Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone received the P0868 Transmission Fluid Pressure Low fault code without any apparent malfunction of the vehicle? If so, what was your experience after? Did it reappear? Was there something wrong? Did a mechanic look at it? My story is below

I have a 2017 Promaster 1500 with the 3.6 L V6 engine. I was driving downhill in the mountains when my check engine light came on with no apparent change in driving functionality. When I pulled off the road and scanned the code it came up as P0868 - Transmission Fluid Pressure Low. I opened the hood and inspected the undercarriage for leaks and found nothing abnormal. The gears were changing normally and everything seemed in working order so I erased the code and started driving again. After going home and about 100 miles of driving the code has not reappeared.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Phil. I didn't know I could check the fluid level without there being a dipstick, but I found the Motor City Mechanic video you posted in another thread and checked it. All good, it has plenty of fluid and while it doesn't look great it doesn't look terrible either, pretty sure it looks nominal for 60k miles. After reading other posts about changing ATF before manufacturer recommendations I'll probably just go ahead and change it early for general purpose. I'm just still wondering what faulted the sensor and if something else is wrong or if it was a one-time glitch. I don't know what else to do except keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks Phil. I didn't know I could check the fluid level without there being a dipstick, but I found the Motor City Mechanic video you posted in another thread and checked it. All good, it has plenty of fluid and while it doesn't look great it doesn't look terrible either, pretty sure it looks nominal for 60k miles. After reading other posts about changing ATF before manufacturer recommendations I'll probably just go ahead and change it early for general purpose. I'm just still wondering what faulted the sensor and if something else is wrong or if it was a one-time glitch. I don't know what else to do except keep an eye on it.
Manual calls for Transmission fluid change at 60k miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tgregg, you're right, Thank you. I just downloaded and read the manual. I bought my van used and it didn't come with a manual. There's conflicting info on the net about this. Some findings have said Ram recommends NEVER changing the fluid and I've also seen change it at 100k.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Most likely it was sloshing fluid uncovering the pickup. If the level is right (2” on a stick hot in neutral) then I’d clear the code and forget about it.
Normally I’d say change the fluid per the manual at 60k, but since we drive so much it just isnt practical. I have a trans with 400,000 miles on the fluid, and no problems. But I wouldnt recommend that to anyone. You can change it every 50 miles and it wont hurt anything, just cost money, so following the book is a good idea. Use ONLY fluid that carries the MS-9602 spec. Walmart sells it. The filter is $12. Use black or grey RTV, though Felpro sells a gasket if you prefer that. Job is messy but easy - maybe 1 hour.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts