Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster camping conversion.
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our family of 4 build

We purchased our 2017 Ram Promaster 159"WB with just over 35K miles last July 2020, a story in itself, and anxiously began our build with an expectation that it would be ready by late September. Well...work, kids, life, COVID etc acted as speed bumps and it wasn't until Mother's Day weekend ‘21 until it was ready for its first voyage. The trip proved wildly successful as we woke up to torrential rain/snow and freezing temperatures while staying toasty warm and dry.

The build alone was, by all means, quite an adventure for us as we had little to no experience in carpentry, 12v electricity, HVAC, fabrication and pretty much everything else that went into the build but, that’s part of what this adventure was all about.

Our biggest challenge was ensuring a safe and comfortable experience for not only my wife and I, but our two kids as well which were the primary drivers behind our design. This meant we had to engineer seating and sleeping with ample storage for 4. In our research, ~90% of the builds we encountered were for 2 so we didn’t have a ton to go by when it came to the seating and sleeping, but we did have a foundation. Thankfully, we had a good friend willing to help us design and fabricate custom brackets that enabled us to mount the kid’s seat to the frame of the vehicle. In a quest to avoid the time and $$$ of a Happijac, we went through 3 concepts before we landed on our design for a bunk system.

We have no intention to live in the van full time, though we hope to enjoy extended trips during all 4 seasons so we incorporated heating, ski / snowboard storage and an efficient electrical system that can accommodate everything from boondocking to driveway camping and remote working. I had a ton of fun with that part of the build and so far, it’s been flawless. 🤞

None of this would have been possible if it weren’t for the amazing and insightful resources on this site as well as the community of videos found on Youtube. I did my best to document our process as much as possible not only for our personal documentation, but also as a resource to give back. Builds for 4 are rare so I’m sure others will be able to benefit from our successes and failures.

Browse the full build experience at Van Wyatt

Follow along the van’s experiences via Instagram at: Login • Instagram

Thanks!

·
Registered
2017, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster camping conversion.
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your van is well thought out and executed. I feel your pain with that closet wall. I had one like that.
Thanks! Yes that wall, and dealing with Sikaflex PG2 during the window installation, were my two least favorite experiences.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts