Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I have been looking at the chinese heaters and I have a few questions. Can I buy anyone off of ebay? Is there a difference between the 2KW or 5KW one? Also can I plug any of them directly to the Gasoline tank?

·
Registered
420 Posts
There is a lot to those heaters. Install could take many hours. Read the fleabay ad carefully.
There are newer versions of the electronic controls, not all are compatible.
I bought 2, one upright the other without the metal case. Power use is up to 10 amps at startup and shut down, good luck.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,073 Posts
Saw this on the Sprinter forum. The author generally knows his stuff.

“The chinese espar clones work fine, they are not a fire hazard with proper install. They won't last as long as the espar models though. Also note that the glow plugs are somewhat unreliable (at least they were a few years ago). Having spare glow plug screens, and possible a espar glow plug (they should fit) on hand is advisable. Note they you need somewhat unique tools to remove the glow plug, so evaluate when its one the bench, and carry them with you.”

·
Super Moderator
9,452 Posts
Hey All,

I have been looking at the chinese heaters and I have a few questions. Can I buy anyone off of ebay? Is there a difference between the 2KW or 5KW one? Also can I plug any of them directly to the Gasoline tank?
Anyone can buy them. They are diesel, NOT gas in spite of the listings.

·
Super Moderator
9,452 Posts
There is a lot to those heaters. Install could take many hours. Read the fleabay ad carefully.
There are newer versions of the electronic controls, not all are compatible.
I bought 2, one upright the other without the metal case. Power use is up to 10 amps at startup and shut down, good luck.
Shouldn’t take more than 3 or 4 hours max (at least that’s all mine took). Quite simple actually drill hole in floor, connect muffler & air intake underneath van, plug in the power connectors, add power and fuel source, get warm.

·
Registered
2018 3500 Ext
161 Posts
Yeah, that Aussie, John McK is good... said the gas model wasn't.... just a diesel... plugged up on gasoline... he said the Webasto gas model has a different combustion chamber... and for some reason, lack of gas type sales?.... the chinese haven't made a copy of it... the Webasto that is.... don't know why not... as the Webasto is about $750 or $800 more... It seems that all of them are made in one factory like the lithium batteries.. and then sent out for resellers to sell to the public... like Alibaba vs AlibabExpress.. or whatever it is... so many resellers... lots of competition.... just none for the gas version.... the factory making the diesel's hasn't made another production line for the gas version... yet.
Not sure the Webasto is worth the ease of using the van's main gas tank... would be nice, though, right? Isn't that what MsNomer did? I saw their build site... haven't made up my mind yet...

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,073 Posts
Yes, our gas Webasto Works great. Having driven diesel cars for 30 years, I wanted nothing to do with the nastiness of diesel for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
112 Posts
This guy has been having some trouble with his chinese diesel heater. Here's his first troubleshooting video, where he replaced the screen around the glow plug. It is not the most complicated repair but the screen is delicate and the tool he has didn't work to take it out. It looks like he probably needs to either clean the glow plug or get a new one, which someone mentioned up thread here as a common problem:

Also, people are always recommending that you run these things on kerosene (K1) because it burns cleaner than diesel. Has anyone here ever tried that?

·
Super Moderator
9,452 Posts
I read just the opposite on running K1 over #2. I can’t remember the details unfortunately. I’ve used K1, #2 & diesel with no noticeable difference other than #2 tends to jell up

·
Premium Member
8,777 Posts
There was speculation that running the dosing pump on K1 might lead to it’s early demise due to less lubrication than with #2. I don’t recall a confirmation.

Reactions: wnybiker

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
We've been running ours on kerosene from the beginning (not long yet). There are differences of opinion about kerosene. It burns cleaner with potentially less soot build up, BUT some claim it lacks lubrication for the fuel pump causing it to fail prematurely. All those claims seem to trace back to John MacK's video on kerosene. He tried it once and the pump failed immediately. BUT, many others have been running pure kerosene much longer with success. I found no other direct evidence of pump failures, just a lot of people referencing that video. John MacK's videos are GREAT, but maybe he just had a bad pump. There is also debate around whether that particular type of pump actually needs lubricating fuel. I carry a spare pump just in case.

However, I am finding the real downside to kerosene is availability and cost. It's much harder to find than diesel. There are far fewer bulk distributors. You can buy gallon jugs at many hardware and sporting goods stores, but the cost is ridiculous. Right now in Canada, diesel is around $1/ltr (~$4/gal) at the pump, while a gallon jug of kerosene is $14. I don't expect to be burning kerosene much longer. BTW, diesel is winterized in northern climes, but you can also buy additives to prevent winter gelling.

·
Super Moderator
9,452 Posts
I think diesel’s probably the best bet actually. It’s blended for the climate (and not red)😏

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I think diesel’s probably the best bet actually. It’s blended for the climate (and not red)😏
It looks that way to me too. BTW, kerosene doesn't gel. Some folks add it to their diesel in the winter to prevent gelling. By red, do you mean marked diesel (no road tax)? What's wrong with that? 10 million farmers and boaters can't be wrong, right? ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,452 Posts
I’d show you the bottom of my 20L tank after having #2 red in it all winter but I had to power wash it out🤪

I use it in my Kubota all winter long to plow my driveway not to mention heat my house tho with no problems.

‘’’You’re correct about K1 tho it doesn’t gel and a lot of guys add it to #2 in the winter to prevent gelling.

·
Premium Member
8,777 Posts
I have heated with #2 but not now. It is dyed red. If KOV wasn’t so cheap he could spend 30¢ per gallon more and buy clear like we use in the van. Come to think about it he is throwing money at that K1 though isn’t he??

1 - 20 of 101 Posts