Ram Promaster Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT Camper Conversion in CT (TX for now due to Covid)
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
@jracca

Maybe you mentioned this but I skimmed the posts and didn't see it. What size inverter did you use to power your AC?

Thanks
Way more than needed, I used a 3000 VA Victron with a 600AH LiFePO4 battery bank. The AC only draws 40-50 amps , 500-600watts. A 1500-2000 watt inverter should be sufficient for my unit as long as it has the surge capacity to start it. I got the inverter for the 120 amp charging capacity and other features
more than the size of the inverter.

·
Registered
2021, Promaster 159 HR 2500, Silver
120 Posts
@jracca

Thank you for the answer. Is there a downside to oversizing the inverter? Does it use considerably more power to run a 3000w inverter over a 2000w??

I really appreciate your expertise!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
No, it really doesn't take any more power (not enough to matter). The only time that a large inverter really draws more is when it is on but not providing power. I turn mine off in these circumstances because the vast majority of my loads are all DC. I got a bigger one so I would not have to worry about running multiple things at once. I can have everything on at once with no issue (microwave, water heater, AC). That said it mostly gets turned on to run the AC or microwave. I like having the capabilities it has, but I don't use them all that often.

The downsides are the cost, size, and weight. In a van these things are all important, but I enough money, room, and weight capacity to handle it.

I do take these things seriously and weight was one of the reasons I went with lithium batteries. An AGM bank that I would feel good drawing 500 AH out of would weight more than 3 times what mine weigh.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I am almost through my mostly 'beautification' upgrades. I put in the floor today. I used vinyl planks, they have a built in thin foam back but I decided to use an underlay (pergo gold, R value about 0.5) even though it is not necessary. I already have the factory floor, then the 1/2 xps, then 3/8 plywood, now underlay and vinyl plank. A lot of layers.

I still have some trim to deal with but this is the last interior upgrade. When originally built I was short on time and everything we bare wood, almost nothing even painted. Now almost everything is painted, floored, or upholstered.

I still need to reattach the grey water drain (dropped the grey water to install the L track, turned out I did not need to move the tank... argh).

After that I am going to cut off all the extra wire length I left to be able to change things and crimp and heat shrink new terminals. The wires I installed turned out to be pretty much exactly what I needed and I ended up keeping everything where expected, so I will shorten up everything and make it look neater.

After that a few upgrades
1. the rear vent for the AC heat is not up to the task in very hot weather, so I have to open the rear doors if I need to run the AC for more than 3-4 hours in very hot weather, which defeats the purpose of stealth air conditioning. I have a maxxair mini plus, but will replace it with a Maxxair 7000.
2. Door panels for the slider and rear doors.
3. Screen door for the slider opening, notice it is framed square, intentionally to make a retractable screen easier
4. Folding jump seat. This will install in the pictured L track using unwin lockers, I already have a folding center seat with integral seat belt from a late model pickup. I don't know how often I will use this, but I am going to build it.

It looks like I will be moving this back to Connecticut and putting it back into service in August, so plenty of time to use it a little this summer and make the upgrades. When I bring it back to Connecticut it will be without all the build tools I carried around the last time it was in service. (Although normal repair and maintenance tools are always carried)

41 - 44 of 44 Posts