Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Starting on my build 1.0. I am going to start installing thinsulate on the walls and ceiling very soon. The 2017 PM van I bought was used for 6 months as a cargo hauler. There are some scraps and scratches on the walls. I don't see any sign of rust. I think these are galvanized? Just wondering if I should touch up the walls with paint before I glue the insulation in?

Should I do the same for the floor? I have a the BedRug flooring. Not sure what I am going to do with this long term but I sure there will be some moisture under it from time to time. Should I be concerned about this with bare area of metal?

Thx

·
Registered
83 Posts
For the price of a quart of tremclad paint and the little bit of time it takes I would do it. I painted any bare metal walls,floor and ceiling from cutting,drilling or scrapes from moving stuff. I figure it is better to do all you can to help the interior long term.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'm in much the same situation, and I've decided to paint. Not sure what to use just yet.

I'd like to know what other folks have used for this. I know some people have used various rust inhibitors and galvanized paints, but most of these don't come in white so I might have to use multiple products.

I'm patiently waiting for my windows to show up first, so I have some time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the price of a quart of tremclad paint and the little bit of time it takes I would do it. I painted any bare metal walls,floor and ceiling from cutting,drilling or scrapes from moving stuff. I figure it is better to do all you can to help the interior long term.
Thx for the advice. Found out that this paint is only available in Canada. In the US Rustoleum tech support stated to use Latex Stops Rust or Professional High Performance paint. Both Rustoleum products. He said you need a primer for galvanized metal but you do not have to put a top coat on it if you don't want to. You will get the same protection without the top coat.

Interesting that talking to Canada tech support said that the oil based Tremclad paint is the way to go and the US tech support stated that you want to only use latex on galvanized metal. :eek:

·
Registered
808 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,079 Posts
Hi,
You might also consider something like LPS 3 rust prevention coating.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/LPS-Premier-Rust-Inhibitor-Aerosol/dp/B01N3RZI0J/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508530454&sr=8-2&keywords=lps+3[/ame]

When I left Boeing, they were using it extensively on the 737 fuselage -- probably a pretty good endorsement.
It would be quick to go on with the spray cans -- it would be easy to get in all the nooks and crannies.
It does leave a sort of waxy surface, so probably not good for areas where you might want to paint over it or adhere to other things to it.

Because Thinsulate is highly permeable to water vapor, you will get condensation on the van skin when its cold, so a little extra protection is probably not a bad idea.

Gary

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wow I did not look that deeply into this subject I just went down to my local home depot and grabbed black paint to cover up any bare metal. Dam now I want to rip everything out and start over. :)

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Don’t overthink it now. A rattle can of paint will suffice. As we used to say in the building business- “It ain’t no Piano” Move on.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I see. Another religious subject like sound deadening, insulation choice, awning vs sliding windows, FLA vs AGM batteries etc.

When the only ones posting about paint choice are anti-rust zealots tauting the benefits of POR-15 and Waxoxyl and the like, you begin to wonder.

There's always a market for anti polar bear charms I suppose ;)

·
Banned
207 Posts
I will be spray painting bare aluminum with epoxy primer on a home window frame project prior to painting. I wonder if I were to spray that on a painted surface, van wall, if adhesives and/or insulating foam would stick.

The product I will be using on bare aluminum are from Eastwood

EW Epoxy Primer Gray Quart 1:1 50242ZP 1 $21.99
Eastwood Epoxy Primer Catalyst Quart 1:1 50243ZP 1 $17.99

I suppose when I paint these bare aluminum frames I could also do a painted metal test subject and check for adhesiveness.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Went to Menard's and found this. So this is what I plan on using. No top coat.

Do you have any updates on this project? I'm in the same situation. Scuffs and scratches no rust. About to drop the floor in. What did you use to clean the surface prior to painting and did you do more than one coat? Thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have any updates on this project? I'm in the same situation. Scuffs and scratches no rust. About to drop the floor in. What did you use to clean the surface prior to painting and did you do more than one coat? Thanks
Painting done on everything except the floor. I have the vanrug covering the floor. I might pull that out later and paint the floor. Not sure yet on what to do there. I figured I would live with this for a while to try it before working on the floor.

For the walls and ceiling, I glued Thinsulate so I wanted to make sure these areas were painted prior to gluing.

I touched up the areas with 2 coats of this paint. Happy with the results except for the non-matching color. Not a big deal on the color as these areas will be covered at some point.

I cleaned the areas with denatured alcohol prior to painting.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,681 Posts
I see. Another religious subject like sound deadening, insulation choice, awning vs sliding windows, FLA vs AGM batteries etc.

When the only ones posting about paint choice are anti-rust zealots tauting the benefits of POR-15 and Waxoxyl and the like, you begin to wonder.

Maybe there's a Sprinter in their past?

·
Registered
86 Posts

You can still get anti polar bear charms??...sign me up :)..oh and do you have any igloo paint for us Canadians?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am using roll on truck bed liner on all metal surfaces such as floor, walls, ribs ect before installing floor and walls. Van was partially insulated by previous owner. It will protect it from scratches, help deaden sound and be my vapor barrier.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts