Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today my parking brake seems to be stuck on. The tempeture took a nosedive today and after unloading my van the parking brakes seems to be stuck. When I got home the aroma of hot brake pads filled the air and my mileage went from 19 mpg to 12.1. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you released the handle already, you should have generated enough heat to thaw a frozen shoe. I have dumped hot water on stuck brake drums before.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
No drums on the PM.
Try giving the cable underneath a wack and spray with wd40 or something.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took it to the dealer today and they freed the parking brake but told me not to use it. They said it would be $529 for parts and labor to repair!! I told them it should be covered under warranty and they said all brake components are only covered fro 12,000 miles. This is really irritating. Why is it my fault the parking brake stuck? I think there is a design flaw...

·
Super Moderator
9,044 Posts
I gave up ever getting my emergency brake to work on my Sprinter. I would take it all apart (no easy job) and clean and grease it so it would pass state inspection and within a few weeks it was junk again. I finally gave up after several years and never having them check it anyhow.

The Promasters design seems a bit better than the Sprinter but I never even think to use it. Of course if I lived in San Francisco I might but then it probably wouldn't rust out either!

Don't use it!

·
Registered
444 Posts
I took it to the dealer today and they freed the parking brake but told me not to use it. They said it would be $529 for parts and labor to repair!! I told them it should be covered under warranty and they said all brake components are only covered fro 12,000 miles. This is really irritating. Why is it my fault the parking brake stuck? I think there is a design flaw...
That stinks, if it isn't pads they should warranty it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update. Chrysler replaced the parking brake system yesterday and all seemed to work fine...until this morning when I tried to go to work and the parking brake wouldn't release again. I can't believe I am the only person with this problem. They've been selling this van in cold climates in Europe for 7 years. I should mention its 13 degrees this morning but I've never had a parking brake not release before.

Chrysler has been good to deal with but I'm disappointed and losing money not being able to work!

Right now I'm on the side of the road waiting for the dealership to call me back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you using too much force to set the brake?

After you release the parking brake; is there no tension on the cable when you move it up and down?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Try rocking the vehicle back and forth by putting it in reverse, then forward. Reverse should pop it loose.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you using too much force to set the brake?

After you release the parking brake; is there no tension on the cable when you move it up and down?
No, the parking brake was brand new and I only pulled it up 4 clicks.

No, there was not any tension in the handbrake. I did try and back up but it didn't help. The dealer kept the van overnight to recreate the issue this morning.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I picked my van up this morning as the dealership says it worked fine for them. Follow my son to drop off my wife's car to her and the few minutes that I had the parking brake applied there caused it to drag again! Drove straight back to the dealership. They are taking it apart now. I can hear the pads dragging and clicking when they drove it in the shop.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
I would like to read more often: "Had a problem, went to the dealer, they quickly fixed it, everything is fine now".

Anyways, 30 Once, hope they get your brakes fixed right this time. I know how it can be frustrating, specially for you, with that working time lost.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I took it to the dealer today and they freed the parking brake but told me not to use it. They said it would be $529 for parts and labor to repair!! I told them it should be covered under warranty and they said all brake components are only covered fro 12,000 miles.
I would ask the dealer to show you where that is stated in writing.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Ounce, that service advisor isnt very bright! Common sense would would make him realize that Chrysler would warranty this issue, it isnt standard brake use wear but rather an unusual failure!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys.

Chrysler took care of it immediately. I called them direct and they called the dealer within minutes I bet because I got a call shortly after from the dealer stating that Chrysler said to fix my parking brake at no cost.

After I returned yesterday they readjusted the parking brake and it seems to be working properly now. It would only need 4 clicks to hold after they replaced everything and after they adjusted it its about 10-15 clicks.

I checked on some of the UK Ducato websites about parking brake issues and from what I could find out they are a bit tricky to adjust. Apparently there is an adjustment at the caliper and adjustment at the cable ends. The caliper must be properly adjusted first and then the cable ends. I don't know if that has anything to do with the original non releasing issue but it might have yesterday.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Arrrg!! It has been working fine for the past 2 days and this morning it is not releasing again! Called the dealer, they wanted to send a tow truck out. I told them by the time the tow truck got here it would possibly be thawed (if that's the problem) and suggested they send a mechanic out to me. To my surprise they agreed. Hopefully he can figure it out...

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
.....cut.....

I checked on some of the UK Ducato websites about parking brake issues and from what I could find out they are a bit tricky to adjust. Apparently there is an adjustment at the caliper and adjustment at the cable ends. The caliper must be properly adjusted first and then the cable ends. I don't know if that has anything to do with the original non releasing issue but it might have yesterday.
Are they the same brakes as Ducato's?

I seem to recall reading before the ProMaster even hit the lots that RAM had upgraded suspension and brakes for US market. There was reference of Brembo brakes being used.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts