Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone that regularly tows have the Parksense rear backup system? If so, is that system defeated when a trailer is connected or does it constantly beep when backing a trailer because it detects the trailer as an object?

·
Registered
2014 3500ext Gas - VA
252 Posts
Excellent question. The manual indicates the Parksense is temporarily disabled when a trailer is connected... I assume that feature only works if you have the factory hitch.

I added a Curt hitch to my 3500 with Parksense. I recently built a kayak carrier that plugs into the hitch... unfortunately the kayaks are close enough that the Parksense displays an error message and disables itself (no beeping when backing)... but the warning light stays lit and the "check Parksense" message displays on start up. Disconnecting the blocked sensors did not clear the error. Trying to manually clear the warning (depress gas pedal 3x with ignition in "on") didn't work either. System automatically reset once I removed the kayaks and drove for a couple of minutes.

Good luck finding specific info on Parksense... I've been coming up dry and the manual only refers you to a dealer.
Best,
Phranc

·
Registered
810 Posts
Excellent question. The manual indicates the Parksense is temporarily disabled when a trailer is connected... I assume that feature only works if you have the factory hitch.

I added a Curt hitch to my 3500 with Parksense. I recently built a kayak carrier that plugs into the hitch... unfortunately the kayaks are close enough that the Parksense displays an error message and disables itself (no beeping when backing)... but the warning light stays lit and the "check Parksense" message displays on start up. Disconnecting the blocked sensors did not clear the error. Trying to manually clear the warning (depress gas pedal 3x with ignition in "on") didn't work either. System automatically reset once I removed the kayaks and drove for a couple of minutes.

Good luck finding specific info on Parksense... I've been coming up dry and the manual only refers you to a dealer.
Best,
Phranc
When you manually depressed the gas pedal three times with the key on the on position, you probably also reset your oil change mileage.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,689 Posts
... I recently built a kayak carrier that plugs into the hitch... unfortunately the kayaks are close enough that the Parksense displays an error message and disables itself (no beeping when backing)... but the warning light stays lit and the "check Parksense" message displays on start up.
Best,
Phranc
Simple solution: drill a few holes in the kayaks that line up with the sensors... simple, yet elegant!

Sorry, I couldn't resist!>:D From reading the other threads, this is only an issue when in reverse, right? I would be surprised if there is a switch in the hitch to sense a hitch "plugged into" the hitch receiver.

·
Registered
810 Posts
...... I recently built a kayak carrier that plugs into the hitch... unfortunately the kayaks are close enough that the Parksense displays an error message and disables itself (no beeping when backing)...
I would like to see pictures of the homemade kayak carrier and how the kayaks are carried..
thank you

·
Registered
167 Posts
As noted in a different thread, I had the factory hitch and wiring installed by my dealer. They did a few things wrong on the job and it beeped in reverse when the trailer was there. After a few more hours on the second try they got it right...

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
The hitch shouldn't matter but the disable will probably only work with some wiring harnesses, not the Curt, but yes for the the factory harness.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,689 Posts
I'll betcha that "the computer" reads a load on one of the light wires going to the trailer and uses that info to disable the Parksense. That would be consistent with some of the other CANBUS stuff on the van. I wonder if the dealer has to activate the trailer wiring if added later.

Like the foglights, you can hook 'em to the harness, put in the dash switch, but without a change to "the computer", they're not gonna work. It's possible this is another dealer activated ($) function.

Ed

·
Registered
2014 3500ext Gas - VA
252 Posts
Looks like Ed is correct... I found the attached (albeit for Ram Trucks) while searching the web for ways to temporarily disable select ParkSense sensors...
Best,
Frank

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,689 Posts
Looks like Ed is correct... I found the attached (albeit for Ram Trucks) while searching the web for ways to temporarily disable select ParkSense sensors...
Best,
Frank
It seems like that is how the dealer enables or disables Parksense in "the computer". It doesn't speak to "disabling when a trailer is used".

Then again, if "the computer" is Parksense-aware and also light-bulb-load-aware, there's a good chance that it could be configured to disable-when-trailering.

But, if that's the case, for you it would be no help because even though you're using the hitch, your not attaching trailer lighting to transport the kayaks! Perhaps if the computer DOES control the Parksense, you could plug a light bulb into the trailer wiring to fake it into thinking a trailer was attached!

Don'tcha just love an new vehicle and the lack of info available?

Ed

·
Registered
174 Posts
Interesting that they dont have a simple disable option. A friend has a transit connect and I asked him if his always beeps, nope! There is a manual disable option in their control system. Makes me wonder what the people at FCA were doing when designing these things.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,689 Posts
Interesting that they dont have a simple disable option. A friend has a transit connect and I asked him if his always beeps, nope! There is a manual disable option in their control system. Makes me wonder what the people at FCA were doing when designing these things.
Makes me wonder if one of the wires going to the Parksense system is a 12V feed. If so, perhaps a spst switch located at the back corner of the van could be turned off to disconnect the 12V feed to the system..... errors? maybe...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Makes me wonder if one of the wires going to the Parksense system is a 12V feed. If so, perhaps a spst switch located at the back corner of the van could be turned off to disconnect the 12V feed to the system..... errors? maybe...
Well, seems simple! However, knowing the other issues of removing something from the Canbus system, it would probably throw the "rear sensor error" that I get now. I have a rear rack that causes mine to beep and after a while it throws the error on the info system.

I am going to see my dealer soon and I will ask them about the reprogramming for tow package.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm planning to use a carrier on the back of my PM. I'm thinking if the electronics want to sense a trailer to not have an issue, I will add lights to the carrier and plug them in just like the trailer would. I'm hoping that will not give me the errors and beeping when using a carrier. dc.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It doesn't work on mine. I just bought a utility trailer from Tractor Supply. I've only had it hooked up once, but the dang thing beeped like crazy when backing up. This trailer using the standard 4 pin wiring harness.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had a problem with parksense detecting my bike rack. Solved by sticking 1" diameter pieces of foam weatherstripping to the sensors on the bumper. The foam absorbs the ultrasonic emission and blinds the parksense system. I just peel the foam off when I remove the bike rack to enable normal operation.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts