Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We decided to buy the Promaster after looking at a couple of the options, Ford and Sprinter, due to its availability with a high top in the shorter wheelbase. We had a broker hunting for a low milage used van for a couple of months to no avail, so we bought the 2017. It has some nice upgrades, the backup camera, UConnect, and interior convenience package, my favorite parts are the overhead storage in the cabin and the finished storage area above the cab.

The first project is nearly complete, installing a fantastic fan 2250. Its the model with a thermostat but no the automatic hatch or remote. I purchased the Impact3D adapter plate to mount the fan and followed Hein's instructions. I used the adapter as a template to sharpie the cut line onto the roof. Then took a few deep breathes and cut a 14x14 inch hole in my brand new van, whew. Then I cleaned up the edge with a file and finished with some Rust-oleum. They recommend using 3m Window Weld adhesive to bond the adapter to the roof, which is some terrible stuff to work with but seems like it should do the trick. Its also a little hard to source, but Napa carries it for $28 a 11 oz tube, not cheap stuff. He recommends letting the stuff cure overnight prior to fixing the fan into the hole so I will finish it off this morning once the temps rise above freezing.

While I was waiting for the paint to dry enough to mount the adapter plate, I pulled a length of 14 gauge, in-wall speaker wire I got at HD through the roof channel and down the drivers side post. I intend to mount the battery in a box behind the driver's seat and put the distribution on a piece of hardboard mounted the the back of the seat base. I chose this location for its proximity to the PM's battery well. I wrapped the vinyl coated wire in 1/4" loom purchased on amazon. The stuff it difficult to work with and am wondering if its truly necessary to run the whole length of the cable run with the loom. Any opinion's ?

Today I plan to finish mounting the fan and test with a 12V power supply, then run 5 more wires for my house LED lighting and plugs. Upon completion, I'll start the insulation. I chose to go with a recycled foam batting my local van conversion guy suggested after a long discussion about the pro's and con's of various insulations and my intended use for the van. I had originally been planning to use Polyiso board but he convinced me that it was not the right tool for the job. The foam pad can be built up to ~R15 on the walls and ceiling. It also is much easier to work with the flexible material, especially for the many small channels and holes in the PM. He spent about an hour going over how to install it and even let me take a look in a PM he had in the bay to see how they install it.

I'll add pictures shortly.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Looks good!

Looks like you put your fan towards the back of the van. What did you use to fill between the ribs on the inside of the van?

I plan on putting my fan in the back as well so I have air flow in the sleeping area. What was your thought process for the back of the van?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris,

Looks like you're off to a great start!

"recycled foam batting"? More info as to what you're using? My van is 3/4 done but no ceiling or ceiling insulation yet... planning on polyiso based on many comments here.

Have fun!
ed
Its about a quarter inch thick, and looks a little like carpet padding. Its chunky pieces of foam, stuck to a mesh backing. Its used by HVAC guys for duct insulation. A roll large enough to do 2 layers on ceiling and 3 layers on walls cost me 200 from the van conversion guy who told me about it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, did you put it on the outside or the inside, and why? I want a fan but feel like maybe 2 of the adapters.
I put in on the outside to create a flat surface on which to install the fan. I think if you were going to only use one, the outside makes most sense. I'm not clear on why one would use the one under the roof other than aesthetics. I suppose the sandwich effect might have something to do with it but most of the install information out there doesn't use the internal adapter.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks good!

Looks like you put your fan towards the back of the van. What did you use to fill between the ribs on the inside of the van?

I plan on putting my fan in the back as well so I have air flow in the sleeping area. What was your thought process for the back of the van?
Our bed will be in the rear of the van, the dogs will be on the bed and we want to be able to leave them occasionally, also, I bought the Impact3d adapter, which isn't required on the front of the 2017 as it has a nice flat area where one might add a moonroof.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chris, I notice your local conversion guy talked you out of linoleum. I'm curious as to why, given that my Marmoleum (modern linoleum) has been a solid performer for two years.
His rationale as based on my intended use as a part-time camper, and some time hauler. He said linoleum can buckle and crack under certain stresses and that he prefers a rubber material that is easier to cut in and doesn't necessarily require glueing, which appeals to me as well. It's ~ the same cost per sq ft as a high grade linoleum, so I'll probably go that route.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts