Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After tons of searching I can't find out exactly what the ParkSense system actually does.....is it only an audible beeping from the rear for proximity to objects? Or are there any visual indicators on the dash also? The RAM website is awful.

I am looking for a new Promaster now and I'm searching for a good deal off the lot, so I am wondering how important this feature is, especially given that the backup camera is standard. It is hard to get all of the options a person wants off the lot.

And are there aftermarket solutions that have the same function? I live in a dense urban area so I will be parallel parking a lot. Would an aftermarket system be better?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
441 Posts
As far as I know, it only beeps. Between the nice double-section side mirrors, the built-in backup camera, the full-time rear view mirror backup camera / dashcam we added, and the backup assist I feel pretty confident backing up.

The only time it is a choice is when you are buying new, and I would definitely go for it. Get the factory swivel seats while you are at it if you have the opportunity.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a Promaster City with Park Sense, so you can multiply my response on your larger vehicle. I rely on the park sense as reassurance that I won't hit something, and find it very valuable, especially at night and in unfamiliar circumstances like backing near boulders in a campground, curbs in a parking lot, etc. My biggest complaint is that I forget I don't have it on my pickup, so I have to consciously remind myself it's not there when backing other vehicles. I would go out of my way to get it. It consists of sensors on your bumper and beeps faster when you get closer to an object. It does beep when I back out of my garage as I pass the door opening, but no problem with your van - it won't fit in most garages. 😉

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
392 Posts
Bet it costs less than your insurance deductable.
I back into my home parking spot and I can tell by the beebs exactly how close I am to my garage doors.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes, it just beeps - there is no visual indication. If you have the factory trailer lighting control module, it can be interfaced with that to automatically disable itself when it detects that a trailer's lights are connected, so it won't freak out over the trailer.
Like any other automated safety system, it is not a replacement for the driver - check your mirrors, check your backup camera, and check them again!

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you have a bike rack or something like that in the hitch it just beeps relentlessly rendering it useless. If you plan on using your hitch, don't get it. You can turn the system off so you don't have to hear it (at least on the 2020 you can).

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
392 Posts
I put a rail type motorcycle rack with a dirt bike on it. No beep. It seemed to sense it and shut it off. The face of the rail is almost dead even with the bumper and about 18" away.
Just this past March I drove with the rack on loaded up from Oregon to Baja and back. Saw rain, snow, sun and the moon. No beep.
2017 2500 159

·
Registered
293 Posts
IMO it's by far the WORST part of the Promaster! (n) Mine beeps relentlessly when backing up a trailer and makes it difficult to concentrate or hear directions if someone is backing you into a tight spot.

The dealership was unable to get mine to work properly when I took it in for service so I followed some threads on here and tried disabling it myself, but ended up just frying the module which is located in the rear passenger's side pillar. Now the Parksense is finally dead (Yippee!), BUT there was a constant warning on the dash and the odometer blinked. I have a new module put in, but still need to get it flashed at another dealership because the odometer still blinks. Hopefully they can fix it and end the senseless beeping!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I just bought a new Promaster that has the Parksense so I'll see how things go. Thanks for all the help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts