Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I unfortunately broke the right rear cargo door glass out of my PM during a camping trip on Friday, 7-8-16. I was very lucky that there wasn't any sheet metal damage, only the broken glass. I returned home and called our local glass shop on Monday to schedule the replacement. My PM has rear defrost, and I requested that they use Mopar glass. I want the color to exactly match the other window next to it. I also didn't want any future warranty issues if non-Mopar parts are used with the defroster system. It took a few days to get the insurance claim authorized. The glass shop ordered the window from our local Chrysler dealer. They said it would take approximately 3-4 days to get the glass. After about a week, I asked them to check on the part status and they said it was still in transit. Now they checked on it again and said they don't know what happened to the shipment, it may have been damaged. They say that Chrysler is showing all zero counts for the part and it may be backordered until sometime in September. I don't understand how this can still be happening. After several years of production, parts inventory should be better than this by far.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I broke mine tonight. The 40+ mph wind caught it and slammed it against a wall. Hopefully they're not too expensive.

·
Super Moderator
10,141 Posts
Unfortunately, Pete never got back to us which how this was resolved. If you're still out there Pete how did it all work out for you?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I just called the place where I get my windshields replaced, which is the fastest and cheapest place I've found for windshields, but they always do a good job. I've never paid more than $200 for a windshield. I was expecting about $50 for this rear window based on the side windows I've had replaced in the past. They quoted me $324 for the back window, with no tint and no heating. Ouch. And they said that there aren't any of those windows in the state and that they'd have to order it from Texas. Usually they can have a windshield there within an hour.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I guess I got lucky. Just got our 2017 Promaster 159" window van last Tuesday. Had to go 170 miles to get it. On the way home met a semi who threw a rock up from the gravel on the road and hit the driver door vent window. Went into a thousand pieces but held together with just a half inch hole. Going down the road though meeting more big rigs the buffeting shook loose more of the glass. Fortunately it wasn't real cold, around 40F. Anyway, back to parts. Checked the glass shops and it would take 14 days to get out of AZ. Checked the local Ram dealer, who doesn't sell the PM, and he might get it by the following Monday. Sure enough, it came in yesterday, four days after I ordered it. Price was better than I expected at $127. Glass shop is charging $100 for the install.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I wonder what year Pete’s van is. The 2014 vans have a much lighter tint than the 2015’s and later. Perhaps those windows are not stocked due to the small number of them needed. The van is selling much better now so glass for the ’15’s and up must be in much higher demand. Safelite did my windshield for $400 and had it in stock locally. Back windows?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts