Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 PM 3500 just threw these codes at me. I got the P219A on 8/25/16. Unfortunately I was out of town and my driver couldn't do anything about it, so I had no choice but to let him run it. I just got home today, 8/29/16, and it threw the P0301. I'm guessing a fuel injector is the culprit. I just hit 250,000 miles and I've pretty much been problem free up til now. Anyone else had this issue yet? If so, just curious cost wise what I'm looking at.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
I searched here and found no results on either code by another poster. You are on the frontier. I don’t know the gas engine but I’d sooner expect a coil for cylinder 1 is failing, assuming the plugs are good. When pulling the coil the plug should come out for inspection so a new plug can be just replaced along with the coil. <$200

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
His problem is in cylinder 1 as a P0301 code is "misfire in cylinder" 1 so I assumed!!?? I know, I know..... Make an A$$ of U and ME!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Headed to the shop now. I'm driving it. It hasn't stalled on me like my driver said it did for him. It is running a bit sluggish and the engine definitely sounds abnormal. We shall have an answer later today I hope.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They had a look at it, ran the codes and came back with the same ones I did. They came to the conclusion that it is the fuel injectors. So while they have it open, I'm having them do all 6 and throw some new plugs in. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Knowing that it's fuel injectors, curious if you use any brand of gas, or do you only use top tier brands?

http://www.toptiergas.com/

I stick to top tier brands only. Where I live, the cheapest top tier deal is BP gas with a BP credit card. I pay about 10 cents below pump price on every other fill up with the at pump instant rebates.

·
Super Moderator
10,225 Posts
I think the reality isn't top tier gas. Gas is gas. I would be more concerned with the age of the stations tanks and the volume they pump. I buy the cheapest gas I can find and have never, ever had a problem with bad gas. But I do choose the quality of the station pumping the gas.

Anyone who believes paying 25¢ a gallon more for gas because it's from a so called top tier supplier is only fooling themselves. But, it's their money and they can blow it anyway they wish, especially if it makes them feel good and gives them one thing less to worry about in life ;)

Just reading the list of so called top tier suppliers is a joke. It includes just about every brand I've ever heard of other than Uncle Bob's Supper Fine Clean fuel from Podunk, Alabama. You would have a very difficult time even finding gas from anyone not on that list. Marketing is a wonderful thing!

Gas typically is delivered in bulk to one termal in most areas from one refinery where it's resold to distributors who sell it to the stations. Sure they love to tell you about all those "clean" additives they are selling you with their special high quality gas but does anyone really believe or trust an oil company to tell you the truth about anything they sell to you? I certainly don't.

Any vehicle with 250k miles on it is going to need injector work, that's life.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Glad it got sorted, but I am surprised it was the injectors. I have driven almost all my recent vehicles more miles than that and never replaced an injector but have replaced a few coil-over-plugs, spark plugs too every 100K. BTW I buy the cheapest gas available even "Uncle Bob's Supper Fine Clean fuel from Podunk, Alabama” and no problem, thats what we have fuel filters for, and I do change them!

·
Super Moderator
10,225 Posts
You're free to believe or not. Those top tier brands run the same or 1 to 2 cents more. Please don't exaggerate

BTW, I'm a retired automotive engineer. There is a difference.
BTW. you're missing the whole point! Anyone would be hard pressed to find a gas brand that isn't on that list and I agree, you can find it for 2 or 3 cents difference or 25 to 45 cents difference - the point is price means absolutely nothing and it would be very difficult to find anything but your so called "Top Tier" gas anywhere. More corporate BS to fool the public and sell a product.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Calm down there buddy. Lots of gas around here is not on that list

Not on the list
Sunoco
BJs
Racetrac
Circle K
Speedway
Cumberland Farms
7-Eleven
Kangaroo
Hess

At least half the stations around me not meeting top tier

No back to my question.

Was any old gas used in the van throwing codes?

·
Super Moderator
10,225 Posts
I know for a fact that Cumberland Farms happens to be the Gulf Oil distributor. Not being on a "pay to play" list is meaningless. Are you actually suggesting Sunoco sells low grade gas?? Get a grip on yourself.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,449 Posts
Sunoco sold all but a half interest in one refinery. Sunoco then sold their pipelines and stations to Energy transfer ( I think )out of Dallas. So Sunoco is not Sunoco but may be Sunoco. This info is a couple of years old and I just might be loco.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
In high school I worked at a small chain local gas station selling gas at 25.9 CENTS a gallon and open all night. We got our gas from the same tanks on the seacoast as about half the “first tier” sellers including many on your list. We sold HUGE volumes of gas, my midnight bank deposit could be over $3000 for a 6 hour shift! We got two trailers of gas dumped into out underground tanks everyday. We were about the first retailers for recycled motor oil and sold it in 2 gallon bottles 6/case. Most of the local gasoline fleet truckers would come in and buy 10 cases as we gave a healthy discount for it in quantity. I decided two things from that experience. Oil that meets the specification of the manufacturer works. Gas from the lowest priced VOLUME station is just the same and ClEANER and FRESHER. 50 years later it is still working for me. No problem in all that time! Ya gotta wonder why you would want to do otherwise.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,449 Posts
The list only means that they do not pay GM a fee. Any station can sell an equal add pack as the TT stations they just can't call it TT. He drives about 10,000 miles a month how do you have old gas. They don't put use by dates on the pump that I know of. What fuel injector maker recommends TT fuels?
Calm down there buddy. Lots of gas around here is not on that list

Not on the list

At least half the stations around me not meeting top tier

No back to my question.

Was any old gas used in the van throwing codes?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry, correction. They were replacing the coils and plugs, not the injectors. But I just got off the phone with them, it's still acting up, so that wasn't the problem. Waiting to hear back from them.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
I think it was foolish to replace ALL the coils as they are not prone to fail and the fact one did does not mean any others will. Oh well it is done. I am at least glad to hear they did the coils as they are cheaper than injectors which all but one probably are ok too. A NOID light can diagnose wheatear the injector on that #1 cylinder is opening and also pulling it and connecting it to a 9 Volt source while the engine is cranking will show a fuel flow pattern. That test is easy and if it is not that nor the coil, you have a bad/stuck valve which can be tested with a compression test which could have been done when replacing the plugs, they did replace the plugs right? You know it is on cylinder 1 so there is no need to screw around with the rest except for the plugs. Good luck, I am happy I don’t do this sort of work any more! (except for myself, a few friends, my Son, Grandchildren, Daughter, Oh what am I thinking!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just an update. They had to open it up and take a look at everything again and they found the camshaft was pretty tore up. Not just a little wear, this thing was destroyed. Really sounds like what happened to some others here:

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37017

They were strongly urging me to get a new engine, but unfortunately I don't have that much set aside for repairs. I'm just going to have them replace the camshaft and rockers and hope I can get enough miles out of it till I save up for an engine. Guess we'll see what happens.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts