Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So almost ready to order. This will be for personal use only so trying to keep the wife happy and have it not look too utilitarian.

Anyway, I'm thinking the 118wb low roof with glass in rear doors, glass in passenger side door and adding the drivers side door with glass also. What I'm struggling with now is do I order the factory partition (which I like) or do I insulate and panel the rear sides, floor and ceiling?

With the partition the cab will feel "small" but the HVAC will be able to keep up.

Without the partition the whole van will be open and feel airy but I'm not too sure how the HVAC will handle the larger space.

I'm ordering the three seat option so a walk through doesn't apply.

As far as cost goes it'll be pretty well a wash, if I up fit the rear the Dodge rebate will cover some of it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
886 Posts
For personal use, I think you have to go with a partition. Have you considered moving the factory partition back a little. Unbolt, add wood spacers?

It's something I thought about. But I'm still dreaming. Haven't bought yet.

·
Registered
180 Posts
For personal use, I think you have to go with a partition. Have you considered moving the factory partition back a little. Unbolt, add wood spacers?

I'm wondering if the spacer kits for aftermarket partitions will accommodate the factory version.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a feeling even the factory partition would would able to be repositioned with spaces and brackets, can't be that hard.

·
Registered
166 Posts
well depends on what you want to use it for...

but you're right the partition will have yo nice and cozy up front :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems such a waste having all those big windows in the back and only having the little window in the partition to look through.

Maybe the side windows are overkill!

I'm used to my reg cab pickup truck with the big window right behind me

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
.......cut.......

With the partition the cab will feel "small" but the HVAC will be able to keep up.

Without the partition the whole van will be open and feel airy but I'm not too sure how the HVAC will handle the larger space.

I'm ordering the three seat option so a walk through doesn't apply.

.......cut.......
Unless I knew the HVAC wasn't going to keep up, I would personally never get a partition for personal use. I value the "open" and spacious feel of vans. I also have to admit the pass-through between front seats is mandatory for me. That's what I like best about my present Ford Econoline or Honda Odyssey. If I could squeeze between three seats then it would be OK, but having to get out to move to back is a deal breaker for me.

By the way, on my vans AC keep up fine even when rear AC is off. On Ford Class C motor homes I've owned and rented the AC kept up fine too even to keep passengers in back comfortable. If ProMaster AC can't keep up with open cab I'd consider that a design flaw.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Moving Factory Partition

Talked to upfitters and the factory partition cannot be moved back. loses its structural integrity when not attached.
Unless you are short your knees are up against the dash.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
wouldn't that just make it like a promaster with no partition?
Yes, but they probably mean that if spacers are added to move the partition back, then the partition would not be as strong at preventing a load from shifting forward; which is their primary purpose. If partition is only there to reduce HVAC loads or for privacy, then structural integrity shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Nah, they just meant the partition is so flimsy, it needs to be fully supported 100% around the perimeter flange.

So moving it back, is way too tricky.

·
Registered
22 Posts
P.S. -- I like the extra windows on back and side.
Unless I understood it wrong you can't get windows on the sides in the back unles you get a passenger van. The cargo van has options for rear door windows and sliding doors (left and right side) windows only.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Unless I understood it wrong you can't get windows on the sides in the back unles you get a passenger van. The cargo van has options for rear door windows and sliding doors (left and right side) windows only.
That's my understanding as well. He mentioned adding a driver-side sliding door, and all doors with glass. And as I mentioned, I like his idea for the extra windows, particularly on smaller van to make it feel larger.

For me personally the sliding-door windows would not work as well because I'm interested in the PM for a camper; and factory rear glass can't be opened. Adding an RV window with screen makes more sense for my needs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just wanted to mention that we have the perfect option for insulating the rear of he vehicle which would make having the partition not really that necessary as the vehicle temperature will be much more easily moderated.

Our CompleteKits cover floors, walls, ceiling completely and give a clean simple finished look that is perfect for your personal use.

Our liner is very clean looking, so you can avoid the "industrial" look of some liners out there.

I have attached some pics (although these are not ProMaster), they should give you an idea of what our product looks like.

Please take a look at www.legendfleet.com and call me at 866-223-2256 to discuss.

Regards

Kyle Carpani
Legend Fleet Solutions
Sales Manager

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts