Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to know for those of us that have had the PM for at least a year does anybody have any buyers remorse regarding purchasing of van or any particular options?

·
Registered
63 Posts
12 months 16000 miles. 159 2500 Granite crystal metallic. Best color because it is the nearest match to the gaudy plastic trim. Glad I ordered the drivers side slider, use it as much as the drivers door. Alloy wheels really look nice compared to the steel ones. Only option I regret is the Tomtom Navigation, it truly is lame compared to my Garmin Nuvi. I absolutely hate the squeaky brakes. Other than the brakes the only problem is the leaky radiator, still on order 4 weeks. Love the power and handling. All things considered a nearly trouble free first year. I will be ordering another one next year.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've had my 3500 for 11 1/2 months with 4000 km's and still love the van even with it's warts and squealing brakes. It's going into the shop tomorrow for some of the warranty work that has stacked up and I am a little worried about any electrical problems that will probably pop up after the warranty runs out. It may get expensive. At least I've told them about the check air bags and service brake system indicators that have popped up.

There are a couple of things that I've come across which I'll address once the warranty runs out. One of which the passenger door unlocks when I open the drivers door and the other is the folding power mirrors. Nothing like having to keep the ignition on to fold the mirrors in on a busy street and then hoping no buses or trucks go by when I open the door because the mirrors are now closed and I can't see whats coming. I'd like to be able to jump out first and then hit the switch to fold the mirrors.

Overall, the vehicle does everything I want it to do and I've tried several different vehicles over the years. No buyers remorse here.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'm at 8 months, 75,000 miles. Excluding the radiator (replaced under warrany last week, holding fine) and the brake squeal (seems like its diminished, could be im used to it) the van has had zero point zero problems. This is a gas van.

I'm ticked pink. Van consistently gets 21mpg under 62mph, and my lifetime average is in the high 17s. No electrical issues, no wear and tear problems. No exhaust issues or cooling ptoblems. Nice.

If i had it to do over, i would skip the extended and get the 2500. Just for the savings.

FYI the Vancos are about half worn. They perform ok, but when i replace them ill get something else. And i plan on running blizzaks in the winter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im going to go with NO...

So I have had my Promaster since last July and have put 14k miles on it. We use it for work and haul very light weight goods. In that time I have had every one of my door handles fail, I have had to replace the wiring harness, I have had electrical problems, Radiator leak that needs a whole new radiator (and have had the parts on order since January), and my brake system has torn itself apart (also waiting for parts). Parts are nonexistent, and unless I pitch a fit, I dont get them. All of this has equaled downtime for my business, and that is unacceptable.

The question is this... If I am having these problems at less than 15k miles, what am I in for at the 100k mark.

This van is positioned as a FLEET Vehicle, we should be getting 200k out of this with minimal repairs.

The answer to the original question is... No, I am not satisfied and I am extremely underwhelmed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
FYI the Vancos are about half worn. They perform ok, but when i replace them ill get something else. And i plan on running blizzaks in the winter.
Did you get 75k on your original set? Are you still on that set? If so, I think that is amazing. Do you have a strict rotation plan or PSI you run? I would be tickled pink to get 75,000 on mine.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yeah, original set. I'm on my third rotation. Keep in mind that I do 98% highway, though I don't know how much that would affect it. Half the time I'm loaded at around 2000lbs, the rest I'm lightly loaded or deadheading. Tread looks like it's at about 1/2 worn, so I think 100k is in the cards.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
What's the deal with all these single post accounts that are complaints of extraordinary problems?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
You not have all 4 door handles fail? What about the person with 3 engines that failed:eek:!

One year and one month ,still on same engine and have the original door handles!!!
Classic!!!

·
Super Moderator
427 Posts
What's the deal with all these single post accounts that are complaints of extraordinary problems?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
When I saw that I wondered whether the poster was a troll. Anyway, I have put 20k miles on my Promaster in a year. Lived in it while travelling for 4 months after making modifications.

I am very happy with it. Very well engineered. It took some getting used to but now I prefer it to my daily driver.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,375 Posts
As you know, the folks in Kansas have little to do after fall harvest.

·
Super Moderator
8,962 Posts
So I have had my Promaster since last July and have put 14k miles on it. We use it for work and haul very light weight goods. In that time I have had every one of my door handles fail, I have had to replace the wiring harness, I have had electrical problems, Radiator leak that needs a whole new radiator (and have had the parts on order since January), and my brake system has torn itself apart (also waiting for parts). Parts are nonexistent, and unless I pitch a fit, I dont get them. All of this has equaled downtime for my business, and that is unacceptable.

The question is this... If I am having these problems at less than 15k miles, what am I in for at the 100k mark.

This van is positioned as a FLEET Vehicle, we should be getting 200k out of this with minimal repairs.

The answer to the original question is... No, I am not satisfied and I am extremely underwhelmed.
Must have been built on the seis de Mayo?:eek:

·
Super Moderator
726 Posts
14 months of ownership, close to 30,000 km (18,000 miles or so).

Had the squeaking suspension (stopped by itself), still have the squeaking brakes and leaking radiator. I expect a fight to get it replaced.

Good thing I don't use my PM too much in the winter, the high idle really decreases the mpg when driven in the city. Also have that strange ticking when it's cold.

Got all those minor recalls. Nothing dramatic, but it was a hassle getting them done, the dealer never had the parts. Same with the door locks I had to change after I got vandalized. Almost 2 months to get it right.

Phoned Chrysler Canada a couple of times and from what I read, you guys south of the border seams to get a better service than the one got: I really got the feeling that they didn't really care.

I read that some of you got a flawless PM and are happy with the service, Guess I am not part of the lucky ones. But hey, we all payed big bucks, so we should all get the same quality.

Don't feel too secure on the long term durability. On a positive note, I am really glad I didn't get the diesel.

If I had to do it again, I would buy a Ford Transit. Checked on Transit forum and issues seams very rare, considering the amount of Transits out there. Maybe the Transit is not a better vehicle than the PM, but I would bet that Ford has a better quality control than Chrysler.

Anyways, just started another 18,000 road trip, if it all goes well, I may change my perception on the van.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
14 months of ownership, close to 30,000 km (18,000 miles or so).

Had the squeaking suspension (stopped by itself), still have the squeaking brakes and leaking radiator. I expect a fight to get it replaced.

Good thing I don't use my PM too much in the winter, the high idle really decreases the mpg when driven in the city. Also have that strange ticking when it's cold.

Got all those minor recalls. Nothing dramatic, but it was a hassle getting them done, the dealer never had the parts. Same with the door locks I had to change after I got vandalized. Almost 2 months to get it right.

Phoned Chrysler Canada a couple of times and from what I read, you guys south of the border seams to get a better service than the one got: I really got the feeling that they didn't really care.

I read that some of you got a flawless PM and are happy with the service, Guess I am not part of the lucky ones. But hey, we all payed big bucks, so we should all get the same quality.

Don't feel too secure on the long term durability. On a positive note, I am really glad I didn't get the diesel.

If I had to do it again, I would buy a Ford Transit. Checked on Transit forum and issues seams very rare, considering the amount of Transits out there. Maybe the Transit is not a better vehicle than the PM, but I would bet that Ford has a better quality control than Chrysler.

Anyways, just started another 18,000 road trip, if it all goes well, I may change my perception on the van.
Are Transits flawless? If so, dang I should of bought one:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
1 yr @ 48k miles, 159 WB 2500. Very happy over all, use it in the parcel delivery business. The front wheel drive is great in the winter, my previous rwd sprinter could never go where the PM goes when it is empty or lightly loaded. I think I might get 60k on the OEM tires, maybe even 65k. These tires were OEM on my "07" sprinter and they were shot @ 35k so they must have changed the makeup of the rubber compound since then. The brake squeal got better after 10k and now is almost gone. The pads and rotors look great, when it does squeal it is not loud like before. Had my radiator replaced about a month ago after waiting 6 to 8 weeks for the new one. Only used a 1/2 gallon of antifreeze over 40k, you could never see a leak only smell antifreeze outside the truck. The system was pressure tested and they ordered a radiator and hose under warranty. It used a 1/4 gallon in 8k miles since the replacement. Had it in today and a regional rep was in and told the service manager that when replacing the radiator the thermostat must be changed because of issues with the early units. So FYI to those who are still waiting for your radiator replacement, have them switch out the thermostat under warranty too. Time will tell how well the PM holds up, it is unfortunate that there are problems (some major PIA ones) but I must admit that buying a first year new model I knew I was throwing the dice somewhat but the FWD was the deciding factor for me. The truck is not perfect by any means but it serves me well, so far so good.....

·
Registered
399 Posts
...Checked on Transit forum and issues seams very rare, considering the amount of Transits out there…
...I would bet that Ford has a better quality control than Chrysler...
There are about 3 times more Promasters in my town than Transits. Latest JD Power shows Ford made the 10 worst and - more problems than Chrysler and a little better than RAM. I have no inherent trust in Ford. The only thing better about Transit IMO is the transmission and the 3.5 Ecobost.

·
Registered
963 Posts
It's hard to say how good or bad the Transit might be. I suspect they will be just fine. I mean....it's a metal box with wheels on it, just like the PM. Where the achilles heel will be is with the Ecoboost and/or the diesel. I expect the diesel to be similarly problematic as it is in the PM. The Ecoboost is proven in the F150 and a bunch of cars, just like the Pentastar. But when it does need service, it is drastically more complex than the Pentastar, and I think owners will be getting hit with Sprinter sized bills as the years go by.

But otherwise, they are very competitive with each other. The PM is now and probably always will be a touch cheaper.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts