I hardly ever use my armrest....but if I needed one for passenger side I think back to when high end beach chairs were made with wooden rests....a nice black walnut arm rest would be nice and maybe I would do matching drivers.....but I guess buying one from China is easier

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Have tried using the drivers side armrest a few times and find I don't much care for it. Passengers rarely if ever use the other one. The armrests also get in the way of not only putting on the seat-belt but going back and forth between the cab and cargo areas, which I do a lot.

Took the passenger armrest off today to see what's under it and found a depression with a 1/2 inch x 3-4 inch rectangle of fabric missing. Think I'm going to remove them permanently but first find something to use as a cover to hide the scars. It would really open that space up for me and since I already have the mounting bolts, I'd have enough room there to put a bracket on one side to hold an umbrella, walking stick, cane, shillelagh, whatever.

·
Premium Member
7,305 Posts
We recently removed ours from the passenger seat too for the reasons you mention. The “scar” on ours is not very noticeable just a 2 inch slot. No we don’t want to sell ours, it’s a trial.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Not a bad idea to run a trial, think I'll take them both off tomorrow and see how it goes. I do have a piece of tough but flexible black plastic (not shiny) that I could cut into rectangles to cover those slots, then just drill a couple holes in them for the mounting screws. Like the stock metal grid I recently took off the inside of my slider window, I wouldn't sell the armrests either since the next owner might want them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So I took both armrests off and the cut in the fabric is right at 3 inches long. Didn't like the look of the plastic I had on hand so made covers out of leftover hardboard, screwed them on and walked through the wider opening a couple times. What a difference - I don't expect to be reinstalling the armrests any time soon. I'll take the hardboard covers off and paint them black later today once it warms up.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts