Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. I was drving my family today to a park about an hour from my home, and I realized as I was about to get on the parkway, there was a sign stating that 7'-9" clearance. I have the 136" hight roof! It's about 8-5! Thank god I had enough time to reroute, but I was wondering if there is any database of all low clearance overpasses. Specifically clearances on parkways that are passenger cars only. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hah ... Can't help with that database but I did a timely modification today. My van is about to go on a road trip that will likely involve other people driving it for a bit. I was printing up some mailing labels for work anyhow, so I made up one that said "VEHICLE HEIGHT 2.3 m / 90" / 7 ft 6 in" and stuck it on the inside of the windshield above where the rear view mirror attaches.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Mmm... nice idea.

One of the 'new tools' that I'm getting for the upcoming build is a Brother label maker. Will use that and some transparent tape to make some clean labels for the top of the windshield with the vehicle height. (unladen, including the vent fan wide open)

·
Registered
963 Posts
The GPS i use is the rand-mcnally truck unit. It calls out anything under 10 ft i think. This is good and bad. Even though you can program it with your actual height, its too dumb to actually use the information. It forces you to take truck routes, and if you turn down a side street it goes ape with warnings. If you stay on car routes for a few blocks, it then stops caring altogether and will route you down alleys and dirt roads. Fun!

That said, ive never had a problem with height or drivethrus. Other than obvious oddballs like parking garages, its pretty rare to have a height issue.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've seen some stupidly low roofs at small town gas stations. That would probably be my biggest concern.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've seen some stupidly low roofs at small town gas stations. That would probably be my biggest concern.
And I've seen some stupidly low doofs at small town gas stations. Those doofs are always my biggest concern, especially if I pull in wearing me pink short-shorts. They scare me at times, if I'm to be honest. Those doofs ain't got no sense of style let alone humor sometimes.
:)PP

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
Just thinking about ye pink short-shorts scares me sometimes.... or all the time.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Garmin, and others have "RV" and "Truck" GPS units.

I bought the Garmin 760 RV LMT, https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/rv/rv-760lmt/prod135455.html (although cheaper elsewhere)

It supposedly with route you by the height you input. I've set it to ten feet to see how it works. Haven't really taken any trips with it to test it out or sought out a low bridge to check it. And there isn't anything local that is low enough to check it. Some mixed reviews on how well it works and how complete the database is.

It won't solve the gas station and drive thru problems though...

Not the only reason I purchased it though. Just hoped it might help a bit. I'm in a low roof and I carry kayaks so I'm still on the low side. I wanted the big display and the wireless backup cam option also.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Arch,

One word in your original post caught my eye... "parkway". You don't have a location in your profile, but in the CT-NY-NJ area, the word "parkway" triggers all kinds of restrictions.

In NY, your van basically can't go on a road with parkway in the title,
In CT, they have weight, height, width rules,
In NJ, parkway rules vary depending on which section of the parkway you're on!

Here's a link to the somewhat vague rules....

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/07/automobiles/07PARKWAYS.html

Ed

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
That's one reason amongst many I try to never drive thru the NY/NJ metro area. I'd rather drive 100 miles further and go thru Scranton on I84/81 from NE when traveling south.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Arch,

One word in your original post caught my eye... "parkway". You don't have a location in your profile, but in the CT-NY-NJ area, the word "parkway" triggers all kinds of restrictions.

Ed
Nice post - thanks!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Arch,

Ed
Yes. Your right. I am in NY. I have seats , windows and passenger plates on my PM. But apparently there are still places I can't drive.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Reading all those ridiculous rules made me happy to live in WI. We have truck routes in the cities, usually with a 6000 lb. limit on side streets. None of this is enforced on anything smaller than a straight box truck though. Plates 10,000 lbs. and up are considered commercial. I have 10,000 plates on my 3500 Sprinter at work. I've never been pulled over for weight restrictions in 20 years of driving plumbing trucks. I don't think they're interested in trying to screw with small business people. It's difficult to even get a second look for speeding. I have 8000 lb. plates on my PM because 8000 lbs. is the biggest truck plate you can have personalized.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts