Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Promaster is playing Texas holdem with me. CEL light comes on, Evic say's "SEE DEALER, SERVICE DEF, SPEED LIMIT IN 188 MILES". This was not a low def icon or evic warning for low def as I have had for low def in the past. This code is one of 4 for the DEF system. The other three P208A, P208C and P208D. I only had P208B code which is for pressure in the line from tank to injector. If a fault is detected the CEL will light and the def system shuts down immediately. I shut dow and restart and continue the fault is still there speed limit now at 123 miles. I pull into a rest area shut down restart multiple times no change. It's dark, Friday and 22 degree's outside I decide to wait for morning. Here's where the TX holdem comes to play. Do I call the bluff and continue I could be stuck some place where I don't want to be. If I fold and go back to a known place 160 miles i'll have a house and transport untill it's fixed. From the freeze frame line 621, I think my def tank is empty. But I should have had an icon and warning when the tank was down to 1gal. In the morning I call the bluff, put 2gal of def in the tank and drove 1100 more miles to home. Here's a link to my freeze frame of the code.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oVXFo_lx8PJCZU6i7OB5AexD32Wtq6IPxjkw7Lpw5s8/edit?usp=sharing

·
Registered
756 Posts
I got the dreaded SEE DEALER SERVICE DEF message at the last oasis on the Illinois Tollway, 340~ miles from home after restart when refueling.

I got back to my home dealer at 5:00pm exactly, they had a loaner PM waiting, 9AM the next morning they called to come get it...

Know: Speed limiting only kicks in when the engine is shut down or vehicle refueled AFTER the countdown is finished; no drama, just will be 3mph on restart. The countdown is at what point shutting off the motor will guarantee speed limiting on restart, or vehicle goes from zero speed after refueling even if ignition was not turned off (according to book).

Know: They found a DEF wiring harness plug not locked in place at the factory, took 7000 miles for it to back out enough to go open circuit & throw codes.

Once the countdown starts a Dealer reset will be required. You can make one tank of fuel normal driving once the countdown has stopped IF the ignition remains ON the whole time. I don't think you can get 1100 miles on one tank of fuel. I'd be doing the 160-mile to safety w/o hesitation if I were you.

For the rest of diesel owners... If you're handy ~maybe~ crawling under & removing the sheetmetal shield and examining the wiring connections could prevent such a thing.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
It would be good for someone to shoot a picture of that plug just in case. I’ve been 28,000 mi (some rough roads too) so I am thinking mine is plugged in completely. Zoomyn’s issue is a common one in production- something just doesn’t get clicked tight. Fortunately not a failure if the van or its systems, but what a nuisance. KilWerBzz’s is more troubling as sooner or later we all are probably going to rely on that DEF low warning, mine has worked once or twice, as yours has. Once again it may be wiring, grounding or who knows what. Sounds like you got home and made the right choice. You don’t say whether the P208B code ended when the DEF was added? What do you have for miles on that 2014 van now, I didn’t see it in the report?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I added the def and restarted, the CEL and evic were still on. I think the CEL turned off some time in the next 200 miles, but at fuel up they were not present on startup. I could have had "def line freeze up", I made that up, as the temp did rise above freezing on Saturday.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
The thought had occurred to me but I defer to your better knowledge of this system and shouldn’t second guess. If it was, wouldn’t that explain the “no low DEF” light and make one suspicious of whether the DEF heater system is working? Is there any feedback or output info on your computer interface for when that is on?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Faulty def heater/ suction codes are P209F or P20, letter, number. The first thing to check for with code P208B is DEF contamination or degraded fluid. If any other codes are present fix them first. 33,000 miles young.

·
Registered
756 Posts
My understanding was that once the 'SEE DEALER' comment appears it's been locked so only a dealer reset will clear it...

...if* your EVIC nag screen vanished that's the first I've heard & good to know...

I wonder too about the heater(s)... DEF begins to crystallize and freeze at 12°F, the 32.5% urea:water ratio freeze/melt at the same rate so when thawing the fluid will not become diluted or over concentrated. If the DEF has been diluted there should be 'BAD DEF - SEE DEALER' long before some other code is thrown or it gets a chance to freeze...

Also http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2012/docs/cc/defscrfaq.pdf <--- RAM DEF FAQ's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts