Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On this past week's four day trip for the eclipse we experience our first failure.
The Kenwood in-dash navi-radio unit failed.
At first some on screen menu buttons didn't work. An hour later the screen went blank.
Going into reverse the rear camera did work but after an hour and another stop and it failed as well.
This was a kinda pricy unit around $850 and when it worked it was fantastic at navigation and OK for
sound quality.
Called Best-Buy where it was installed and made the appointment
for this Saturday. Went by Best-Buy yesterday on another mission to pick up a Mini-4 pad (they've gotten really cheap)
and talked to the installer who informed me it was his last day :(
Hope Best-buy has his replacement working today! or we'll be using the phone the next trip to navigate.
When we get back, assuming nothing happens today, we'll find out how good Best-buy is with repair/warranty.

·
Registered
627 Posts
or we'll be using the phone the next trip to navigate.
Sorry to hear of the failure . . . we'll follow your saga.

But on the issue of 'phone app navigation' - - we've tried several approaches, but still find the Google Nav phone app to be the best and our 'go to' navigation system. Maybe it's just what one gets used to . . .

By the way, how are you liking your WeBoost? We're still contemplating how to extend 'data' access (using our phone as a hotspot) and wondering if the WeBoost works well for you in that capacity?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Saga continued.
Issue resolved yesterday (yes Sunday) at BestBuy. Kenwood unit was replaced completely. I know because I'd forgotten and left a micro-SD card in it and the new unit in the PM had a 'keeper' in the slot. New unit works a charm but it should it's new ;)
But now I have no faith in Kenwood...just me. Yes we both have Samsung's than can navigate but we've found ourselves using both systems and in varying capacity...two is a charm.
But with the lost faith in Kenwood I've added a standalone GPS module for my WiFi only Ipad mini-4, insurance plan for the larger screen. I usually use the mini-4 for the drone so now it can enjoy double duty if pressed.
Also to note, the Kenwood was 7 months old when it failed AND I'd purchased extended plan on top of the one year. Geek squad repair/replace is country wide but who would want to spend a day waiting down the road.

The WeBoost Winston is tops (thanks again MsNomer)! But I have to be in the PM and even semi-close to the internal antenna. Turning it off and on one can easily see that it can take a half-bar and yield 3-4 which is really impressive to me. Maybe there are others out there that are even better, I don't know. The heat issue seems to be oft commented on, and we have the plastic panel walls but the heat as tested by my hand has never been excessive even after being on 12 hours. There is an air gap behind the unit natural to its structure so no worries there.
Now the antenna height might be an issue in the future. You may recall we went with the trucker's model which is probably a good reason we get such good results but sooner or later (Going to the Sun Road as an example) I'll have to either climb up and temporarily remove or find a rental :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts