Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all of those who've gone the under passenger seat route
with either the Espar or Webasto what are your thoughts?
Consider any other location?
If those locations lost out what was the reason?
Satisfied with performance/warmth/circulation?
Would you force placement somewhere else (if possible) now you
have lived with under seat placement?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Under pass seat is my next project. I chose that location because:

My layout is an open aisle all the way to back door.
I want heat to all areas to avoid condensation and cab window frosting.
I don't think there is an energy economy by having small areas isolated and not heated.
Heated air is forced entire length to rear doors, second coldest area.
Air return comes from cab, the coldest area.
No need to duct air with my layout.
No ducts reduces fan noise because air does not flow through a ribbed duct.
No ducts allows maximum efficiency and greatest heated air flow.
Will regulate temp at intake for uniform temp throughout van.
Rheostat at midway driver aisle bedside for ease of adjusting during night.

I'm open to other theories. Like your enthusiasm for sharing your build!

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I have a tool case there that I use a lot and I had the raised floor at our Dinette so I am pleased to have placed it a bit further back. We keep the cab cool by closing a curtain and placing it back more puts it in the heated section of the van. Now need to heat the cab.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RD I remember even recently looking over your build and admiring the raised dinette. That is a great method and location for the Espar and I can see the logic in not heating the cab.....but at the same time I don't see an issue with heating the cab either.

Roblee, well thought out. So the fan in the Espar is strong enough to blow air from the under passenger seat (UPS) area all the way to the rear doors? Well I can see that especially if you have a 136wb like we do and the open aisle approach would certainly augment that.

I'm hoping KloonieTunes will chime in as well. We hope to pick her brain on who in Denver (actual installer's name) did her install with hopes of shouting out to him with an excuse to drive to Denver :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
I don't expect the fan will blow all the way back with much force. The heated air starts in that direction so there is plenty of air mixing starting on the cold floor. Then I'm counting on convection and the intake to create a good air flow pattern and a decent uniform temp even in my 159wb. I'm working with MsNomer's suggestion, Kevin in Lincoln, NE. I'll report availability and price when I know.

Reactions: PopeAng

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roblee, never forget the lowly computer dc fans for moving air. They draw little, last forever, take up
little space.
If we go the UPS (under pass.seat) position (which we plan on) then on top of our central tower, e.g. the
big tall cabinet behind the driver's seat, and at the bottom of the tower (in the section containing the
charger-inverter) we are already scheming computer fans to do a serious mix-up of air. Further in our
case we can aim the pc fan on top of the tower toward the passenger seat area.

Kevin in Lincoln, NE. Keep me in the loop please. Lincoln is 1/2 day drive closer than Denver !!

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I really don’t think you will need the fans even if you use the under seat location. The van is a small space really and pushing the air 10-12 feet should be no issue. If that is not true add the computer fans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts